Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Roofing Question

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 19:22:04 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

Depends where you are, and what the design and snow loads are.

And who you are. I would never have a roof reroofed without stripping off
the old shingles. That way, one can see any damage or leaks that the
shingles are hiding. Am I wrong?

Steve

If the house is prone to problems, has leaks, is over 50 years old,
experienced any damage already, a tear-off is the right way. My house
was still in good shape at 20 years and I had the roof done over top
of the existing shingles. That was 13 years ago and is till looking
good with no leaks.

I am NOT speaking from experience. The two houses I built, I used 30 year
shingles, and sold them before that. The cabin had a shingle roof that was
taken off, then metal roofing applied. The other five houses I have owned
all had tile roofs. But in helping people through the years, seeing shingle
over shingle was usually a cluster polka for repairs, if you know what I
mean.

Steve