Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Choosing a Toilet

Rather than repairing a leaky, creaky old toilet in a half-bath in my
house, I have decided to replace it. That brought on the sudden
realization that I have never bought a new toilet in my life. I've
repaired several toilets in several houses that I've owned, but this
is the first purchase.

One thing that I want to do is to take advantage of the new features
that are being offered on new toilets these days.

First, I want a "comfort height" toilet. I'm in good physical
condition now, but I am not getting any younger. A sprained ankle that
I got from skiing reminded me that I should make my house more
accessible in order to accommodate any physical issues that I may
encounter during the next 30 years. As long as the changes don't make
life more difficult for a healthy person, I will try to implement the
changes as the projects occur. A comfort-height toilet seems innocuous
enough. Anyone have any comments on tall toilets?

Next, I noticed that many of the new toilets are claiming to have
large flush capacity ("100 Feet of toilet paper", and such). Do these
claims have any basis in fact? Do they indeed reduce clogs? It's not
like clogs happen very often, but it would be nice to have a lower
likelihood.

Next, I saw one toilet that is claiming exceptional quietness. Since
most of the noise for a toilet is in the plumbing, can they indeed
reduce the noise significantly? If they do, how can I tell when it is
running excessively, and needs a new flapper?

Any assistance from someone who has recently replaced their toilet
would be appreciated.

Luke
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Definitely, especially as you get older. I just moved into a new
house, and plan to replace the "builder's special" in the near future.
Did one in my old house, mostly because during a new flooring job,
contractor damaged the old one.

First, I want a "comfort height" toilet. I'm in good physical
condition now, but I am not getting any younger. A sprained ankle that
I got from skiing reminded me that I should make my house more
accessible in order to accommodate any physical issues that I may
encounter during the next 30 years. As long as the changes don't make
life more difficult for a healthy person, I will try to implement the
changes as the projects occur. A comfort-height toilet seems innocuous
enough. Anyone have any comments on tall toilets?

The new ones tend to clog, IMHO. A "plumber's helper" is your best
friend. I have one for each toilet. Multiple flushes at appropriate
intervals does the trick.

Next, I noticed that many of the new toilets are claiming to have
large flush capacity ("100 Feet of toilet paper", and such). Do these
claims have any basis in fact? Do they indeed reduce clogs? It's not
like clogs happen very often, but it would be nice to have a lower
likelihood.

Can't speak to this issue, sorry. The problem is disturbing the spouse
or dog in the middle of the night.

Next, I saw one toilet that is claiming exceptional quietness. Since
most of the noise for a toilet is in the plumbing, can they indeed
reduce the noise significantly? If they do, how can I tell when it is
running excessively, and needs a new flapper?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Wait till you see the differences in taller toilets' prices. My husband and
I are well over 65 and getting down is not bad but getting up is a different
matter. Guess well will just have to deal with it.

--
"Anybody can have more birthdays, but it takes balls to get old!"

BetsyB

"Luke Howett Fitzhugh" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

betsyb wrote:

Wait till you see the differences in taller toilets' prices. My husband and
I are well over 65 and getting down is not bad but getting up is a different
matter. Guess well will just have to deal with it.

I added a door pull on the wall (securely fastened)
to assist in levering oneself up:
http://www.worldofbrass.co.uk/shop/71/76/index.htm

Helpful even with a bum back...

Jim
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:

Any assistance from someone who has recently replaced their toilet
would be appreciated.

Ignore Usenet hearsay, marketing double talk and get the facts.Pick up a copy of
the latest Maximum Performance Test of low flow toilets he

http://www.cwwa.ca/home_e.asp

Look for the link that says "6 Litre Toilets" and then click on the 8th edition
report.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 5:35 pm, Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:
[...]

I have a new Toto that I like. They make a lot of models and I have
another but this one cost $100 more and is quieter. Neither has ever
clogged. I think in the beginning, the lower water use mandated
toilets did not flush as well as the old high volume ones but I do not
think this is true any longer.

Frank

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On 10 Mar 2007 14:46:45 -0800, professorpaul wrote:

[entire post snipped]

Hey Professor! That was the hardest post to read that I can recall. I had
to read the 2nd paragraph, then the 1st, then the 4th, then the 3rd, and so
on. Very strange. And you're a professor!? Could you please learn how to
properly post. Usenet is a question and then answer type of discussion. And
we that read English read from top down. Thanks.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:04:00 GMT, John~*

The Rolls-Royce of toilets is the Toto. Yes, they are pricey, but if
you can afford it, it's the last toilet you will ever buy. You can
look them over at http://www.totousa.com/consumer_landing.asp and even
find a dealer in your area. You wanted modern features, so be sure and
look over the section on "washlets", but don't you dare show momma or
you are doomed.

Like any other household appliance, you get what you pay for.

That is one of those snappy sayings that I never believed. If anyone
believes that statement, then I have a $200 Thousand Ford Escort to
sell you.

The Toto certainly looks advanced, but I didn't know what a 'washlet'
was. It's a stealth bidet. I'd have to warn my guests, or risk getting
slapped. Sadly, from the looks of it, Toto is out of my price range. I
will have to stick with those items stocked at my local Lowe's Home
Center.

Luke
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Luke Howett Fitzhugh" wrote...

First, I want a "comfort height" toilet. I'm in good physical
condition now, but I am not getting any younger. A sprained ankle that
I got from skiing reminded me that I should make my house more
accessible in order to accommodate any physical issues that I may
encounter during the next 30 years. As long as the changes don't make
life more difficult for a healthy person, I will try to implement the
changes as the projects occur. A comfort-height toilet seems innocuous
enough. Anyone have any comments on tall toilets?

It's been over 2 years since I did the research, but it appears from Terry
Love's site at http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm that the Toto Drake ADA
height is still the one you want. I bought 2 of them, and am VERY happy
with the choice!

The Drake just works well. It is low flow, so it meets all the
enviro-restrictions. It is quiet (though not as quiet as some fancy
"silent" toilets. It is not "high tech," so you won't have to worry about
replacing expensive gizmos like pressure tanks. It DOES use a proprietary,
larger-size flapper valve, but that is one of the keys to its working so
well. I have yet to have to re-flush.

Next, I noticed that many of the new toilets are claiming to have
large flush capacity ("100 Feet of toilet paper", and such). Do these
claims have any basis in fact? Do they indeed reduce clogs? It's not
like clogs happen very often, but it would be nice to have a lower
likelihood.

Yes. The Drake uses a larger flapper valve and a larger diameter, less
restrictive trap. The combination of higher water flow rate and less
restrictive trap increases flushing efficiency and reduces clog potential
without noisy, fancy high-pressure rigs.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, John~* wrote:

The Rolls-Royce of toilets is the Toto. Yes, they are pricey, but if
you can afford it, it's the last toilet you will ever buy. You can
look them over at http://www.totousa.com/consumer_landing.asp

I have this Toto on order: http://homeclick.com/showpage.asp?itemid=52409

Since it isn't installed yet I can't comment. I started off wanting the
higher seat, but then gave in and decided a more retro look in my 1891
house made more sense.

I did not buy it from HomeClick, though their prices are almost impossible
to beat. Instead I paid some more and simply rolled it in with the vanity
and all the other bath equipment at the local place where my contractor can
simply pick everything up. Otherwise I'd have to stick around home to take
delivery, and possibly be stuck with something too heavy to carry into the
house by myself. (Though if UPS I'm friendly enough with the fellow I
expect I could get him to leave it inside the door.)

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:
Rather than repairing a leaky, creaky old toilet in a half-bath in my
house, I have decided to replace it. That brought on the sudden
realization that I have never bought a new toilet in my life. I've
repaired several toilets in several houses that I've owned, but this
is the first purchase.

I will only try to address one issue. Function. As you look at the
specs, you want to pay attention to two of them.

First it should be "Fully Glazed" That means the part of the drain you
don't see, the part where things get clogged, is fully glazed like the parts
you do see. If it does not say fully glazed, then inside that pipe there
are sections that are not fully glazed and have a consistency somewhat like
sand paper. Things that you don't want to see again slide on the glass like
finish (glazed) much better than on sand paper.

