Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Safety tape for steps, not sticking

On 11/26/2011 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy
safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could
use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.

Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a
bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape
came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped,
flopping around, or missing.

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered
wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep?
Torch down job?

Stormin, I would scrape the loose, flaky junk away and give the grit
strip and the step a healthy shot of spray adhesive. Mask the step
where you don't want the sticky stuff. Tape on wood is not for the long
haul, but this should keep it stuck as long as it lasts. I would not
use staples.

I've seen several done with strips of expanded metal. Works great until
you need to shovel snow.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G