Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Germans trying to kill-off pound

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...kill-off-pound

BRITAIN will soon be forced to scrap the pound and join the euro, one of
Germany’s most senior figures said yesterday.

In a chilling threat to UK sovereignty, German finance minister Wolfgang
Schauble predicted that all Europe would one day use the single
currency. “It will happen perhaps faster than some in the British Isles
currently believe,” he said. His sinister warning followed the
emergence of a secret German plan to build a powerful new economic
government for the eurozone and block an EU referendum in Britain.

A leaked German foreign ministry memo detailed plans for a new European
Monetary Fund. It also claimed the EU’s treaty could be altered to
centralise more power without triggering a vote. In a further sign of
growing German supremacy within the EU, David Cameron was yesterday
rebuffed by Chancellor Angela Merkel in talks over how to tackle the
euro crisis.

Last night British opponents of the EU were horrified by the bellicose
threat to Britain’s economic independence. Tory MP Peter Bone said: “I
would be happy to have a bet with the German finance minister that the
euro will disappear before the pound. It is a completely absurd
suggestion that will never happen.”

Fellow Tory backbencher Douglas Carswell said: “It is a tragedy that a
continent of millions of hard-working people is run by clowns like
this.” And UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage said: “This German
bullying is deeply unpleasant and the sooner we leave the EU the
better.”

Dr Schauble, who has used a wheelchair since being shot in an
assassination attempt in 1990, is nicknamed “Dr Strangelove” in
diplomatic circles. In his astonishing outburst yesterday, he insisted
he “respected” Britain’s decision to remain outside the euro. But he
claimed that the UK would ultimately not be able to resist the tide of
history.

His warning came amid a furious outpouring of anti-British sentiment in
Berlin. Top-selling newspaper Bild asked: “What is England still doing
in the EU?” while another paper branded Britain “the sick empire”.

Dr Schauble’s remarks came before the frosty meeting between Mr Cameron
and Mrs Merkel in Berlin yesterday.

The German Chancellor rejected outright Mr Cameron’s opposition to a new
EU-wide financial tax that would have a devastating impact on the City
of London. And she refused to be persuaded by his call for the European
Central Bank to support the euro. Money markets took a dip after their
failure to agree.

Despite smiles and protestations about their close “friendship”, their
awkward body language at a news conference betrayed bitter differences.
Last night a YouGov poll for Prospect magazine showed 51 per cent of
Britons would vote to leave the EU in a referendum while only 32 per
cent would vote to stay in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...kill-off-pound

unnecessary quoting of the link snipped...

Doesn't Germany try to conquer Europe every hundred years or so?
It's about that time again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:47*pm, Home Guy wrote:

scrap the pound

That's the closest thing in that stupid article to anything related to
home improvement.

And it's also a poorly written article that must have been in one of
the rags next to the cash register while you were checking out at the
corner store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 11:47*pm, Home Guy wrote:

BTW, does this ring a bell? It was from a month ago.
"So unless you construct a more appropriate and USEFUL subject line, I
will not reward you with relavent discourse and aid. But others here
no
doubt will overlook your lapse in judgement and effort to be a more
responsible usenet citizen and construct your posts with care and
intelligence, which includes a useful and concise subject line."

Try following your own advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 5:51*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:47*pm, Home Guy wrote:

BTW, does this ring a bell? *It was from a month ago.
"So unless you construct a more appropriate and USEFUL subject line, I
will not reward you with relavent discourse and aid. *But others here
no
doubt will overlook your lapse in judgement and effort to be a more
responsible usenet citizen and construct your posts with care and
intelligence, which includes a useful and concise subject line."

Try following your own advice.

Don't be such a prat.

Ah but people find these off topic postings far more interesting.
They run on and on.

Well the eyties, the grics and the banks have buggered up the whole
Euro thing. it was a Franco/German plot to take over the world.
Only the Germans have enough money now to save it and the German tax
payers aren't keen.
Billions have been "loaned" to the various Dagos/Paddies, (mostly by
the French banks) and it will be lost if they default as seems likely.
Their governments have been replaced with Euro(GERMAN)-appointed
dictator/bankers.
FFS, These are the guys that got us into the mess in the first place!

The German jackboot marches again.
Spain will be next. Then the whole enterprise will go tits up anyway.
The rot will spread to the US but you lot started it anyway.

