Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unlock your car with a string

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Camaro guy ought have called a locksmith.

The web page does have a video of a guy doing just exactly
this. Must work in some cases.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone
ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The
driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was
trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys.
Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver
side and
broke the drivers' window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I've never failed to open that type of lock with a coat hanger and a couple
chunks of wood for wedges to spring the door a bit to allow access.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

I worked for about ten years on the Las Vegas Strip as a parking attendant.
We had lots of people locking their keys in the cars. We'd give them the
spiel of, "Well, we can give the locksmith a call, but it will cost you $100
or more, but we MIGHT be able to get it open........................ Mind
if we try?" Except for Mercedes, RR, and Corvettes, I didn't have a problem
with most of them, and a lot were very very easy. Governor Miller was the
worst. He'd say, "I did it again.........", and we'd just wave him on.
"Don't worry, we'll take care of it." Lincolns take about five seconds to
get into the back door. Most are surprisingly easy with a slim Jim, or a
piece of precisely bent SS filler rods. If you don't panic, and use logic,
it takes a real doofus to use a rock to enter a lockout. A couple of wood
shims are the most valuable items.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 6:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The Camaro guy ought have called a locksmith.

The web page does have a video of a guy doing just exactly
this. Must work in some cases.

In the video the lock button is clearly made with a groove around it for
the string to grab it so easily. I don't recall last time I saw a lock
like that, that's why they stopped using the old type lock buttons with
a larger top in the first place. It may work at times, but not all the
time.

One time at an old train station my boss was renting part of the
building and someone parked in our clearly marked parking spot. The
plastic lock "buttons" were very smooth and more narrow towards the top.
I got a hanger, bent a small hook in it, and ground it to make a sharp
barb. The barb stuck in the plastic and allowed me to unlock it. Stick
shift, locked steering, I rolled it out into the middle of the parking
lot almost blocking a lot of cars. Too bad I didn't get to see the guys
expression when he got off the train and saw his car. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

But a few different sized twigs will do the job if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

I was dumb enough to lock myself out of mine 2 days ago. The window was
down about an inch.

Tried the string and it failed. A coat hanger with a loop, allowed me to
roll the window down enough to get my arm in. Yes I don't have power
windows!

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

One vehicle I have will not let me lock if the key is still in the ignition
switch. The other vehicle I have a extra key in my billfold that will let me
unlock the door. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:35:28 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

It worked fine on the old "knob" style doorlocks up until the early
seventies but does NOT work on today's "pick proof" tapered buttons as
shown on the website. Butcher cord has been used to steal a LOT of
cars over the years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

Hi,
Many new cars does not have that knob to pull.
We have family menbership for AMA(AAA counter part up here)
One phone call does it all. Jump boosting. unlocking a door, changing a
flat tire, towing,etc. Family rate is 92.00 per year. I think it is
wortth money. I works out of province too thru an affiliates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 5:12 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

another thing you can do is get your hangar all bent right, and lined
up, then pull it out, heat the end with a lighter, stick it back in and
let it melt into the lock knob, then pull.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 1, 6:35*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
This seems to have a very low probably of working. *Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. *The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. *The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. *Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. *He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

If that is a true story, that is one of the biggest morons I've ever
heard of of. And what do you mean by "lucky for him the windshield
wouldn't break"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:59:30 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I've never failed to open that type of lock with a coat hanger and a couple
chunks of wood for wedges to spring the door a bit to allow access.

Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick of dynamite
in your wallet. Drill a hole in any door, inset the dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been asked, many times, to sell people lock picks. "in
case they get locked out of thier car". I used to spend a
lot of time explaining. Now, I reccomend a spare key to be
ground, and put in the wallet or coat pocket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
news
Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Locked-Car-With-a-Mobile

This one was debunked, on a couple of web sites. Doesn't
pass the common sense test. So, a car remote (that puts out
low power radio frequency electro magnetic waves) is
expected to open a car, by going through a cell phone (that
transmits sound waves, not RF).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

Very clever.

