Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Safety tape for steps, not sticking

A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy
safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could
use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.

Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a
bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape
came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped,
flopping around, or missing.

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?
Torch down job?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 7:59*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy
safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could
use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.

Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a
bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape
came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped,
flopping around, or missing.

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?
Torch down job?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Is the problem that you want the tape to stay in place even when you
use the steps, or that it won't stick even if you don't use the
steps??? Indoors or outdoors?? Cmon, you know we need more
information?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2011 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy
safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could
use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.

Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a
bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape
came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped,
flopping around, or missing.

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?
Torch down job?

Stormin, I would scrape the loose, flaky junk away and give the grit
strip and the step a healthy shot of spray adhesive. Mask the step
where you don't want the sticky stuff. Tape on wood is not for the long
haul, but this should keep it stuck as long as it lasts. I would not
use staples.

I've seen several done with strips of expanded metal. Works great until
you need to shovel snow.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
Posted to alt.home.repair

First time I remember trying safety tape, so I'm not even
sure what questions to ask of myself. Lets see if I can do
better.

The problem is that I want the tape to stay in place.
Outdoors.
There is no awning, or weather protection.
Steps are on the north / shade side.
I go in and out several times a day, the steps get plenty
of use. No kids, so not "that" much use.
The steps are wood.
The steps have been here as long as I have been, about 15
years.
The top tread is the deck, which I think is pressure
treated.
I think I painted the steps about 10 years ago, but the
paint has long since come off.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

Is the problem that you want the tape to stay in place even
when you
use the steps, or that it won't stick even if you don't use
the
steps??? Indoors or outdoors?? Cmon, you know we need more
information?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/26/2011 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?
Torch down job?

I'd suggest the gritted paint instead. Of course, will need serious
prep work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have to check at the store, for spray adhesive. Might work
better than the peel of adhesive substitute that was on the
original product. Thanks for good idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DanG" wrote in message

Stormin, I would scrape the loose, flaky junk away and give
the grit
strip and the step a healthy shot of spray adhesive. Mask
the step
where you don't want the sticky stuff. Tape on wood is not
for the long
haul, but this should keep it stuck as long as it lasts. I
would not
use staples.

I've seen several done with strips of expanded metal. Works
great until
you need to shovel snow.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, gosh. Serious prep work. I'm scared!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message
On 11/26/2011 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface
prep?
Torch down job?

I'd suggest the gritted paint instead. Of course, will need
serious
prep work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?

Best sure-footing cover for weathered wood steps is
coconut matting held down by battens.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't say as I've heard of either of those. Must have
lived a sheltered life, you think?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface
prep?

Best sure-footing cover for weathered wood steps is
coconut matting held down by battens.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote

Best sure-footing cover for weathered wood steps is
coconut matting held down by battens.

--
Don Phillipson

Replacement with bar grating is good, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 1:59*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy
safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could
use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.

Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a
bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape
came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped,
flopping around, or missing.

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?
Torch down job?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

The best way to deal with slippery timer steps is to staple chicken
wire over them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy
safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could
use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.

Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a
bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape
came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped,
flopping around, or missing.

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?
Torch down job?

Something to consider: Shoot nails from the opposite side of step so
they protrude an inch or so on the side you step. Do this in inch
patterns. Would be a fantastic way to keep people from slipping on the
stairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy
safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could
use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.

Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a
bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape
came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped,
flopping around, or missing.

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?
Torch down job?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Follow these directions:
1) Scape off all the old tape and crap on the step.
2) Sand the step to clean wood.
3) Prime the wood with oil based primer.
4) Paint with 2 coats of outdoor poly Porch and Floor paint.
5) Apply the 3M safety tape you should have used years ago.
6) Continue skipping blithely down the steps even in bad weather in
perfect confidence.

There now, wasn't that easy?
You're welcome.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not that big a chore. Get the wood into paintable condition where you
want the grit, mask, paint, sprinkle grit (sand, ground walnut shells,
whatever), let dry, paint again, remove masking tape.

"dpb" wrote in message
On 11/26/2011 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface
prep?
Torch down job?

I'd suggest the gritted paint instead. Of course, will need
serious
prep work.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, gosh. Serious prep work. I'm scared!

Tape don't stick to wood, you mooyuk!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, gosh. Serious prep work. I'm scared!

Tape don't stick to wood, you mooyuk!

Steve

Tell him, not me.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, gosh. Serious prep work. I'm scared!

Tape don't stick to wood, you mooyuk!

Steve

Tell him, not me.

--

dadiOH

You a mooyuk too? Thought I had snipped properly. Apparently not.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

CLOSE OUT ! Buy a crap reject & you want quality ??

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/LighthouseLamp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, gosh. Serious prep work. I'm scared!

Tape don't stick to wood, you mooyuk!

Steve

Tell him, not me.

--

dadiOH

You a mooyuk too? Thought I had snipped properly. Apparently not.

Steve

It isn't a question of snipping, it is a question of replying to the correct
post.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, gosh. Serious prep work. I'm scared!

Tape don't stick to wood, you mooyuk!

Steve

Tell him, not me.

--

dadiOH

You a mooyuk too? Thought I had snipped properly. Apparently not.

Steve

It isn't a question of snipping, it is a question of replying to the
correct post.

--

dadiOH

Well, I for one am certainly happy that is cleared up.

Steve