They are not called the PIIGGS for nothing. I notice they are all ex-
fascist countries. Soon to be fascist again?
I wonder where we'll all be this time next year.
Merry Christmas folks and a happy (German) New Year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us1Zp...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAH3hpCdthw&feature=fvst

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

BTW, does this ring a bell? It was from a month ago.

"So unless you construct a more appropriate and USEFUL subject line,

(...)

Try following your own advice.

Um, in this case what exactly is wrong with the subject line?

The story is about Germany suggesting that the Brittish unit of currency
(the pound) will not survive future efforts to fully integrate the
european economy, and it was written in such a way to suggest that
Germany would even actively try to "kill off" the pound.

So the subject line "Germans trying to kill-off pound" is both concise
and accurate for this post.

Now, if you want to argue that the content of the post is off-topic for
this group, then you need to be more clear about that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote the following:
RicodJour wrote:

BTW, does this ring a bell? It was from a month ago.

"So unless you construct a more appropriate and USEFUL subject line,

(...)

Try following your own advice.

Um, in this case what exactly is wrong with the subject line?

I thought it was about killing off stray dogs in the shelters. :-)
Maybe the P in 'pound' should have been capitalized.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, the Germans feel their oats (bratten?) every 100 years
or so.

And, so, this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j20voPS0gI

But, we have the ultimate tool of diplomacy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93n-E...eature=related

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message

BRITAIN will soon be forced to scrap the pound and join the euro...

Good!

The British coins are totally confusing. No logic to their design.
Sizes change from small to large, then small, then large as the amount
increases. And no consistent labeling of values of coins. Look at the
link below and try to figure out which coin is which!

British Coins: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2
http://intercambiowinton.wikispaces....imagen-337.jpg

But the Euro coins get progressively larger with the amount.

Euro coins are a PLEASURE to use...
1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, ‚¬1, ‚¬2
http://www.earlystart.co.uk/images-l...oins-mixed.JPG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 9:48*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:47*pm, Home Guy wrote:

*scrap the pound

That's the closest thing in that stupid article to anything related to
home improvement.

And it's also a poorly written article that must have been in one of
the rags next to the cash register while you were checking out at the
corner store.

***Sigh. Grammar Police has to sleep w/eyes open. "Kill-
off"" (hypenated) is a noun, but not one the GP has encountered.
Whereas "kill off" w/o hyphen, is a verb. (Ex: **** off.) But nevah
mind; this is one of the most common injuries done to our virile
language.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2011 12:48 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:47 pm, Home wrote:

scrap the pound

That's the closest thing in that stupid article to anything related to
home improvement.

It does seem like "Home guy" and "heybub" are peas in a pod doesn't it?

And it's also a poorly written article that must have been in one of
the rags next to the cash register while you were checking out at the
corner store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 08:43:36 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

The British coins are totally confusing. No logic to their design.
Sizes change from small to large, then small, then large as the amount
increases. And no consistent labeling of values of coins. Look at the
link below and try to figure out which coin is which!

British Coins: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2
http://intercambiowinton.wikispaces....imagen-337.jpg

But there is logic to it. What are the coins made from? A small
amount of silver has more value than a larger amount of copper.

But the Euro coins get progressively larger with the amount.

Euro coins are a PLEASURE to use...
1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, €1, €2
http://www.earlystart.co.uk/images-l...oins-mixed.JPG

Sensible arrangement, even on bills as they change in size.

Can't speak for all of Europe, but in many places, they don't use the
smaller coins often. They are good for rounding off, even a couple of
Euro on a restaurant tab rather than make change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/11 03:56 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The British coins are totally confusing. No logic to their design.
Sizes change from small to large, then small, then large as the amount
increases. And no consistent labeling of values of coins. Look at the
link below and try to figure out which coin is which!

British Coins: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2
http://intercambiowinton.wikispaces....imagen-337.jpg

But there is logic to it. What are the coins made from? A small
amount of silver has more value than a larger amount of copper.

Some of similar size are of different materials and therefore of
different colors. Some are different shapes.

Presumably you are a citizen of the USA, all of whose paper money is the
same size and (more or less) color. How dumb is that!?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in
:

On 11/19/11 03:56 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The British coins are totally confusing. No logic to their design.
Sizes change from small to large, then small, then large as the
amount increases. And no consistent labeling of values of coins.
Look at the link below and try to figure out which coin is which!

British Coins: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2
http://intercambiowinton.wikispaces....n-337.jpg/1789
94227/imagen-337.jpg

But there is logic to it. What are the coins made from? A small
amount of silver has more value than a larger amount of copper.