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

If one is going to break in with a slim jim, and probably by breaking
the window, it's better to do so on the passenger side. A friend
locked his keys in the car in Cambridge Md. and the cops there are
nice enough there to break in with a slim jim. But in doing so he
unhooked the rod inside the driver's door, and my friend had to go in
through the passenger side all day. He had passengers during the
day, so we broke even, but when he went home, until he fixed it, it
woudl have been better if the pasenger door lock didn't work and his
door did.

(I fixed the lock before he left. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 9:17 PM, Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

I was dumb enough to lock myself out of mine 2 days ago. The window was
down about an inch.

Tried the string and it failed. A coat hanger with a loop, allowed me to
roll the window down enough to get my arm in. Yes I don't have power
windows!

Colbyt

I wonder if the string was coated with something that has a little tack,
rosin or maybe bees wax. Or instead of string, use a piece of thin
insulated electrical wire, probably not the Teflon variety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 4:50*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've been asked, many times, to sell people lock picks. "in
case they get locked out of thier car". I used to spend a
lot of time explaining. Now, I reccomend a spare key to be
ground, and put in the wallet or coat pocket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

news
Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. *Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. Guy
sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? I locked mine in hte
cab". No go, locksmith showed up finally. I showed him my spare in
the billfold.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've been asked, many times, to sell people lock picks. "in
case they get locked out of thier car". I used to spend a
lot of time explaining. Now, I reccomend a spare key to be
ground, and put in the wallet or coat pocket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

news
Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. Guy
sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? I locked mine in hte
cab". No go, locksmith showed up finally. I showed him my spare in
the billfold.

I keep the coat hanger IN the car, for other's benefit. It's been used a few
times. I've also "borrowed" coat hangers in the past for less prepared for
occasions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 2, 12:59*am, Ron wrote:
On Nov 1, 6:35*pm, Metspitzer wrote:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. *Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. *The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. *The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. *Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. *He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

If that is a true story, that is one of the biggest morons I've ever
heard of of. And what do you mean by "lucky for him the windshield
wouldn't break"?

Well, generally the windshield is the most expensive piece of glass on
any car, and the hardest to replace (at least on a late model car, as
they're typically all glued in now.) On a car with a large glass
hatch, I suppose that might be more expensive, but still. Oh, and how
are you gonna drive home with a bigass hole in the windshield, unless
you happen to have a pair of goggles in the glovebox? seriously.

If you're gonna bust something, bust a door window or quarter window
(assuming the latter is the gasketed type.) Also those will shatter
cleanly and not spiderweb but stay in place like a windshield.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've been asked, many times, to sell people lock picks. "in
case they get locked out of thier car". I used to spend a
lot of time explaining. Now, I reccomend a spare key to be
ground, and put in the wallet or coat pocket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

news
Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. Guy
sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? I locked mine in hte
cab". No go, locksmith showed up finally. I showed him my spare in
the billfold.

I keep the coat hanger IN the car, for other's benefit. It's been used a
few times. I've also "borrowed" coat hangers in the past for less prepared
for occasions.

We do real estate reserve studies, which are a professional analysis of
properties where HOA dues are collected. I have a set of slim Jims,
picklocks, and various specialty wires to evaluate the level of protection
offered by the lock systems. Understandably, it goes from 0-10 on a scale.
I must admit that I need to put a car slim Jim in there so that I can help
out the occasional hapless driver. I can pick a Quickset lock, or some
lower quality locks with two paper clips. At times, they do not provide us
the keys to the pool pump rooms due to incompetence, so we just let
ourselves in, wearing our badge and state issued IDs.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote

But a few different sized twigs will do the job if needed.

Yup. Just something to give you a little air space between the glass and
gasket so you don't leave marks or damage.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, the rear doors are the easiest way to get in, particularly if the
buttons can be seen. Bend a piece of stout wire in two L's, making a boxy
looking J. Put a couple of shims between glass and gasket. Make one L
about 3" long, the other 2". You're trying to go under the bottom part of
the window and come up under the button with the tip of the wire. You can
also do it with a slim Jim, just feel around in there, and when you see the
door button move, you've hit a component.

Be very careful when pulling or pushing, as a lot of the pieces are held
together with just a plastic keeper. Lincolns take about two seconds with
this wire. Stainless steel filler wire is the best, as it doesn't bend
easily, and will stay stiff when you hit the right component. Slim jims
should have different ends, one with a J, the other with a V. That way,
whether you have to push or pull, you have the right configuration.

