Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unlock your car with a string

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 07:30:23 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Actually, the BIGGEST problem WAS the ground on the IGNITION
module, which was case GROUND. We were used to POINTS
ignition, and so we didn't know that the MODULE had to be
wire brushed and SOMETIMES installed in a DIFFERENT spot.

You must have kept yours a lot longer than I kept mine.
And I never ran into module ground issues on customer vehicles either
- but then again, I stopped working on the stuff on a daily basis
before they were 20 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2011 9:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm guessing people mistake you for a custodian, now and
again?

Or a jailer, I jingle when I walk and it drives dogs crazy. I always
wondered why until I listened to my rattling keys with my ultrasonic
leak detector. In the headphones, my jingling keys sound like pots and
pans being banged together. No wonder the dogs go bonkers. ^_^

Of course, I often just slip the bunch of keys into my pocket while they
are still attached to the belt strap. It stops the jingling. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2011 10:36 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 22:47:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Mine was a 1974, the first year with electronic igniton.
Would not run when it was wet. Sometimes it would fire right
up, drive to the store, and it would refuse to take me home.
I've cursed more at that car than the years before or since.

All you needed was some good wires. I ran "silver beauty MSW" wires
on my '63 170, '69 225, and '74 225 and NEVER had moisture problems. I
could drive it into the carwash, hose it down, and drive back out
without ever missing a beat. I always kept a second balast resistor on
the firewall of the '74.

Never had ANY starting problems other than the resistor on the '74.
Burned out a starter on the '69, and it didn't start very well at -45F
with 20W50 oil in it. The '63 (206 rwhp) ate plugs for lunch untill I
latched onto Nippondenso plugs (ep25r I think? colder than a rock). As
long as the plugs were good that little rascal would start and go like
jack the bear.

Good wires on the 265 inch flathead in the '57 Fargo meant it NEVER
gave any trouble starting, and nor did the '53 241 red ram Coronet.

I always replaced the factory ballast resistor on my electronic ignition
Mopars with a Napa Echlin part that had a sealed back. The factory unit
was open which allowed contaminants to corrode the resistor wire. I kept
the old working one in the glove box to help rescue anyone who knew
no better. I put a 3/4 race cam in a 170 slant six and the little Dart
would wind up to 100mph in second gear if you held the automatic there.
The difference between the 225 and 170 was the stroke. The height of the
block, crank shaft and push rods were the only difference if I remember
correctly. Of course the exhaust manifold was lower so the connection
the exhaust pipe had a shorter bend. I put the biggest one
barrel carb I could find on the little 170 and a Thrush muffler in place
of the stock muffler because I blew the stock muffler off when I wound
the engine up at speed, it really screamed. The Dart/Valient line were
inexpensive fun cars for a young man to play with and all sorts of parts
from other Chrysler Corp vehicles would bolt on. Darn, that was 40 years
ago. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

A cell phone does not have to be the same frequency as a remote.
Harmonics are always present in transmitters. Given the right
combination of hardware this cell/remote trick can work.

Nope.
Won't/can't happen. An early garage door opener, mabee. But the remote
door locks all work with a fixed carrier frequency with an "impressed"
signal frequency.

Never say never. With the right combination of remote and cell phone
unwanted induced currents with the coded information can mix within
the cell phone and be transmitted. Harmonics can do the rest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 4:50 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've been asked, many times, to sell people lock picks. "in
case they get locked out of thier car". I used to spend a
lot of time explaining. Now, I reccomend a spare key to be
ground, and put in the wallet or coat pocket.

Lock picks are as useless as a precision engraver to most people. Lock
picks are definitely not as easy to master even the basics of as most people
think. My first lock took me ten minutes, and it was a Kwikset, about the
easiest to open there is. A lock that a locksmith could get into in thirty
seconds might take an amateur an hour. And said amateur COULD foul up
something, increasing the cost of repair. Get a magnetic Hide a Key, or
wallet key. AND, in some states, merely being in possession of lock picks
without having a state issued locksmith ID is grounds for possession of
burglary tools, no matter what your explanation is.
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Actually, the BIGGEST problem WAS the ground on the IGNITION
module, which was case GROUND. We were used to POINTS
ignition, and so we didn't know that the MODULE had to be
wire brushed and SOMETIMES installed in a DIFFERENT spot.

You must have kept yours a lot longer than I kept mine.
And I never ran into module ground issues on customer vehicles either
- but then again, I stopped working on the stuff on a daily basis
before they were 20 years old.

Ford pickups were bad for ignition modules, too. Let them cool off for
about an hour, and they'd start right up like nothing was wrong. Just don't
turn it off before you get home, and get another in the morning. AND, don't
turn it off when you're in the parts house, or you'll have another hour's
wait.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got news for you. WikiHow, Wikipedia and Mythbusters are not always
right. This is one such time.

I have seen Mythbusters wrong many times. Peeing on an electric fence was
one of those times. I guess that time I peed on the electric fence and rode
the thunderbolt really didn't happen ................

I musta been wrong ...............

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Same applies to a slim-jim - or even a "pre- bent" coat hangar.

My mechanic's licence would gat me off the hook for carrying a
slim-jim in my van.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I got news for you. WikiHow, Wikipedia and Mythbusters are not always
right. This is one such time.

