Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 'stick-um' for a friction fit pulley?

I've got an old-ish [10yrs?] treadmill that I stuck in the outdoor
gazebo for my morning walk when it rains or whatever.

Lately it started slipping a bit every so often. So I pull it
apart & it looks like it is slipping where the drive pulley is pressed
onto the 1 1/4" or so shaft that the walking belt rides on.

Did it get cold enough for the metal shaft to shrink more than the
plastic pulley?

Do you think Loctite make a product that will make it grip, or is
there a better product out there.

I've got nothing to lose-- this thing is long past paid for. I'm
just trying to keep from tossing this one and picking up another.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 8:17*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I've got an old-ish [10yrs?] treadmill that I stuck in the outdoor
gazebo for my morning walk when it rains or whatever.

Lately it started slipping a bit every so often. * * So I pull it
apart & it looks like it is slipping where the drive pulley is pressed
onto the 1 1/4" or so shaft that the walking belt rides on.

Did it get cold enough for the metal shaft to shrink more than the
plastic pulley?

Do you think *Loctite make a product that will make it grip, or is
there a better product out there.

I've got nothing to lose-- this thing is long past paid for. * *I'm
just trying to keep from tossing this one and picking up another.

Jim

IIRC Loctite 680 is a gap filling product for slip fits.

Unfortunately some Loctites (242, 243 in particular) can degrade some
plastics to the point of failure.
I had this happen on some banana plug sockets using 243.

...........If you choose to use a Loctite product, make sure it won't
attack the pulley material.
Loctite makes a LOT of products, I sure they make one for your
application.
http://instantsolutions.loctite.com/...electguide.pdf

Based on a visit to

http://www.henkelna.com

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...UID=0000000I04

Looks like Loctite 638 is the correct product; recommend for use with
plastics & metals, high strength and decent gap filling (.010 max).
Use their primer to speed up cure or wait a few days.

I'd guess that other phenomena are at work....... thermal
coefficient of expansion for most plastics is greater than steel.

Does the pulley have enough meat to fit it with a set screw in the V?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 10:56*am, TimR wrote:

SNIP

Or a ringfeder?

Might work but we'd need more details about the shaft, pulley and rest
of the geometry to know for sure.

I'd give the Loctite a try first.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#loctite-638/=f3c27i

take a look at 635 also.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've got an old-ish [10yrs?] treadmill that I stuck in the outdoor
gazebo for my morning walk when it rains or whatever.

Lately it started slipping a bit every so often. So I pull it
apart & it looks like it is slipping where the drive pulley is pressed
onto the 1 1/4" or so shaft that the walking belt rides on.

Did it get cold enough for the metal shaft to shrink more than the
plastic pulley?

Do you think Loctite make a product that will make it grip, or is
there a better product out there.

I've got nothing to lose-- this thing is long past paid for. I'm
just trying to keep from tossing this one and picking up another.

Jim

I think I'd try removing the shaft pulley/assembly, then separating the
pulley from the shaft.

Then I'd roughen up & clean the area on the shaft where the pulley sits,
and clean the pulley bore; then apply a thin coat of JB weld to both the
shaft end and bore, replace the pulley back on the shaft clean up any
squeeze-out, and set aside to cure overnight.

If the pulley is really a tight fit, you might need to figure a way to
provide a dash of clearance for the JB Weld... your on your own there.

Good Luck!

Erik

PS, maybe 'spot' check a little JB Weld somewhere on the plastic pulley
first to be sure nothing funny happens... E
Posted to alt.home.repair

Erik wrote in news:spam-
:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

[...]

chances are,the JB-Weld (or any other glue) will not bond to the plastic
gear.

I had a portable 12v tire pump that had it's nylon gear slip on the drive
shaft,and I ended up making a metal disc to fit inside the gear,with 5
screws that engaged the 5 holes in the gear's web. the nylon gear had a
metal washer with a D-hole molded into the center of the gear,and that had
begun slipping,no way to fix that. So I Dremel-ground down the center part
until it was flat and would accept my metal disc that I had filed a D-hole
in to fit the flat on the drive shaft. it worked great.

You also might try drilling a cross hole in the shaft for a rollpin(shear
pin?),and pin the gear to the shaft.
Maybe your gear -had- a shear pin,it broke,and that's why the gear slips.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've got an old-ish [10yrs?] treadmill that I stuck in the outdoor
gazebo for my morning walk when it rains or whatever.

Lately it started slipping a bit every so often. So I pull it
apart & it looks like it is slipping where the drive pulley is pressed
onto the 1 1/4" or so shaft that the walking belt rides on.

Thanks all. You guys are no help.g I had a few thoughts in my
head when I posted-- and they were all covered in the responses. Great
minds, I guess.

Decided to go with easiest first. I warmed it up real good with a
heat lamp- and dribbled crazy glue around the circumference on both
sides.

So far that seems to be doing the trick. We'll know better when it
gets to 0F out there. Fingers crossed--

Thanks-
Jim

Friction welding Tom Del Rosso[_4_] Metalworking 15 August 15th 11 12:43 PM
friction hinges nospam[_2_] UK diy 3 September 18th 07 08:46 AM
Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 05:31 AM
Mylands Friction Polish mac davis Woodturning 5 June 14th 06 03:12 PM
Friction Polish Martin Rost Woodturning 9 March 13th 05 11:52 PM