Next you want to look for a trap size (the trap is the part that is
hopefully fully glazed) is at a minimum 2 inches and larger is much better.
I would not buy less than 2 inches myself.

Between the two you get a slippery large opening to get rid of the
unwanted.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

I'm in luck! Consumer Reports has a review of toilets online from Aug.
2005. They talk about some of the things I was interested in. Should
have gone there, first. With the comments from this newsgroup, and the
analyses on CR, I'm confident that I'll have a reliable throne
installed by Monday.

Anyway, it looks like the Eljer Titan is going to deserve some
investigation. It's not easy to test a toilet in the showroom!

Luke
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:00:05 -0500, "betsyb"
wrote:

Wait till you see the differences in taller toilets' prices. My husband and
I are well over 65 and getting down is not bad but getting up is a different
matter. Guess well will just have to deal with it.

Thanks for the insight, BetsyB. Situations like what you describe is
exactly what I am trying to prepare for. I may have the money now for
a taller toilet, but I probably won't have the money after I retire
and go on a fixed income (in a couple of decades).

Trying to 'make hay while the sun shines'.

Luke
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:
Any assistance from someone who has recently replaced their toilet
would be appreciated.

Must have features: elongaged shape, "comfort" or ADA compliant height. I was
looking for a toilet that would flush in one shot compared to the weaker one it
was replacing. I ended up with an American Standard Champion.

It's not quiet at all, but that wasn't important. It so far hasn't choked on
anything that's been dumped in it, pardon the pun. What it doesn't do well is
clean the sides of the toilet when it flushes. Everything will go down but you
may be left with skid marks on the sides.

Whatever you decide, there are no down sides to choosing elongation and comfort
height. If your kids are that small where they might fall in, be sure to have a
roll call every evening before bed to make sure they're all still there.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:06:36 GMT, John~*
No problem; buy the "Acme Deluxe Toilet" and plunge it three times a
week.

Sorry I wasted my time trying to help....

With that attitude, so am I.

Luke

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 3:27 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
betsyb wrote:
Wait till you see the differences in taller toilets' prices. My husband and
I are well over 65 and getting down is not bad but getting up is a different
matter. Guess well will just have to deal with it.

I added a door pull on the wall (securely fastened)
to assist in levering oneself up:http://www.worldofbrass.co.uk/shop/71/76/index.htm

Helpful even with a bum back...

Jim

Same here but I used a handle built for the purpose. DO NOT buy one
from a medical supply co. The same thing in a hardware store will
cost 1/3 of that. Also installed two just outside the tub/shower.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 7:06 pm, John~

wrote:
In article , Luke Howett

wrote:

[...]

Sorry I wasted my time trying to help....- Hide quoted text -

That is way out of line. I suggest you go plunge your head a few
times.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:

I'm in luck! Consumer Reports has a review of toilets online from Aug.
2005. They talk about some of the things I was interested in. Should
have gone there, first. With the comments from this newsgroup, and the
analyses on CR, I'm confident that I'll have a reliable throne
installed by Monday.

The problem with that article is they only tested a minute fraction of the
toilet models that are available in the market place.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 6:10 pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
wrote:
Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:
[...]

I installed a Toto. Outstanding. The part about the skid marks is
true. Probably true of all 'low flow' brands. Anything that doesn't
land in water leaves a skid mark and you can't have 'low flow' and a
large water pool at the same time.

Noise - yep, mine is too. I will gladly accept the noisy flush over
the repeated flushes of the POS I replaced.

I had forgotten just how miserable those 'non-comfort height' or non-
ADA toilets were until today. Had to use one at the house of a guy I
was helping out. Thought I had missed the seat before I finally hit
it.

I gaurantee anyone replaceing a toilet and doesn't use one of the
taller ones will regret it when they get up to the senior years.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Mar 10, 9:33 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:

I'm in luck! Consumer Reports has a review of toilets online from Aug.
2005. They talk about some of the things I was interested in. Should
have gone there, first. With the comments from this newsgroup, and the
analyses on CR, I'm confident that I'll have a reliable throne
installed by Monday.

