Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Germans trying to kill-off pound

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:10:14 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:20:09 -0600, "
wrote:

.
I am amazed we're still using coins.

Why? Not everything is in multiples of $1. Sales tax, for one...

Doubt they will ever be eliminated, but they can be reduced by
rounding. Start with eliminating pennies. Once people get used to
that, start using a simple method of skipping over the last couple of
cents and stick with 50¢. A $15.30 bill becomes $15.00 or at least
$15.25.

What does a $1 bill become, after tax?

This is done a lot in Italy. My restaurant bill was 52 Euro. I had
no coin, so I have the waiter a 50 and a 10. Expecting 8 back, I was
surprised he gave me the 10 back rather than make change.

That happens now. I'd be rather miffed if they took the $.99, though.

Hi loss though. Tipping is not expected there, but a small tip is
appreciated and I was going to leave one. With no smaller bills, I did
not.

I really hate it when you buy something and it comes to $130.03 and
you have no small change.

I always carry some change. Quite often I pay with exact change. I paid with
exact change in a restaurant Friday night and this noon.