Some of similar size are of different materials and therefore of
different colors. Some are different shapes.

Presumably you are a citizen of the USA, all of whose paper money is
the same size and (more or less) color. How dumb is that!?

Perce

Lot of our bills have color now. We have color TV too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

British Coins: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2http://intercambiowinton.wikispaces.com/file/view/imagen-337.jpg/1789...

But the Euro coins get progressively larger with the amount.

Euro coins are a PLEASURE to use...
1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, €1, €2http://www.earlystart.co.uk/images-lang/EURO-coins-mixed.JPG

I find your banknotes confusing. Virtually identical.
As for the coins, I am amazed that you still use such small value
coins.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 6:17*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 23:33:07 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

They are not called the PIIGGS for nothing. *I notice they are all ex-
fascist countries

When you put in the extra I and G you are including Ireland and Great
Britain. I agree, we thought you were fascists in the 18th century but
you are getting better *;-)

Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Germany, Spain.
All ex-fascist. Germany plus the ones they intend to take over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Heh Heh. It many years since there was any silver in our coins.
I have a few but they are long obsolete, predecimal.
The "silver" became cupro-nickel before I was born.
You can still obtain gold soveriegns but they are used as gifts or
investments.
Our present coins are actually steelcoated in copper and cupro-nickel.

They had to do this, the previous ones were worth more as scrap than
their face value.

There has been talk of a £5 coin lately. = $7 approx.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_coins

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2011 1:33 AM, harry wrote:
On Nov 19, 5:51 am, wrote:
On Nov 18, 11:47 pm, Home wrote:

[...]

Those videos reminded me of watching a Japanese monster movie because
the sound was out of sync with the speakers. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 3:36*am, harry wrote:

I find your banknotes confusing. Virtually identical.

Which explains your issues with reading. The letters are all
virtually identical - unless you look at them!

As for the coins, I am amazed that you still use such small value
coins.

I am amazed we're still using coins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When the CC isn't working, that twenty could buy some gas,
and get you home. I'd sure be irritated if my emergency
twenty got spent on garage sale stuff.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vic Smith" wrote in
message ...

Funny thing about that is I always want 20 bucks in my
wallet.
I hardly ever need it because I have a CC, and hardly ever
shop in
brick/mortar stores.
But when I go out I always look for cash in my wallet first.
Usually my wife has taken it all.
So I yell about it, and she gets some cash back in the
wallet.

My wife goes to a lot of rummage stores and uses cash for
small
purchases, mostly as an aversion to using the CC.
That all shows up on the CC statement.
She has a cash machine at her work, so it's easy for her to
get cash.
The other day she was going out shopping and asked me if she
could
take the 20 in my wallet.
I said "No!" Her mistake asking me.
She got ****ed.

Anyway, I don't know the answer.
I still want a 20 in my wallet. Two 20's would be better.
And a couple 10's.
And maybe a 5 and three singles.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 3:23*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 00:36:08 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Nov 19, 4:43*pm, "Bill" wrote:
"Home Guy" wrote in message

BRITAIN will soon be forced to scrap the pound and join the euro...

Good!

The British coins are totally confusing. No logic to their design.
Sizes change from small to large, then small, then large as the amount
increases. And no consistent labeling of values of coins. Look at the
link below and try to figure out which coin is which!

British Coins: 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2http://intercambiowinton.wikispaces.com/file/view/imagen-337.jpg/1789...

But the Euro coins get progressively larger with the amount.

Euro coins are a PLEASURE to use...
1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, €1, €2http://www.earlystart.co.uk/images-lang/EURO-coins-mixed.JPG

I find your banknotes confusing. Virtually identical.
As for the coins, I am amazed that you still use such small value
coins.

The US is rapidly becoming cashless. I use a debit card for virtually
everything these days if it is more than a couple of bucks * ... and
what isn't?- Hide quoted text -

A lot of people over here are the same.
I use mostly cash, it stops the gov. checking out my movements.
Also I want bankers to starve.
I suppose the small value coins are for the indians and Mexicans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 4:09*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

wrote:

They are not called the PIIGGS for nothing. *I notice they are all ex-
fascist countries

When you put in the extra I and G you are including Ireland and Great
Britain. I agree, we thought you were fascists in the 18th century but
you are getting better *;-)

Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Germany, Spain.
All ex-fascist. *Germany plus the ones they intend to take over.

Germany is not one of the Gs in PIGGS. It is Great Britain ... but
maybe they didn't tell you that on BBC. Google it

* Actually it isn't. In fact, it isn't PIGGS, it is PIIGS Google it.
They are Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain.

