Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing Question

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
We're having a drought here in central Texas, and I've finally
gotten around to having a new roof put on my single-family
house. Problem is, it started raining. And raining, and raining,
and raining. (I may be single-handedly responsible for ending
the drought! Remember when it used to be washing and waxing your
car would bring the rain?)

The first day it rained the roofers continued working. What
concerns me is that this means they were putting shingles over
wet shingles. (They're putting the new shingles over the old
ones.) It seems to me that this is a bad idea. Would it be?
Would it cause mold or mildew? Or are the shingles mold and
mildew resistant?

The shingles are the standard, common house shingles, sort of
like these:

I'd be much more concerned that they're double-layering the singles. Why
didn't you have them remove the old roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

We're having a drought here in central Texas, and I've finally
gotten around to having a new roof put on my single-family
house. Problem is, it started raining. And raining, and raining,
and raining. (I may be single-handedly responsible for ending
the drought! Remember when it used to be washing and waxing your
car would bring the rain?)

The first day it rained the roofers continued working. What
concerns me is that this means they were putting shingles over
wet shingles. (They're putting the new shingles over the old
ones.) It seems to me that this is a bad idea. Would it be?
Would it cause mold or mildew? Or are the shingles mold and
mildew resistant?

The shingles are the standard, common house shingles, sort of
like these:

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...ay?langId=-1&s
toreId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId= 3367230&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-
_-gps-_-gps-_-CertainTeed%203-Tab%20Weathered%20Wood%20Fiberglass%20Aspha
lt%20Roofing%20Shingles&CAWELAID=1024124139

or

http://low.es/t6XW4J

Thanks for your input and advice.

