Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Roofing Question

On 12/6/2011 5:40 PM, rlz wrote:
On Dec 6, 3:22 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:52:24 -0600,
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:48:49 -0800, "Steve wrote:

wrote Since the new shingles are supposed to seal up
any existing leaks, who
cares if/where it is currently leaking?

Old shingles I have seen have the gravel sloughing off. There isn't much
for the new ones to stick to that's solid. And if there's a hole or a
missing shingle, what does it stick to?

Steve

Basically agree with what you said except here. You're right about
the sloughing but wrong about new sealing to old. New are nailed down
and are suppose to lay on top. Problem is that the old may not be too
flat so the new will not be flat neither. I can't remember now but I
think they use felt paper (tar paper) between old and new shingles.

Never seen tar paper between shingle layers.- Hide quoted text -

I was just watching a DIY show on TV abour three roommates in San
Diego who were adding an addition to their house. When they looked at
the existing roofs, there were EIGHT layers of shingles. Now I'm
pretty sure that goes against any code out there. I think that's just
plain lazy roofers. Here in Colorado, the local code enforcers won't
allow more than two layers. If it makes three layers, then it has to
be a tearoff. Of course that's if the roofer/homeowner actually pulls
a permit for the job.

Don't give a damn about code- a tearoff and deck inspection is the
CORRECT way to do it.

--
aem sends...