Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Choosing a Replacement Toilet

My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it, decided
to replace the toilet and vanity. It seems to me that a toilet that
has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked
by waste. Is this correct? What is this called? What other features
are important?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it, decided
to replace the toilet and vanity. It seems to me that a toilet that
has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked
by waste. Is this correct? What is this called? What other features
are important?

Ignore Usenet hearsay, marketing double talk and get the facts.Pick up a copy of
the latest Maximum Performance Test of low flow toilets he

http://www.cwwa.ca/freepub_e.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it,
decided
to replace the toilet and vanity. It seems to me that a toilet that
has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked
by waste. Is this correct? What is this called? What other
features
are important?

Get an oval shaped toilet base. Then you have more room to stick your
hand in there to wipe!

Then get a Bio Bidet BB 1000 toilet seat which has these features...
Remote Control
Powerful deodorizer with carbon filter
Heated Seat
Warm Air Dry
Hydraulic Seat and Cover
Wide Cleaning
Massage Cleaning

http://www.biobidet.com/BB1000_SupremeBidet.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you have a existing toilet that works well your far better off
keeping it.

or at least drain and clean it and put in shed for safe keeping.

newer low flow toilets have lots of possible downsides from totos
excess noise, to easy plugging, to well name everything that could go
wrong with a toilet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2011 1:00 AM, Bill wrote:
wrote in message
My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it, decided
to replace the toilet and vanity. It seems to me that a toilet that
has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked
by waste. Is this correct? What is this called? What other features
are important?

Get an oval shaped toilet base. Then you have more room to stick your
hand in there to wipe!

Then get a Bio Bidet BB 1000 toilet seat which has these features...
Remote Control
Powerful deodorizer with carbon filter
Heated Seat
Warm Air Dry
Hydraulic Seat and Cover
Wide Cleaning
Massage Cleaning

http://www.biobidet.com/BB1000_SupremeBidet.htm

I would probably hit the ceiling if something squirted my butt, blew on
and wiped it while I was sitting on the toilet. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:51:14 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it, decided
to replace the toilet and vanity. It seems to me that a toilet that
has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked
by waste. Is this correct? What is this called? What other features
are important?

American Standard has been touting the no-clog feature of their Cadet
with the large opening. Kohler makes some very good models. We have
some at work and they have never clogged.

Get an oval and check the height. In recent years, they have been
getting a bit higher so it is easier to stand up after using them.

..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it,
decided to replace the toilet and vanity. It seems to me that a
toilet that has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to
get blocked by waste. Is this correct? What is this called? What
other features are important?

American Standard has been touting the no-clog feature of their Cadet
with the large opening. Kohler makes some very good models. We have
some at work and they have never clogged.

Get an oval and check the height. In recent years, they have been
getting a bit higher so it is easier to stand up after using them.

Second that. The taller (17") toilets are MUCH easier to use than the
standard 14" ones. As my current squeeze observes: "I never imagined that an
extra three inches could make such a difference!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it, decided
to replace the toilet and vanity. It seems to me that a toilet that
has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked
by waste. Is this correct? What is this called? What other features
are important?

American Standard has been touting the no-clog feature of their Cadet
with the large opening. Kohler makes some very good models. We have
some at work and they have never clogged.

Get an oval and check the height. In recent years, they have been
getting a bit higher so it is easier to stand up after using them.

.

Agreed
Unless you are vertically challenge, get the tallest highest one you can.
It just standing up so much easier with creaky knees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it, decided
to replace the toilet and vanity. *It seems to me that a toilet that
has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked
by waste. *Is this correct? *What is this called? *What other features
are important?

American Standard has been touting the no-clog feature of their Cadet
with the large opening. *Kohler makes some very good models. *We have
some at work and they have never clogged.

Get an oval and check the height. *In recent years, they have been
getting a bit higher so it is easier to stand up after using them.

.

Agreed
Unless you are vertically challenge, get the tallest highest one you can.
* * It just standing up so much easier with creaky knees.

