Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need help choosing a toilet

I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/13/08 03:41 pm toecheese wrote:

I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?

AFAIK, 1.6 gall per flush is the max. available now, and I think I've
seen some that are 1.4 gall per flush.

I think there are also dual-flush models that will use less than 1.6 (or
1.4) galls for liquid-only flushing.

Our American Standard "Champion" toilets (1.6 gall) are fine and have
never had to be flushed more than once. There may be cheaper ones that
work as well.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I have excellent experiences with Toto "Drake" toilets. Keep in mind that
most models of toilets are available in round or elongated versions. If a
male is going to be using it, they will appreciate the elongated versions as
round ones are usually so short that parts of the male anatomy will come in
contact with the interior porcelain surface, which is both uncomfortable and
unsanitary.

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 04/13/08 03:41 pm toecheese wrote:

I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up with
one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush or
anything else like that I should be looking for?

AFAIK, 1.6 gall per flush is the max. available now, and I think I've seen
some that are 1.4 gall per flush.

I think there are also dual-flush models that will use less than 1.6 (or
1.4) galls for liquid-only flushing.

Our American Standard "Champion" toilets (1.6 gall) are fine and have
never had to be flushed more than once. There may be cheaper ones that
work as well.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 5:44�pm, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

Perce- Hide quoted text -

avoid the power flush models at all costs unless you live alone.

they sound like a jet engine on takeoff.......

we replaced our water waster years ago and i regret that a lot.

lets just say that my output can be large diameter and hard at times,
whicjh clogs toilet......

the old water piggie had no trouble in all those years.

one day i will go to canada and bring back a regular water waster,
they are still sold in canada, and can be bought on e bay
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:41:27 -0700, toecheese wrote:

I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?

Most flush with the same amount of water, some use less water at the
expense of noisy flushing. Pick one sized by the distance from the
center of the hole to the wall. Also, there are "male" toilets with
more oblong bowls than round.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:41*pm, toecheese wrote:
I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. *I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. *Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?

Get one with a large Glazed Smooth Trap, Ive just used last year, 12,
60$ HD Glacier bay units with no issues, I can say how long the valves
will last, but they work and are cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:41:27 -0700, toecheese wrote:

I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?

Most flush with the same amount of water, some use less water at the
expense of noisy flushing. Pick one sized by the distance from the
center of the hole to the wall. Also, there are "male" toilets with
more oblong bowls than round.

The best solution is to install a urinal. Since it's in my bathroom,
and not hers, my wife doesn't care.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

"toecheese" wrote in message
I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up with
one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush or
anything else like that I should be looking for?

We have three Kohlers at work and they have been fine. No backups at all.
Get the elongated model for comfort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have three Kohlers at work and they have been fine. No backups at all.
Get the elongated model for comfort.

Yep, Kohler Wellworth "comfort height" elongated nowl. We had 3 in our last
house..they worked so well, we put 3 more in the "new" place. I dont even
'own' a plunger

Posted to alt.home.repair

"toecheese" wrote in message
I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up with
one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush or
anything else like that I should be looking for?

Haven't had any problems with Kohler Wellworth and the Toto is just awesome.
Some of the no name, cheap ones are pretty good too. Standard is 1.6 gal,
don't know about the ultra low flush around 1 gal.

In any case, my preference is Toto.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 12:41*pm, toecheese wrote:
I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. *I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. *Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?

Google this group for "Toto" and/or "Toto Drake". Enjoy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Many areas have rebates available for switching to a low flow toilet. Check
with your municipality or water company. If a rebate is available you might
as well pick from one of the approved models, if there is a specific list,
or ensure you pick one that meets the listed specifications.

"mike" wrote in message
On Apr 13, 12:41 pm, toecheese wrote:
I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?

Google this group for "Toto" and/or "Toto Drake". Enjoy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 17:44:45 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

round ones are usually so short that parts of the male anatomy will come
in
contact with the interior porcelain surface, which is both uncomfortable
and
unsanitary.

How do you know this? LOL....

From experience! Some designs could have only been created by a woman, and
never tested in the real world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:
Many areas have rebates available for switching to a low flow toilet. Check
with your municipality or water company. If a rebate is available you might
as well pick from one of the approved models, if there is a specific list,
or ensure you pick one that meets the listed specifications.

Check carefully. In order to qualify for the rebate you may need to
pull a building permit, which will cost money and possibly require more
upgrades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 6:21*pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
* * If you are in the US the only thing you will find are water savers..
Don't go for the cheapest one there or for the fancy looks. *Look for a
fully glazed trap (that means the passage is slick like glass rather than
like heavy duty sandpaper in the cheap models. *Also look for the larger
trap size, it is far less likely to clog. *Once you have it, train the
family to hold the handle down for the heavier loads, that will increase the
water used for just that flush.

--
Joseph Meehan

*Dia 's Muire duit

The HD Glacier bay may be the cheapest , but it works, with its
superduper large, micron superduper glazed, real slick, slippery
lubbed "Super Trap" tm, its been tested by my mexicans drinking alot
of Tequila, eating bean burritos, Habanerros , and beans for a year x
12 units without a clog, second flush, or even a complaint. [ Bet
they didnt want the embarsasment] Yea, Chinas cheaper China is
cheap, but they said. " any load goes and flows, even 2 elephant`s
asses worth" they said that, and I believed them, Gee thats a room
full ! For only 59.95 Without Rebate on an old unit, I was sold !.
In China they call them "**** Suckers" since there are few toilets in
China , even the olympics were to be a hole to sqaut into. , its
called taking a Dump there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 9:50�pm, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:10:47 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Apr 13, 5:44?pm, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

At least the power flush models flush. �I'd rather hear the noise than
use a plunger every time I take a ****.- Hide quoted text -

say that if you have a big family or a small child and do you want to
wake people up all nite long, with a jet engine starting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:41 pm, toecheese wrote:
I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?

I also vote for the Kohler Wellworth. I got a round seat, and it's
comfortable too. I use mine on a first floor, but the brand is a good
one, and it flushes great. The other one I got is also a Kohler
Wellworth, and got semi-plugged up once. I used a plunger on it and it
was fixed. It did NOT overflow either, like my old one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Apr 13, 5:44?pm, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

wake people up all nite long, with a jet engine starting?- Hide quoted text -

-

A Power Flush? a compressed tank is noise when rele
, I have one, everyone knows when a crap has been acomplished within 5
miles.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 13, 2:41*pm, toecheese wrote:
I need to replace the toilet in an upstairs, second story bathroom. *I'd
like to get a low-flow tank to save water but I don't want to end up
with one that won't have enough water pressure to properly flush without
clogging all the time. *Is there any kind of minimum gallons per flush
or anything else like that I should be looking for?

Summarizing all these posts there seems to be consensus for the
elongated upscale Kohler and Toto. I can vouch for Kohler and I have a
pro architect friend who won't specify nought but Toto in his jobs.
Seems to me either of those is a good choice. Personally, I planning
my next bath project around the American brand, Kohler. HTH

Joe

Choosing A Realtor [email protected] Woodworking 4 January 3rd 08 08:44 PM
Choosing a new lav Clive UK diy 7 March 29th 07 08:59 PM
Choosing a Toilet Luke Howett Fitzhugh Home Repair 66 March 19th 07 12:55 PM
Choosing a Toilet Luke Howett Fitzhugh Home Ownership 65 March 19th 07 12:55 PM
Need Help choosing one of the Saws... Please..... ScRaPLeR Woodworking 10 February 16th 05 02:08 PM