8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email)
~~~~~~~~~

http://suzie-q-wacvet.com/
http://intergnat.com/malebashing/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2011 6:24 PM, Suzie-Q wrote:
[...]

Nothing to worry about. It'll all dry when the sun comes out. It's also
common practice to install new shingles over old ones. Thirty years from
now, when you need another new roof, have them strip it down to the
sheeting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 8:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Suzie-Q wrote:

The first day it rained the roofers continued working. What
concerns me is that this means they were putting shingles over
wet shingles. (They're putting the new shingles over the old
ones.) It seems to me that this is a bad idea. Would it be?
Would it cause mold or mildew? Or are the shingles mold and
mildew resistant?

If you take the time to remove the old shingles, it reveals any deeper
issues in the roof which may need repairing. *If you are doing just a slam
bam reshingling and don't care, then that's the way you do it. *Or maybe the
contractor is not good enough to actually "repair" a roof. *There is no
brainpower required to just nail on new shingles, and a monkey can be
trained to do it in less time than it takes to train some humans.

I would never ever consider refoofing without removing the old first. *Yes,
there are arguments either way, but if I'm going to spend all that money,
I'd like to know if there are any other things to do with the roof that need
fixing. *How is anyone able to see that without removing the current
shingles?

Or, you could just fix it later .............

Steve

Agree with HomeGuy and Steve. For the additional cost, IMO it's worth
it
to take off the existing shingles for the reasons they've given.
Expecially if
there is any reason to suspect problems with the exising roof
sheathing, etc.
But if the existing roof is OK I would not lose sleep over putting a
second
layer on. It's done all the time.

As for the rain, it doesn't matter. The water will quickly find it's
way out
and not be a problem,
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 18:50:20 -0500, willshak
wrote:

h wrote the following:
"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
[...]

Cost? It is not necessary to remove old shingles to put another layer
on. I seem to remember that you can add up to 3 layers before you have
to remove the old.

Depends where you are, and what the design and snow loads are.

And who you are. I would never have a roof reroofed without stripping off
the old shingles. That way, one can see any damage or leaks that the
shingles are hiding. Am I wrong?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 19:22:04 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

Depends where you are, and what the design and snow loads are.

And who you are. I would never have a roof reroofed without stripping off
the old shingles. That way, one can see any damage or leaks that the
shingles are hiding. Am I wrong?

Steve

If the house is prone to problems, has leaks, is over 50 years old,
experienced any damage already, a tear-off is the right way. My house
was still in good shape at 20 years and I had the roof done over top
of the existing shingles. That was 13 years ago and is till looking
good with no leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 19:22:04 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

Depends where you are, and what the design and snow loads are.

And who you are. I would never have a roof reroofed without stripping off
the old shingles. That way, one can see any damage or leaks that the
shingles are hiding. Am I wrong?

Steve

If the house is prone to problems, has leaks, is over 50 years old,
experienced any damage already, a tear-off is the right way. My house
was still in good shape at 20 years and I had the roof done over top
of the existing shingles. That was 13 years ago and is till looking
good with no leaks.

I am NOT speaking from experience. The two houses I built, I used 30 year
shingles, and sold them before that. The cabin had a shingle roof that was
taken off, then metal roofing applied. The other five houses I have owned
all had tile roofs. But in helping people through the years, seeing shingle
over shingle was usually a cluster polka for repairs, if you know what I
mean.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:23:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Suzie-Q wrote:

[...]

Having had my own roof replaced earlier this year while watching many
around having the same thing done, I think I know about roofs now (at
least shingle roofs in my area). Most replies in this thread are
correct. Personally I would prefer to not roof over an existing roof
for reasons already mentioned including perhaps underlying rotten
plywood. But to answer your question, roofers tell me that you don't
have to worry about the rain. I already asked that question myself
earlier this year because I had the same concern before my own roof
was replaced. And where I'm located they say rule of thumb is 2
layers of roofing is acceptable but structurally it depends on loads,
wood sizes, spacing, slopes, etc... .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 10:22*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
And who you are. *I would never have a roof reroofed without stripping off
the old shingles. *That way, one can see any damage or leaks that the
shingles are hiding. *Am I wrong?

Since the new shingles are supposed to seal up any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Then, if the roofers can install the new shingles without falling
through, whatever damage is underneath can't be all that critical. It
can wait for the next tear-off.

Tear-offs virtually double the cost of a roofing job. Sure you can
borrow the money to pay for it but you've still got to pay it back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to seal up
any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. There isn't much
for the new ones to stick to that's solid. And if there's a hole or a
missing shingle, what does it stick to?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:48:49 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to seal up
any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. There isn't much
for the new ones to stick to that's solid. And if there's a hole or a
missing shingle, what does it stick to?

Steve

Basically agree with what you said except here. You're right about
the sloughing but wrong about new sealing to old. New are nailed down
and are suppose to lay on top. Problem is that the old may not be too
flat so the new will not be flat neither. I can't remember now but I
think they use felt paper (tar paper) between old and new shingles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Since the new shingles are supposed to seal up any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Then, if the roofers can install the new shingles without falling