The problem with that article is they only tested a minute fraction of the
toilet models that are available in the market place.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

If you want to buy Com hieght good idea many of my clients have . If
you buy 6ltr get one that as some one else said fully glazed 2 inch no
smaller opening. 2 button toilets are good but you can save money and
hold the lever till the water in the bowl goe,s down, you then have
used the full 6 ltrs. Nost people that tell me they will never buy
another 6 just don,t know how to flush it properly. You have to hold
the handle till the water starts to go down in the bowl it has then
used the full tank not half as it would if you flick and walk
away.Crane Kohler American Standerd all very good. Good Luck

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Wait till you see the differences in taller toilets' prices. My husband and
I are well over 65 and getting down is not bad but getting up is a different
matter. Guess well will just have to deal with it.

Thanks for the insight, BetsyB. Situations like what you describe is
exactly what I am trying to prepare for. I may have the money now for
a taller toilet, but I probably won't have the money after I retire
and go on a fixed income (in a couple of decades).

How does that work? If you don't spend it now, won't you have it
later?

Trying to 'make hay while the sun shines'.

Luke

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:04:00 GMT, John~*

Funny story; I had a roofer out the other day who offered me a great
deal on premium shingles with a 35 year warranty. I looked him in the
eye and said "Listen, sonny; I'm 60 years old. Why the hell would I
waste my money on a shingle with a 35 year warranty?"

I made the opposite mistake. When I was 55, I bought a 25 year roof.

Should have bought longer.

I'm going to have to by a new roof when I only have 10 years to live.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:33:55 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:

I'm in luck! Consumer Reports has a review of toilets online from Aug.
2005. They talk about some of the things I was interested in. Should
have gone there, first. With the comments from this newsgroup, and the
analyses on CR, I'm confident that I'll have a reliable throne
installed by Monday.

The problem with that article is they only tested a minute fraction of the
toilet models that are available in the market place.

No other source of information that I could find has tested as many
toilets as CR did. No other source did as detailed a test. CR tested
Crane, Eljer, Kohler, Gerber, American Standard, Toto, Mansfield,
Niagara, Jacuzzi, Briggs and Sterling. That's a bigger sample set than
is available locally. I'm satisfied with that.

Luke
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

************************************************* **************
No problem; buy the "Acme Deluxe Toilet" and plunge it three times a
week.

Sorry I wasted my time trying to help....

With that attitude, so am I.

You really shoudln't complain Luke, because you provoked it.

Let's see:

That is one of those snappy sayings that I never believed. If anyone
believes that statement, then I have a $200 Thousand Ford Escort to
sell you.

In the paragraph above basically you called him a fool.

The Toto certainly looks advanced, but I didn't know what a 'washlet'
was. It's a stealth bidet. I'd have to warn my guests, or risk getting
slapped. Sadly, from the looks of it, Toto is out of my price range. I
will have to stick with those items stocked at my local Lowe's Home
Center.

I don't know what this paragraph means but I know it didnt' undo the
first paragraph.

And he was trying to help. So who's the one with the attitude?

Luke

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:04:04 -0500, mm
wrote:

Thanks for the insight, BetsyB. Situations like what you describe is
exactly what I am trying to prepare for. I may have the money now for
a taller toilet, but I probably won't have the money after I retire
and go on a fixed income (in a couple of decades).

How does that work? If you don't spend it now, won't you have it
later?

It's really not that complicated. My income right now is higher than
it will be when I am retired.

Luke

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:07:27 -0500, mm
wrote:

So who's the one with the attitude?

You?
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Ebay is your friend.

The seller there ship the newer toilets at a cost less than you buy
it for at home depot.

Myself wants a tall model with a pressurized tank and huge pipes and
oversize seat.

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:35:58 -0500, Luke Howett Fitzhugh
wrote:

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Fitzhugh wrote:

[...]