Sometimes the slim Jim has to be repeatedly curved so it gets over to the
mechanism. It ain't very hard once you've done a couple of hundred of them.
On the front door, you keep your finger on the outside of the lock so you
can feel when you touch the component inside. After that, it's just
mentally visualizing what's in there, and bending the slim Jim to catch what
you need. Trips to the local junk yard are a good thing, too, if you're
going to seriously get into this, as you can see the mechanisms exposed. It
is surprising how very simple some of them actually are.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

The lock "plunger" on my van is rectangular in shape with a small
concave area that an occupant could put a finger tip into to unlock
the door, but doesn't leave much for any kind of hook to grab onto.

However, the lock control that an occupant would normally use to
activate the power locks sticks out of the door panel, perpendicular
to the panel.

AAA opened my van by slipping a hooked instrument down through the
window, hooking it under the lock control and lifting up to activate
the power locks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 09:08:10 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

We do real estate reserve studies, which are a professional analysis of
properties where HOA dues are collected. I have a set of slim Jims,
picklocks, and various specialty wires to evaluate the level of protection
offered by the lock systems. Understandably, it goes from 0-10 on a scale.
I must admit that I need to put a car slim Jim in there so that I can help
out the occasional hapless driver. I can pick a Quickset lock, or some
lower quality locks with two paper clips. At times, they do not provide us
the keys to the pool pump rooms due to incompetence, so we just let
ourselves in, wearing our badge and state issued IDs.

Steve

If real estate gets slow, you can always fall back to cat burglar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace windshield
instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
The lock "plunger" on my van is rectangular in shape with a small
concave area that an occupant could put a finger tip into to unlock
the door, but doesn't leave much for any kind of hook to grab onto.

The sharp end of a hanger, maybe even cut with dykes, will easily grab it. Maybe
it takes a few trys, but it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for
him the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver
side and broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace
windshield instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

Why would someone break a window when a coat hanger will get you in? Idiots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 3:28*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
The lock "plunger" on my van is rectangular in shape with a small
concave area that an occupant could put a finger tip into to unlock
the door, but doesn't leave much *for any kind of hook to grab onto.

The sharp end of a hanger, maybe even cut with dykes, will easily grab it.. Maybe
it takes a few trys, but it works.

....and possibly scratch or rip the plastic covering as it slides off
during the first few tries.

Using a hooked device on the power lock lever itself will not cause
any damage.

As long as the choice is available, why take a chance on causing
damage?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 4:25*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 07:11:54 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
I've been asked, many times, to sell people lock picks. "in
case they get locked out of thier car". I used to spend a
lot of time explaining. Now, I reccomend a spare key to be
ground, and put in the wallet or coat pocket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

news

Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. *Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. *Guy
sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? *I locked mine in hte
cab". *No go, locksmith showed up finally. *I showed him my spare in
the billfold.

Harry K

Some people just dont understand.....
Spare car door key goes in wallet. *spare ignition key goes inside of
car in a hidden place, and includes a spare key for your garage.
Inside your garage, there should be a hidden spare key for your house.
If you have trouble remembering stuff, put a note in your wallet
telling you where all these keys are located, but write it in a code
that another person wont understand, if your wallet is lost or stolen.

The only problem now, is where to hide the key for your wallet - Hide quoted text -

"Some people just dont understand.....
Spare car door key goes in wallet..."

Some people just don't understand...

Not everyone carries a wallet. I carry cash and a debit card in my
back pocket and typically leave my wallet in my van.

Rarely - almost never - do I end up someplace where they ask for my
driver license unexpectedly. In the vast majority of cases I know
before hand that I will need a photo ID. In those cases I grab my
wallet before I go in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
WW wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

One vehicle I have will not let me lock if the key is still in the ignition
switch. The other vehicle I have a extra key in my billfold that will let me
unlock the door. WW

If my memory serves me, it was my 1964 Dodge Dart that had a foolproof
lock setup. The only wa to lock the doors was with the key, from outside.
A little less convenient, but there was absolutely no way to lock your
keys inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 2, 3:28 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
The lock "plunger" on my van is rectangular in shape with a small
concave area that an occupant could put a finger tip into to unlock
the door, but doesn't leave much for any kind of hook to grab onto.

The sharp end of a hanger, maybe even cut with dykes, will easily
grab it. Maybe it takes a few trys, but it works.

...and possibly scratch or rip the plastic covering as it slides off
during the first few tries.

Using a hooked device on the power lock lever itself will not cause
any damage.

As long as the choice is available, why take a chance on causing
damage?

I've never had a problem. And often don't have power locks to work with.
And, what plastic covering? All the locks I've dealt with are hard plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

REPLY: If you can just get enough space, say 1/8" in the window, you can
put all manner of ingenious little things in there. Sometimes these things
are laying beside the road, or in the parking lot, or just handy.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote

If real estate gets slow, you can always fall back to cat burglar.

Nah, it doesn't pay as good, and being a cat burglar is too strenuous and
stressful. You've heard of second story men? I would have trouble with
single story dwelling windows.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 2, 11:30*am, N8N wrote:

Well, generally the windshield is the most expensive piece of glass on
any car, and the hardest to replace (at least on a late model car, as
they're typically all glued in now.) *On a car with a large glass
hatch, I suppose that might be more expensive, but still. *Oh, and how
are you gonna drive home with a bigass hole in the windshield, unless
you happen to have a pair of goggles in the glovebox? *seriously.

If you're gonna bust something, bust a door window or quarter window
(assuming the latter is the gasketed type.) *Also those will shatter
cleanly and not spiderweb but stay in place like a windshield.

There is nothing hard about replacing a windshield if you know what
you are doing. When I was in the glass business I could replace most
windshields in 20 minutes or less. And not much has changed since I
quit the glass business in '02. If anything a lot windshields are
even easier to replace on cars produced since I got out of the
business, because they are flush mounted in urethane w/o any moldings
to remove. I look at cars these days and think to myself how easy
todays auto glass installers have it.

Door glasses are very time consuming to replace. You have to remove
the door panel, clean out all of the glass in the door including the
frame if the vehicle has one, install the new glass which sometimes
has a bunch of attachments, make sure it rolls up correctly, put the
door panel back on, and then vacuum up the mess inside of the car.

AFA vehicles with a rubber set quarter glass, those were pretty much
done away by the late 80's mid 90's. Off of the top of my head the
full size Ford Broncos, Chevy Suburbans, Isuzu Troopers, Jeep
Cherokees and other SUVs (if that's want you wanna call them) were
about the only vehicles that still had rubber set quarter glasses
going into the 90's. Replacing a quarter glass on a lot of "older"
vehicles is also a pain in ass if you have to remove any of the
interior. A lot quarter glasses today are a piece of cake because they
are flush mounted and set in urethane. Again, todays auto glass
installers have it easy.

The bottom line is, Camaro boy is a moron. First of all for trying to
break the windshield, and second of all for not knowing that it's a
laminated piece of glass. I can't believe that if he was trying to
break the windshield with a "big rock" that he didn't at least break
the outer layer of glass.

A tip, if you ever have to break a piece of glass on your vehicle to
get in, call Safelite Autoglass (you can reach someone 24/7) and ask
them what the least expensive piece of glass is to replace. Sometimes
the smallest piece of glass isn't always the least expensive to
replace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Jim Yanik wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for
him the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver
side and broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace
windshield instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

Why would someone break a window when a coat hanger will get you in?
Idiots.

Me suspects altered states of consciousness ..................... ?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 4:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Nov 2, 12:20 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

That what she said!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 2, 2:29*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Metspitzer wrote :

This seems to have a very low probably of working. *Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. *The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. *The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. *Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. *He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace windshield
instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

For a professional auto glass installer, 95% of the time the
windshield is the easiest and quickest piece of glass to replace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace
windshield instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

Why would someone break a window when a coat hanger will get you in?
Idiots.

Me suspects altered states of consciousness ..................... ?

Should we acknowledge you as the resident expert on this?