Only an Englishman can call Ireland fascist.

acquired carpal tunnel syndrome.-Howard Berkowitz- Hide quoted text -

I know. I just adde Germany in as it seemed fitting. Schweinhunt as
they used to say in comics. In Gothic print.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 07:42:57 -0800 (PST), RicodJour wrote:

On Nov 20, 3:36*am, harry wrote:

I find your banknotes confusing. Virtually identical.

Which explains your issues with reading. The letters are all
virtually identical - unless you look at them!

A lot of '1's, '2's, '5's, and '0's, though. Very few '3's (all the Clinton
bills went into collections).

As for the coins, I am amazed that you still use such small value
coins.

I am amazed we're still using coins.

Why? Not everything is in multiples of $1. Sales tax, for one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:20:09 -0600, "
wrote:

..
I am amazed we're still using coins.

Why? Not everything is in multiples of $1. Sales tax, for one...

Doubt they will ever be eliminated, but they can be reduced by
rounding. Start with eliminating pennies. Once people get used to
that, start using a simple method of skipping over the last couple of
cents and stick with 50¢. A $15.30 bill becomes $15.00 or at least
$15.25.

This is done a lot in Italy. My restaurant bill was 52 Euro. I had
no coin, so I have the waiter a 50 and a 10. Expecting 8 back, I was
surprised he gave me the 10 back rather than make change.

Hi loss though. Tipping is not expected there, but a small tip is
appreciated and I was going to leave one. With no smaller bills, I did
not.

I really hate it when you buy something and it comes to $130.03 and
you have no small change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 19, 4:43 pm, wrote:
"Home Guy" wrote in message

[...]

We had this strange and wonderful man who lived during our country's
formative years. He said "A penny saved is a penny earned." He was a
pretty smart fellow. ^_^

I wind up with all sorts of change over a weeks time of being out and
about working. I sort out all the real old coins I find and put the pile
that's left into a zip lock bag and back into my pocket to spend on the
next caffeine loaded drink at the next convenience store stop to keep me
awake on road trips to various jobs. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

.
I am amazed we're still using coins.

Why? Not everything is in multiples of $1. Sales tax, for one...

Doubt they will ever be eliminated, but they can be reduced by
rounding. Start with eliminating pennies. Once people get used to
that, start using a simple method of skipping over the last couple of
cents and stick with 50¢. A $15.30 bill becomes $15.00 or at least
$15.25.

This is done a lot in Italy. My restaurant bill was 52 Euro. I had
no coin, so I have the waiter a 50 and a 10. Expecting 8 back, I was
surprised he gave me the 10 back rather than make change.

Hi loss though. Tipping is not expected there, but a small tip is
appreciated and I was going to leave one. With no smaller bills, I did
not.

I really hate it when you buy something and it comes to $130.03 and
you have no small change.

I always try to keep a small handful of change in my pocket.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

.
I am amazed we're still using coins.

Why? Not everything is in multiples of $1. Sales tax, for one...

Doubt they will ever be eliminated, but they can be reduced by
rounding. Start with eliminating pennies. Once people get used to
that, start using a simple method of skipping over the last couple of
cents and stick with 50¢. A $15.30 bill becomes $15.00 or at least
$15.25.

What does a $1 bill become, after tax?

This is done a lot in Italy. My restaurant bill was 52 Euro. I had
no coin, so I have the waiter a 50 and a 10. Expecting 8 back, I was
surprised he gave me the 10 back rather than make change.

That happens now. I'd be rather miffed if they took the $.99, though.

Hi loss though. Tipping is not expected there, but a small tip is
appreciated and I was going to leave one. With no smaller bills, I did
not.

I really hate it when you buy something and it comes to $130.03 and
you have no small change.

I always carry some change. Quite often I pay with exact change. I paid with
exact change in a restaurant Friday night and this noon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:07:07 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 11/20/2011 12:16 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 09:48:49 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 10:23:02 -0500,
wrote:

[...]

I never have less than a few hundred in my wallet. Emergency money.

Bret Maverick kept a $1,000.00 bill pinned to the inside of his coat for
emergency purposes. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maverick_%28TV_series%29

Not a single bill, obviously, but until a week ago, I had been carrying ten
Franklins around in my wallet. I was looking for a laptop for SWMBO[*] but I
didn't find one I liked, so ordered one.
[*] Intended as a Christmas present but hers died too soon.