Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GAF roofing question

I just had a new roof put on with GAF asphalt shingles. For the ridge
caps, the roofers used a high profile shingle that is folded under at
one edge, giving it a thicker appearance. I was told that this give
the appearance more like wood shingles, and this was a more high end
treatment. All the rest of the homes in my neighbhorhood that have
new roofs have ridgecaps that lay very flush to the surface, and this
looks tighter and more refined to me. Can anyone comment on these two
types of treatments? I was thinking that the product on my roof,
because it is thcker, will warp or turn up on an edge more easily. I
have never seen this type of product before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"AE Todd" wrote in message
I just had a new roof put on with GAF asphalt shingles. For the ridge
caps, the roofers used a high profile shingle that is folded under at
one edge, giving it a thicker appearance. I was told that this give
the appearance more like wood shingles, and this was a more high end
treatment. All the rest of the homes in my neighbhorhood that have
new roofs have ridgecaps that lay very flush to the surface, and this
looks tighter and more refined to me. Can anyone comment on these two
types of treatments? I was thinking that the product on my roof,
because it is thcker, will warp or turn up on an edge more easily. I
have never seen this type of product before.

Don't want to sound like I'm flaming you. However, did you not ask to see
some of the contractors projects with this type of hip & ridge? If you
liked your neighbors so well, why didn't you ask what brand & they put on?
If you've never seen this type product, why in the world would you sign a
contract to have it installed on _your_ home?

http://products.construction.com/man...idge-nst4891-p

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think that the contract covered the exact ridge cap product.
And even if it had, it would be hard to know what the product looked
like just from the item number or description. I have never had a
roof put on before. I didn't know the questions to ask. Who knew
that what went on my roof was at the end of the bell curve, not in the
middle like every other roof in my neighborhood.

So, if anyone can read my OP and has an answer instead of a flame,
please post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"AE Todd" wrote in message
I don't think that the contract covered the exact ridge cap product.
And even if it had, it would be hard to know what the product looked
like just from the item number or description. I have never had a
roof put on before. I didn't know the questions to ask. Who knew
that what went on my roof was at the end of the bell curve, not in the
middle like every other roof in my neighborhood.

So, if anyone can read my OP and has an answer instead of a flame,
please post.

You didn't know what questions to ask. Now you ask questions after the
fact, and expect not to get flamed.

Screw you, you don't have any say who can reply to your post.

Ask your contractor instead of asking people Worldwide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 8:17*pm, AE Todd wrote:
I just had a new roof put on with GAF asphalt shingles. *For the ridge
caps, the roofers used a high profile shingle that is folded under at
one edge, giving it a thicker appearance. *I was told that this give
the appearance more like wood shingles, and this was a more high end
treatment. *All the rest of the homes in my neighbhorhood that have
new roofs have ridgecaps that lay very flush to the surface, and this
looks tighter and more refined to me. *Can anyone comment on these two
types of treatments? *I was thinking that the product on my roof,
because it is thcker, will warp or turn up on an edge more easily. *I
have never seen this type of product before.

Are you sure you don't have a ridge vent????

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, Flaming Katol, it seems like you are a full time flamer. Go
join your friends who picket military funerals. I have a roof to tend
to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a picture of it. The lower edge of each shingle is folded
under to give it a thicker appearance.

http://yfrog.com/elimage0062j

Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 11:44 PM
Roofing Question Lawrence Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 11:42 PM
roofing question Andy Burns UK diy 13 August 23rd 06 04:42 AM
Roofing question [email protected] Home Ownership 3 April 27th 06 06:01 PM
Roofing Question John Willis Home Repair 5 February 19th 04 02:30 AM