Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default 'stick-um' for a friction fit pulley?

Erik wrote in news:spam-
:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've got an old-ish [10yrs?] treadmill that I stuck in the outdoor
gazebo for my morning walk when it rains or whatever.

Lately it started slipping a bit every so often. So I pull it
apart & it looks like it is slipping where the drive pulley is pressed
onto the 1 1/4" or so shaft that the walking belt rides on.

Did it get cold enough for the metal shaft to shrink more than the
plastic pulley?

Do you think Loctite make a product that will make it grip, or is
there a better product out there.

I've got nothing to lose-- this thing is long past paid for. I'm
just trying to keep from tossing this one and picking up another.

Jim

I think I'd try removing the shaft pulley/assembly, then separating the
pulley from the shaft.

Then I'd roughen up & clean the area on the shaft where the pulley sits,
and clean the pulley bore; then apply a thin coat of JB weld to both the
shaft end and bore, replace the pulley back on the shaft clean up any
squeeze-out, and set aside to cure overnight.

If the pulley is really a tight fit, you might need to figure a way to
provide a dash of clearance for the JB Weld... your on your own there.

Good Luck!

Erik

PS, maybe 'spot' check a little JB Weld somewhere on the plastic pulley
first to be sure nothing funny happens... E

chances are,the JB-Weld (or any other glue) will not bond to the plastic
gear.

I had a portable 12v tire pump that had it's nylon gear slip on the drive
shaft,and I ended up making a metal disc to fit inside the gear,with 5
screws that engaged the 5 holes in the gear's web. the nylon gear had a
metal washer with a D-hole molded into the center of the gear,and that had
begun slipping,no way to fix that. So I Dremel-ground down the center part
until it was flat and would accept my metal disc that I had filed a D-hole
in to fit the flat on the drive shaft. it worked great.

You also might try drilling a cross hole in the shaft for a rollpin(shear
pin?),and pin the gear to the shaft.
Maybe your gear -had- a shear pin,it broke,and that's why the gear slips.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik