Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Wells Fargo sucks again.

I had message on my answering machine.............This is Wells Fargo
calling about some suspicious activity on your card. Please call us
at 800-446-0664.

I went online and checked my card and there was nothing charged for 3
days. I called the number just to see.......The message says to enter
the last 4 of my credit card number. OK NOT. I hung up and
called WF fraud number.

The guy that answered asked for the suspicious number I gave it to
him. He said something like well we don't have every number for the
credit card offices............I forgot exactly the excuse he used,
but basically said I need to transfer you to somebody that gives a
****. He gave me another number and then offered to transfer
me.....The new number wanted me to key in my account number.......I
said "banker" a few times and a recording said.............we can't
process your call. CLICK

I called the original "fraud" number and explained again to the new
person that answered and gave her the suspicious number....She said
that the number was a fraudulent number and asked if I had furnished
any info. I told her no. I just thought she might be interested in
knowing. She said that she was and asked if she could help me with
anything else. I said no, but I hope you catch the guy. I got the
feeling that it was about 50 50 if investigate the number any farther.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

I had message on my answering machine.............This is Wells Fargo
calling about some suspicious activity on your card. Please call us
at 800-446-0664.

In my area that's suspicious right off the bat.

The privacy laws in my area say that financial institutions are forbidden
from disclosing ANY details AT ALL about why they're calling when they
leave a message. All they can say is something like, "Hi, this is Joe So-
and-so at Whatchamacallit Bank, branch XXXX in MyCity, MyState. Please call
me at your earliest convenience at 555-5555." That's it.

One time I found a girl's ID by the side of the road. The amount of stuff
scattered in one area led to me to believe that these were the contents of
her purse, minus cash and credit cards, of course. This girl banked at the
institution my wife works for, but in a different town. My wife called her
at the phone number on record at the bank, but was unable to say /why/ she
was calling in the messages she was forced to leave on the answering
machine. My wife called several times over the next couple of weeks, hoping
to be answered by a person instead of the answering machine, but that never
happened. The girl never phoned back, probably thinking my wife was making
some kind of sales calls. I think the bank eventually destroyed the pieces
of ID.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Tegger
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

[...]

gee, rather than calling the police?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote in
:

[...]

And you didn't immediately take the ID and all other items to the Police
because? You had no business keeping the items and your wife should not have
called as a rep of the bank. You should have turned in the items let the
Police handle it. Yeesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote in
:

In article , Tegger
wrote:

snip

My wife called several
times over the next couple of weeks, hoping to be answered by a
person instead of the answering machine, but that never happened. The
girl never phoned back, probably thinking my wife was making some
kind of sales calls. I think the bank eventually destroyed the pieces
of ID.

gee, rather than calling the police?

The ID had spent several months under a snowbank, exposed only once the
snow had melted. This was quite obvious given the condition of the cards.

A bank rep did contact the cops. Between the bank's records and the cops'
records it was discovered that the girl had long ago replaced all the
paperwork I found. I had an idea that this would be the case, but I guessed
that the girl might appreciate closure on what was probably a traumatic
event at the time. I guessed wrong, evidently.

The cops told the bank rep that if they couldn't get hold of the girl, just
to cut up the cards and forget about it. Besides, they were too busy
ticketing automobile drivers to worry about actual crime.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote the following:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

[...]

Well, it's a good thing you didn't call the police right off the bat.
The documents could have been evidence in a crime, like the person was
abducted or was missing. Calling the police would have meant that the
police would have come to your house to retrieve the evidence and ask a
bunch of questions like exactly where you found it, why you kept it for
weeks, and all that other bull****.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

This number 800-446-0664 is Wells Fargo Visa card fraud protection. They left an automated voice mail message today 10/10/2014 stating my full name and needing to confirm transactions. My card was stolen last night, and used today at a gas station. WF flagged the transaction. Their algorithms must be getting better. Of course, I never spend $100 at a gas station. Must have been a big tank to fill. (I'm posting this in all of the who-called phone number sites just to make sure everyone sees that it is legit)
Posted to alt.home.repair

amex did similar. however the card was not stolen, just unusable. not
sure why. the charge was/would have been $250, a bit high for a gas
bill, but not entirely impossible. I reckon the actual charge would have
been billed _ had _ the card gone through for actual amount.

cheers
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Speaking of credit card, once some time ago, My daughter was traveling
in Europe in the summer, wife went home to Korea for a visit, I was home
dog/cat sitting. Some how we used card almost simultaneously once. Bank
called me, primary card holder wondering what's going on.....

I always call ahead of time when leaving the country just to keep them
happy. Heck, you have to call just to go to S. Florida or they stop it.
Every trip to the Keys over the last 10 years has required a call to the
CC firm because they stop it. The customer care folks tell me I don't
need to call w/in the Continental US. I tell them my experience
indicates otherwise and to please humor me.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2014 9:53 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I always call ahead of time when leaving the country just to keep them
happy. Heck, you have to call just to go to S. Florida or they stop it.
Every trip to the Keys over the last 10 years has required a call to the
CC firm because they stop it. The customer care folks tell me I don't
need to call w/in the Continental US. I tell them my experience
indicates otherwise and to please humor me.

My CC lets me go on line and give the dates and states. When I went to
Italy last trip, after 2+ weeks of no problems, the very last charge at
the airport motel required a call. I ended up using a different card as
the guy at the desk was confused figuring it out.

I got a text one asking me about a charge. I was on my way home from
work, not in Paris, so I texted a "no" back. In seconds, my phone rang
and they trashed the card and had a new one on the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 09:53:23 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Speaking of credit card, once some time ago, My daughter was traveling
in Europe in the summer, wife went home to Korea for a visit, I was home
dog/cat sitting. Some how we used card almost simultaneously once. Bank
called me, primary card holder wondering what's going on.....

I always call ahead of time when leaving the country just to keep them
happy. Heck, you have to call just to go to S. Florida or they stop it.
Every trip to the Keys over the last 10 years has required a call to the
CC firm because they stop it.

How do they know it's you calling? Do they ask the security questions,
in which case one could call from S. Florida when he first has troubles?

Or do they go by caller-ID and expect you to use a land-line?