Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing Question

One of my neighbors is having a new roof put on her house. The
roofers put the tar paper on the back portion of her roof and then
quit for the weekend. We are in Tampa Bay and it rains almost every
day, at least a little. She is upset because they didn't cover the
tar paper with plastic or something because she says, you are supposed
to let tar paper dry 24 hours before putting the shingles on if it
gets wet. I had never heard that before. The same people did my
roof. The same day they finished putting on the tar paper, it rained
really hard. Nothing leaked. They came back the next day and put the
shingles on over it. It passed inspection and it has been almost
exactly one month. No leaks. Lots of heavy rain - in short space of
time - but no leaks.

It's hot here and it doesn't take long for something to dry ...
certainly not 24 hours. Just wondering if there is really anything to
worry about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...
One of my neighbors is having a new roof put on her house. The
roofers put the tar paper on the back portion of her roof and then
quit for the weekend.

It's hot here and it doesn't take long for something to dry ...
certainly not 24 hours. Just wondering if there is really anything to
worry about.

Nothing to worry about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 2:24 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

One of my neighbors is having a new roof put on her house. The
roofers put the tar paper on the back portion of her roof and then
quit for the weekend.

It's hot here and it doesn't take long for something to dry ...
certainly not 24 hours. Just wondering if there is really anything to
worry about.

Nothing to worry about.

I would have been concerned IF they'd hadn't put down the felt.

But with felt in place the roof is pretty waterproof.

Hopefully they used 30 lb.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 8:49 pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Jul 27, 2:24 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message

oups.com...

One of my neighbors is having a new roof put on her house. The
roofers put the tar paper on the back portion of her roof and then
quit for the weekend.

It's hot here and it doesn't take long for something to dry ...
certainly not 24 hours. Just wondering if there is really anything to
worry about.

Nothing to worry about.

I would have been concerned IF they'd hadn't put down the felt.

But with felt in place the roof is pretty waterproof.

Hopefully they used 30 lb.

cheers
Bob

Sorry. I worded my question badly. " Is it necessary for the felt to
dry for 24 hours after it gets rained on - before putting the
shingles over it? "

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 7:53 am, Dottie wrote:
On Jul 27, 8:49 pm, BobK207 wrote:

On Jul 27, 2:24 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Dottie" wrote in message

oups.com...

One of my neighbors is having a new roof put on her house. The
roofers put the tar paper on the back portion of her roof and then
quit for the weekend.

It's hot here and it doesn't take long for something to dry ...
certainly not 24 hours. Just wondering if there is really anything to
worry about.

Nothing to worry about.

I would have been concerned IF they'd hadn't put down the felt.

But with felt in place the roof is pretty waterproof.

Hopefully they used 30 lb.

cheers
Bob

Sorry. I worded my question badly. " Is it necessary for the felt to
dry for 24 hours after it gets rained on - before putting the
shingles over it? "

I don't like putting shingles on wet tarpaper because it wrinkles and
the shingles won't lay flat. But it won't leak because the felt is
wet. So I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Roofing Question Clueless Mary Home Repair 72 July 9th 07 04:32 PM
Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 11:44 PM
Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 11:44 PM
Roofing question Ron Truitt Home Repair 1 October 5th 05 05:28 PM
roofing question Sligo Home Repair 2 January 26th 05 11:50 PM