John

yeah, I was telling the young pilot of a commuter jet that I was
wearing underwear older than he is.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

You can buy a Toto Drake for $200 they are rated at 900 out of 1000 points
by the US and Canadian government flush tests. 900 is likely much higher
than any Home depot toilet is rated.

cm

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

When I renovated my bathroom, I put in an American Standard
Cadet, with an elongated bowl, and have not regretted it.
At the same time, I put in a handrail along the wall, with a bracket
every 16". And another one vertical along the side of the shower.
We use the horizontal one as a towel bar, but it's there if anybody
should feel unsteady.
Little did I know that it would be me to be appreciative of it. The
next year, my knee was injured, I had to have surgery, and I was in
a leg brace to prevent me from bending my knee. You just can't
believe how appreciative I was that I was able to ease myself down
on the commode with one of my legs not being able to be bent.
And if anybody else does this, I used a 1x4 secured to the 2x4 in
the wall with a lag screw in a predrilled hole, so that I wouldn't
have
to depend on hitting the 2x4 perfectly with the handrail mounting
screws.

On Mar 10, 5:35 pm, Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:
Rather than repairing a leaky, creaky old toilet in a half-bath in my
house, I have decided to replace it. That brought on the sudden
realization that I have never bought a new toilet in my life. I've
repaired several toilets in several houses that I've owned, but this
is the first purchase.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Forget the pressurized tank stuff. There was a bunch of them put in
for water conservation, but there was a distressing failure rate. You
want an excellent flush, do what I did.
I've got my tank on a shelf over 2 feet above the commode. That's a
2" pipe fitting in the bottom of the tank, and I connected it to the
commode with one of those plumbing fittings that go into the inside
of the opening and as you tighten it, it presses its outer rubber ring
outwards to snug up.
No, I don't care about it being quiet, I want it to do its job quickly
and efficiently. And since I didn't need to use American Standard's
tank, I got one incredibly cheap for size and configuration (whoever
makes Tank 3412, in Mexico).
And I use a Korky Original flapper. Quick flick for yellow, longer for
brown.

On Mar 11, 3:02 am, Deke wrote:
Ebay is your friend.

The seller there ship the newer toilets at a cost less than you buy
it for at home depot.

Myself wants a tall model with a pressurized tank and huge pipes and
oversize seat.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:04:04 -0500, mm wrote:
How does that work? If you don't spend it now, won't you have it
later?

It's really not that complicated. My income right now is higher than
it will be when I am retired.

Hey Luke,

Many people, if they didn't spend it now would save the money. From what
you are writing, if you didn't spend it now on the toilet you'd fritter it
away on some non-asset expenditure.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:

So who's the one with the attitude?

You?

Looks like it to me. You explained very well _why_ you couldn't go
with teh expensive item. Just why that should draw assholish

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Luke Howett Fitzhugh" wrote in message

Rather than repairing a leaky, creaky old toilet in a half-bath in my
house, I have decided to replace it. That brought on the sudden
realization that I have never bought a new toilet in my life.
. . .
First, I want a "comfort height" toilet. I'm in good physical
condition now, but I am not getting any younger.

You have apparently not traveled in Europe. The "standard" 14"
height for toilet bowls is much lower in N.America than in most
European countries (apparently for the convenience of families
with small children, but not enough gumption to provide a
convenient step or stool for children.)

A taller toilet (18 or 20" high) is preferable for all adults (and
may help certain types of mechanism flush better. In places
which sell only standard-height toilets they can be mounted
higher, i.e. set on a small platform 4 to 8" above the floor. I
have seen such installations in Montreal (built 1900-1950.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

John~
wrote:

Funny story; I had a roofer out the other day who offered me a great
deal on premium shingles with a 35 year warranty. I looked him in the
eye and said "Listen, sonny; I'm 60 years old. Why the hell would I
waste my money on a shingle with a 35 year warranty?"

The Rolls-Royce of toilets is the Toto. Yes, they are pricey, but if
you can afford it, it's the last toilet you will ever buy. You can
look them over at http://www.totousa.com/consumer_landing.asp and even
find a dealer in your area. You wanted modern features, so be sure and
look over the section on "washlets", but don't you dare show momma or
you are doomed.