through, whatever damage is underneath can't be all that critical. It
can wait for the next tear-off.

Tear-offs virtually double the cost of a roofing job. Sure you can
borrow the money to pay for it but you've still got to pay it back.

What a crock! Do you think rotten or wet wood stops rotting because it has
new material over it? Premature failure of roof decks are caused by your
type of thinking. Do you think removing two layers is cheaper than removing
one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote the following:
wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to seal up
any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. There isn't much
for the new ones to stick to that's solid.

Roofing nails hold shingles down to the sheathing below the old
shingles. It's why roofing nails come in various lengths. Each new row
of shingles stick to the new shingles previously installed on the row
beneath.

And if there's a hole or a
missing shingle, what does it stick to?

You put a new shingle, or part of a shingle, to fill the gap left from
the missing shingle.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:52:24 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:48:49 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to seal up
any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. There isn't much
for the new ones to stick to that's solid. And if there's a hole or a
missing shingle, what does it stick to?

Steve

Basically agree with what you said except here. You're right about
the sloughing but wrong about new sealing to old. New are nailed down
and are suppose to lay on top. Problem is that the old may not be too
flat so the new will not be flat neither. I can't remember now but I
think they use felt paper (tar paper) between old and new shingles.

Never seen tar paper between shingle layers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

wrote:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:48:49 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to seal up
any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. *There isn't much
for the new ones to stick to that's solid. *And if there's a hole or a
missing shingle, what does it stick to?

Steve

Basically agree with what you said except here. * You're right about
the sloughing but wrong about new sealing to old. *New are nailed down
and are suppose to lay on top. *Problem is that the old may not be too
flat so the new will not be flat neither. *I can't remember now but I
think they use felt paper (tar paper) between old and new shingles.

Never seen tar paper between shingle layers.- Hide quoted text -

I was just watching a DIY show on TV abour three roommates in San
Diego who were adding an addition to their house. When they looked at
the existing roofs, there were EIGHT layers of shingles. Now I'm
pretty sure that goes against any code out there. I think that's just
plain lazy roofers. Here in Colorado, the local code enforcers won't
allow more than two layers. If it makes three layers, then it has to
be a tearoff. Of course that's if the roofer/homeowner actually pulls
a permit for the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:48:49 -0800, "Steve wrote:

[...]

Don't give a damn about code- a tearoff and deck inspection is the
CORRECT way to do it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:48:49 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to seal
up
any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. There isn't much
for the new ones to stick to that's solid. And if there's a hole or a
missing shingle, what does it stick to?

Steve

Basically agree with what you said except here. You're right about
the sloughing but wrong about new sealing to old. New are nailed down
and are suppose to lay on top. Problem is that the old may not be too
flat so the new will not be flat neither. I can't remember now but I
think they use felt paper (tar paper) between old and new shingles.

I've seen roofs that were done over previous shingles, and one could pick
out every spot where there was a divot from a space where there was no
underlaying shingle. Every defect in the roof was obvious.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
Steve B wrote the following:
wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to seal
up any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. There isn't much
for the new ones to stick to that's solid.

Roofing nails hold shingles down to the sheathing below the old shingles.
It's why roofing nails come in various lengths. Each new row of shingles
stick to the new shingles previously installed on the row beneath.

Sounds more like an invention from a lazy roofer than a reasonable man.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

reply: Me wonders how much weight eight layers of shingles was putting on
that roof.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Glad to see we have a reasonable man here who recognizes we are dealing with
two issues. One is shingles. The other is everything under that, which can
be hidden, and may need to be addressed before adding another layer of
band-aids.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2011 4:56 PM, willshak wrote:
Steve B wrote the following:
wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to
seal up any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. There isn't
much for the new ones to stick to that's solid.

Roofing nails hold shingles down to the sheathing below the old
shingles. It's why roofing nails come in various lengths. Each new row
of shingles stick to the new shingles previously installed on the row
beneath.

Unless the deck is rotted, so that there is nothing solid to grip the
nails.

And if there's a hole or a
missing shingle, what does it stick to?

You put a new shingle, or part of a shingle, to fill the gap left from
the missing shingle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Eight layers is really, really hard to believe! ) Wonder how hot it
gets in the sun?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:12:12 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 19:22:04 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

Depends where you are, and what the design and snow loads are.

And who you are. I would never have a roof reroofed without stripping off
the old shingles. That way, one can see any damage or leaks that the
shingles are hiding. Am I wrong?

Steve

If the house is prone to problems, has leaks, is over 50 years old,

Or if the old shingles are curling. (maybe you count that as damage,
but maybe not)

experienced any damage already, a tear-off is the right way. My house
was still in good shape at 20 years and I had the roof done over top
of the existing shingles. That was 13 years ago and is till looking
good with no leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:40:20 -0800 (PST), rlz wrote:

I was just watching a DIY show on TV abour three roommates in San
Diego who were adding an addition to their house. When they looked at
the existing roofs, there were EIGHT layers of shingles.

Now that may be bad, terrible, but if they didn't notice it until they
were going to build the addition, it seems to me the house was able to
handle 4 layers easily.

Of course it doesn't snow in San Diego, but there are a lot of places
where it doesn't snow.

Now I'm
pretty sure that goes against any code out there. I think that's just
plain lazy roofers. Here in Colorado, the local code enforcers won't
allow more than two layers. If it makes three layers, then it has to
be a tearoff. Of course that's if the roofer/homeowner actually pulls
a permit for the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Less hot, right? The top layer gets the same amount of heat, and the
other layers aren't great insulation for the attic, but still some.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

reply: Me wonders how much weight eight layers of shingles was
putting on that roof.

Aw, eight layers doesn't weigh all THAT much if you use the Econo-Blaster
brand shingles with their manufacturer's 2-year limited warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One issue in roofing is adequate attic ventillation .. too hot shortens
life of shingles. So 8 layers in hot sun would seem to hold more heat
longer...to the point of spontaneous combustion? Just wondering, but I
know too hot a roof damages shingles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:53:57 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yeah Steve, I've seen something like that myself. I don't like new
roofs done on old shingle but as others said, it's done to save money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote

Yeah Steve, I've seen something like that myself. I don't like new
roofs done on old shingle but as others said, it's done to save money.

Ya pays ya money, and ya takes ya chances.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 6:50*pm, willshak wrote:
h wrote the following:

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
[...]

Not if you live where it snows. We get FEET of snow on the roof for
months. The weight of a second layer of shingles would be ill-advised.
Also against code, at least around here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 06:29:43 -0500, micky
wrote:

If the house is prone to problems, has leaks, is over 50 years old,

Or if the old shingles are curling. (maybe you count that as damage,
but maybe not)

Yes, it is damage and can affect the new roof.

To clarify, there is nothing wrong with removing the first layer, but
in some cases, it is not needed if in general good condition. In my
case, I probably could have waited another year, maybe two, before
re-roofing. But then I may incur damage or leaks and additional cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 11:59:58 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

I'll let you in on one secret.... I bought the roofing crew lunch one
day and I believe it saved me more than the cost of the lunch in terms
of cleanup and quality of install. Of course years from now, I'll
know better.

Goes for anyone working on my house. A pitcher of iced tea or
six-pack of cold Pepsi is always a good investment.

When the town was cutting some tree on our street, my wife took coffee
out to them. They thanked her. I came home from work and found a
cord of wood in my yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'll let you in on one secret.... I bought the roofing crew lunch one
day and I believe it saved me more than the cost of the lunch in terms
of cleanup and quality of install. Of course years from now, I'll
know better.

On our last few moves, I made sure there were sandwiches or pizza and
soda/water available to the crew. Cheap bribe!

Goes for anyone working on my house. A pitcher of iced tea or
six-pack of cold Pepsi is always a good investment.

A friend was having a house built and the general commented that he couldn't
figure out why all the trades were busy on his house (the plumber couldn't fit
in the driveway, so left). He told the GC, to come back at 4:00. He did and
just about fell over when his wife showed up with a cooler full of beer. ;-)
Again, cheap bribe.

When the town was cutting some tree on our street, my wife took coffee
out to them. They thanked her. I came home from work and found a
cord of wood in my yard.

;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Isn't it amazing what happens when you're nice to people? ^_^

Here's a similar idea: If you borrow a neighbor's tool, always return it in
better shape than when you got it. If a lawnmower, hose it down and clean it
up, if a hedge-trimmer, return it with a sharpened blade, and so on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm assuming they kept all the ventilation even though they put on
more layers. They should be able to do that.

life of shingles. So 8 layers in hot sun would seem to hold more heat
longer...to the point of spontaneous combustion? Just wondering, but I
know too hot a roof damages shingles.

Yes, they would hold more heat, but in the same way that a gallon of
120 degree water holds more heat than a quart of 120 degree water.

It would take longer** in the morning for the heat to go from the top
shingle to the plywood roof and then into the attic, and it would take
longer in the evening for everything to cool off, so I think that all
would break even. And I don't think the temperature of any part of
the roof would be higher than with only one layer of shingles.

**I have no idea how much longer, maybe only a little.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2011 7:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Isn't it amazing what happens when you're nice to people? ^_^

Here's a similar idea: If you borrow a neighbor's tool, always return it in
better shape than when you got it. If a lawnmower, hose it down and clean it
up, if a hedge-trimmer, return it with a sharpened blade, and so on.

A fellow let me borrow his truck, I returned it with a tuneup and oil
change. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Isn't it amazing what happens when you're nice to people? ^_^

Here's a similar idea: If you borrow a neighbor's tool, always return it in
better shape than when you got it. If a lawnmower, hose it down and clean it
up, if a hedge-trimmer, return it with a sharpened blade, and so on.

A fellow let me borrow his truck, I returned it with a tuneup and oil
change. ^_^

Full tank of gas.

GAF roofing question AE Todd Home Repair 6 September 25th 10 05:32 AM
Roofing Question Wayne Whitney Home Repair 10 April 28th 08 11:03 PM
Roofing Question Dottie Home Repair 4 July 28th 07 02:25 PM
Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 11:45 PM
Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 11:44 PM