Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Roofing question

A friend of mine in South Florida is having her roof replaced. The
roofing company started work over 45 days ago. They put the tar paper
(she and I don't know the actual name of that stuff) and nails on the
roof, but they haven't put the tiles on yet. She's worried that she'll
have problems because the roof has been sitting in the sun for that
length of time without any tiles.

Does anyone know if there is any limit to how long the paper can sit
there uncovered before the elements (mainly strong sun) does damage?

BTW, it's very difficult to get roof repairs (or many other types of
repairs) done in S. Florida since Hurricane Wilma. It's still the land
of blue tarps.

I tried a google search, but I couldn't find anything.

thanks in advance for any information.

ttfn,
jan
Posted to misc.consumers.house
JerryL

wrote in message
A friend of mine in South Florida is having her roof replaced. The
roofing company started work over 45 days ago. They put the tar paper
(she and I don't know the actual name of that stuff) and nails on the
roof, but they haven't put the tiles on yet. She's worried that she'll
have problems because the roof has been sitting in the sun for that
length of time without any tiles.

Does anyone know if there is any limit to how long the paper can sit
there uncovered before the elements (mainly strong sun) does damage?

BTW, it's very difficult to get roof repairs (or many other types of
repairs) done in S. Florida since Hurricane Wilma. It's still the land
of blue tarps.

I tried a google search, but I couldn't find anything.

thanks in advance for any information.

ttfn,
jan

Generally a roofer will put the tar paper down then put the tiles piled up
on the roof for weeks on end. Generally there is no damage to the paper.
Half the barrel tiles on my roof were destroyed by Wilma. The roof was
exposed for 6 months before I could get it repaired and there was no damage
to the tar paper or any leaks. Your roofer is just busy with all the work
around so he got you set up with the tarpaper, which is really your roof and
he'll put the cosmetic tiles up after.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Tomes

Hi Jan,
The tar paper is black, and the black is due to the usage of carbon black.
Carbon black is a very effective UV absorber, and is used universally to
prevent/mitigate UV damage in many items that remain in the sun, such as
power and telecom cables. You ought not have aging problems with the
exposure of the tarpaper to the sun for this short of a time.
Tomes

wrote in message
A friend of mine in South Florida is having her roof replaced. The
roofing company started work over 45 days ago. They put the tar paper
(she and I don't know the actual name of that stuff) and nails on the
roof, but they haven't put the tiles on yet. She's worried that she'll
have problems because the roof has been sitting in the sun for that
length of time without any tiles.

Does anyone know if there is any limit to how long the paper can sit
there uncovered before the elements (mainly strong sun) does damage?

BTW, it's very difficult to get roof repairs (or many other types of
repairs) done in S. Florida since Hurricane Wilma. It's still the land
of blue tarps.

I tried a google search, but I couldn't find anything.

thanks in advance for any information.

ttfn,
jan

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Tomes wrote:
Hi Jan,
The tar paper is black, and the black is due to the usage of carbon black.
Carbon black is a very effective UV absorber, and is used universally to
prevent/mitigate UV damage in many items that remain in the sun, such as
power and telecom cables. You ought not have aging problems with the
exposure of the tarpaper to the sun for this short of a time.

Thanks to both of you. Actually, it's not my roof. I was lucky. I lost
some shingles and the facsia board where the screened in patio was
pulled off of the house, but I've had shingles and the boards replaced.

I called my friend and gave her your info.

thanks again,

ttfn,
jan

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Complete newbie roofing question Kevin Hawerchuk Home Repair 3 April 17th 06 01:47 PM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 03:37 PM