Like any other household appliance, you get what you pay for.

I'm surprised the roofer didn't point out the benefits & cost break down
of a better product.

On one hand you indicate it's "wasting" money to buy better, then you
indicate "you get what you pay for". You contradict yourself.

This link may be the best information you ever received on the net.
http://tinyurl.com/3cz4ns

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

So who's the one with the attitude?

You?

I'm a neutral observer.

Except that I've been in your shoes, where I don't like the advice.

There can be two competing forces, a) the desire and the worthy goal
to keep the record straight by giving the disadvantages of the advice
one doesn't like, and b) the worthy goal of replying nicely to someone
who went to the trouble to gave advice in reply to one's request.

If there is no way meet a and b at the same time, one should settle
for b, and just say "Thank you".

Instead you gave short shrift to b, and you seem to add c, a
gratuitous insult: "That is one of those snappy sayings that I never
believed. If anyone believes that statement, then I have a $200
Thousand Ford Escort to sell you." You say you don't believe him,
and that anyone who does is a fool, and that clearly means that the
person who gave the advice is a fool or a liar or stupid or mentally
ill. The least bad of these is that he's a fool.

I can understand not wanting to retract or anything, but I can't
understand complaining about his mild reply:

"No problem; buy the "Acme Deluxe Toilet" and plunge it three times a
week.

Sorry I wasted my time trying to help...."

He feels he wasted his time, and he's keeping the record straight,
sort of like you kept the record straight that you thought his idea
wouldn't work. But he doesn't insult you.

Harry F hasn't posted much afaik and I don't know why he writes what
he does.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:46:50 -0500, Luke Howett Fitzhugh
wrote:

I'm in luck! Consumer Reports has a review of toilets online from Aug.
2005. They talk about some of the things I was interested in. Should
have gone there, first. With the comments from this newsgroup, and the
analyses on CR, I'm confident that I'll have a reliable throne
installed by Monday.

Anyway, it looks like the Eljer Titan is going to deserve some
investigation. It's not easy to test a toilet in the showroom!

Luke

I saw that article in consumer reports last year. The Eljer was rated
much higher than the Toto. A higher price never guarantees a better
product. We're buying an Eljer this summer. -Chris
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Luke Howett Fitzhugh" wrote...

No other source of information that I could find has tested as many
toilets as CR did. No other source did as detailed a test. CR tested
Crane, Eljer, Kohler, Gerber, American Standard, Toto, Mansfield,
Niagara, Jacuzzi, Briggs and Sterling. That's a bigger sample set than
is available locally. I'm satisfied with that.

Unfortunately, testing a single model in a large brand is totally
inadequate. There are too many differences within the brands.

The CWWA site cited earlier has a substantially larger database, and should
make a better basis for shopping. Once you weed out the low performers,
shop elsewhere to find info on specific models. I found the mfgrs' web
sites to be informative as well, and the plumber's and customers'
perspectives at www.terrylove.com invaluable.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote:

Anyway, it looks like the Eljer Titan is going to deserve some
investigation. It's not easy to test a toilet in the showroom!

I saw that article in consumer reports last year. The Eljer was rated
much higher than the Toto. A higher price never guarantees a better
product. We're buying an Eljer this summer. -Chris

From Terry Love's site:

Eljer Titan:

Good flushing toilet.
Could use a little better bowl wash, but better than some others.
Noise level consistent with other 3" flush valve toilets.

Toto Drake:

An industry standard for performance with what some consider the
best flush performance. Has perhaps the most thorough flush, leaving
nothing in the bowl.
Fairly compact at 28" in length for the elongated version and
26-1/2" for the regular bowl.
Easy to assembly with common tools. If you have pliers and a flat
blade screwdriver, you're in business.

I have to second the "compact" and "easy to assembl[e]" comments. One of my
bathrooms is small, and I wasn't sure if an elongated bowl would fit. Turns
out that the Drake was less than an inch longer from the wall overall than
my old round-bowl toilet. The tank is more compact, and it fits in the
standard roughout.