Hello, this is the wife of bobneworleans.
Thanks for all the good advice, y'all!
Can someone recommend a good toilet model that has high efficiency for
flushing solid waste, as well as a quiet automatic-dropping lid to
please the wife? (example: Kohler quiet-close)
thanks,
mrs.bobneworleans

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fran" wrote in message
On Dec 9, 8:18 am, "Attila.Iskander" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Hello, this is the wife of bobneworleans.
Thanks for all the good advice, y'all!
Can someone recommend a good toilet model that has high efficiency for
flushing solid waste, as well as a quiet automatic-dropping lid to
please the wife? (example: Kohler quiet-close)
thanks,
mrs.bobneworleans

The Toto Ultimate One-Piece. We bought one 4 years ago to replace an ancient
American Standard. Even with gallons of water that thing clogged all the
time. The Toto is quiet, has an auto-close (silent) lid, and has never, ever
clogged. I'm sure we still have a plunger, but I don't know where it is.
When we build an addition next year we will be putting the Toto Ultimate in
both of the new bathrooms. 4 years ago we paid just over $500 on
homeclick.com, but now they're selling for just over $300. And that includes
free shipping! 4 years ago the only local place that carried Toto wanted
$700 and they charged extra for delivery! I'm not affiliated with either
Toto or homeclick.com. Someone on this group recommended both. I did some
research and decided that the advice was good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 12:09*am, Robert Neville wrote:
" wrote:
My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it, decided
to replace the toilet and vanity. *It seems to me that a toilet that
has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked
by waste. *Is this correct? *What is this called? *What other features
are important?

Ignore Usenet hearsay, marketing double talk and get the facts.Pick up a copy of
the latest Maximum Performance Test of low flow toilets he

http://www.cwwa.ca/freepub_e.asp

A quick check of that site seems to show that the reports haven't been
updated since October 2009.

If that's true, the data may be a bit stale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it,
decided to replace the toilet and vanity. *It seems to me that a
toilet that has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to
get blocked by waste. *Is this correct? *What is this called? *What
other features are important?

American Standard has been touting the no-clog feature of their Cadet
with the large opening. *Kohler makes some very good models. *We have
some at work and they have never clogged.

Get an oval and check the height. *In recent years, they have been
getting a bit higher so it is easier to stand up after using them.

Second that. The taller (17") toilets are MUCH easier to use than the
standard 14" ones. As my current squeeze observes: "I never imagined that an
extra three inches could make such a difference!"- Hide quoted text -

For sure. Get the tallest one you can find. No one gets any younger
and if you stay in your house, you _will_ start wishing for a taller
one.

As for ease of getting off - put a handgrab just within reach of the
pot. I had to 'handicap access' my house for the wife. The day I put
that hand grab up and used it, I realized I should have done it 30
years ago.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 12:20*am, bob haller wrote:
if you have a existing toilet that works well your far better off
keeping it.

or at least drain and clean it and put in shed for safe keeping.

newer low flow toilets have lots of possible downsides from totos
excess noise, to easy plugging, to well name everything that could go
wrong with a toilet

We have had a Toto for some 6 or 8 years now. Have _never_ had a plug
with it and the noise is not noticeably different from the old one.

Main drawback I see to the low-flow is the small 'target pool', not
everythign hits it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 7:46*am, "h" wrote:
"Fran" wrote in message

[...]

I wish I had known about homeclick when we bought. Every source for
Toto I could find on the net would only sell to dealers.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
On 12/9/2011 6:52 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

stuff snipped

As my current squeeze observes: "I never imagined that an
extra three inches could make such a difference!"

lol

She was talking about what happens to "HeyBub's Angry Inch" after she blows
on it. (-:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angry_Inch

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 12:14*pm, Robert Neville wrote:
Fran wrote:
Can someone recommend a good toilet model that has high efficiency for
flushing solid waste, as well as a quiet automatic-dropping lid to
please the wife? (example: Kohler quiet-close)

The flushing efficiency results are in the MAP document that was posted earlier
in this thread:http://www.a4we.org/uploadedFiles/Re...ry/products/Ma...

The lid closer is something that could be retrofitted to any toilet.

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060...ng-and-closing...

This is the original poster.
Thanks to everyone who replied. Yesterday, my wife and I purchased an
American Standard, Champion 4 model from Home Depot. Several of you
recommended the elongated style and higher height; this model has
both. And my wife was delighted to see that this toilet comes
standard with a slow-closing seat (and probably lid).

Also, special thanks to Robert Neville who (twice) recommended I look
at the MAP Report, which quantifies toilets' effectiveness in removing
solid waste. All the toilets we were considering remove 800 - 1000g
simulated waste in a single flush. This is more than twice the
largest load expected. Apparently, incomplete waste removal is no
longer an issue with modern toilets:
"The fixtures available in the marketplace today are significantly
better performers than those MaP tested as recently as 2003 and far
superior to many of those produced in the early 1990s."

I'm glad I posted my question in a place where I was able to get
valuable and useful information.
Bob Simon
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fran wrote:
[...]

Keep your old toilet just in case.......