I have seen Mythbusters wrong many times. Peeing on an electric
fence was one of those times. I guess that time I peed on the
electric fence and rode the thunderbolt really didn't happen
I musta been wrong ...............

A guy I worked with had a childhood story.

He was near an electric fence, and a kitten was nearby. He decided to see what
the electric fence would do to the kitten. He picked up the kitten, and touched
its nose to the fance.

He said the next thing he knew, he was laying on the ground feet from the fence.

My immediate thought - there is justice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do.... your.... keys hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?

Can you tie em in a knot
can you tie em in a bow?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 11/4/2011 9:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm guessing people mistake you for a custodian, now and
again?

Or a jailer, I jingle when I walk and it drives dogs crazy.
I always
wondered why until I listened to my rattling keys with my
ultrasonic
leak detector. In the headphones, my jingling keys sound
like pots and
pans being banged together. No wonder the dogs go bonkers.
^_^

Of course, I often just slip the bunch of keys into my
pocket while they
are still attached to the belt strap. It stops the jingling.
^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Same applies to a slim-jim - or even a "pre- bent" coat hangar.

My mechanic's licence would gat me off the hook for carrying a
slim-jim in my van.

And whether or not you're dealing with Deputy Fife, or a reasonable person.
We have letters of authorization from the developer and property management
companies, and that is just gain entry "by any means possible" to equipment
areas, pool gates, storage, but NO domiciles. It is amazing the number of
times we are dispatched to investigate a property, and are given no gate
codes or keys ..............

I also consult, and give a security evaluation, checking how easy their
systems are to defeat. Some can be defeated with a short twig of wood
laying on the ground.

We also have a SIL who is a sergeant, and daughter who is a regular officer
in that jurisdiction.

I have never opened a car for a resident, though, as I do not want to open
that bag of snakes. Even if I SEE the person lock their own cars. To do it
right, you need to see their driver's license, compare that to registration
papers in the glove box, and if they don't match, guess what you're SUPPOSED
to do?

DEPUTY FIFE, ASAP! Don't make a lot of sense, but it's the way I do it.
But then, at times, I don't make a lot of sense, as you know.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote

A guy I worked with had a childhood story.

He was near an electric fence, and a kitten was nearby. He decided to see
what the electric fence would do to the kitten. He picked up the kitten,
and touched its nose to the fance.

He said the next thing he knew, he was laying on the ground feet from the
fence.

My immediate thought - there is justice.

Ever see that video where the guy catches the mean cat, and it clamps its
jaws on the inside of the guy's crotch, just an inch or so from Mr. Johnson
and the twins? Hooboy, that musta hurt.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Unless caught during a B&E or with a trunk full of swag, how often is
anyone actually charged with 'possession of burglars tools'? As a kid,
when I actually made money using tools, the back of the station wagon
often included multiple crowbars, bigass screwdrivers, duct tape, and
giant bolt cutters. And being a kid with out-of-county plates, I got
rousted by cops on a regular basis. None of them ever even blinked at
the contents of the vehicle. I think maybe one of them asked 'ya work
construction, huh?'. Of course, I am as pale-skinned and red-haired as
my Viking ancestors, so I may not be a representative data point. (DWB
existed even back then.)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2011 12:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got news for you. WikiHow, Wikipedia and Mythbusters are not always
right. This is one such time.

I have seen Mythbusters wrong many times. Peeing on an electric fence was
one of those times. I guess that time I peed on the electric fence and rode
the thunderbolt really didn't happen ................

I musta been wrong ...............

Steve

You were standing too close, and they explained that during the segment.
A solid stream can conduct the juice, a stream of droplets cannot.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:15:42 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 11/5/2011 12:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got news for you. WikiHow, Wikipedia and Mythbusters are not always
right. This is one such time.

I have seen Mythbusters wrong many times. Peeing on an electric fence was
one of those times. I guess that time I peed on the electric fence and rode
the thunderbolt really didn't happen ................

I musta been wrong ...............

Steve

You were standing too close, and they explained that during the segment.
A solid stream can conduct the juice, a stream of droplets cannot.

I wouldn't want to try it to prove it wouldn't!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/5/2011 12:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
I got news for you. WikiHow, Wikipedia and Mythbusters are not always
right. This is one such time.

I have seen Mythbusters wrong many times. Peeing on an electric fence was
one of those times. I guess that time I peed on the electric fence and rode
the thunderbolt really didn't happen ................

I musta been wrong ...............

Steve

You were standing too close, and they explained that during the segment.
A solid stream can conduct the juice, a stream of droplets cannot.

I wouldn't want to try it to prove it wouldn't!!!

My highschool auto shop instructor back in the sixties was
previously the service manager at a GM garage in a small Ontario town.
There was a back alley behind the shop, where the scrap bin was
located, and where they washed cars. A couple of the workers had
gotten lazy, and when they needed to take a leak , instead of heading
into the washroom, they just whizzed in the corner.In the heat of an
Ontario summer, the alley got a bit "high". Happened there was an old
lard pail lid in that corner, and when they whizzed on it, it made
enough noise he could hear it at the service desk. He grabbed an old
Model "T" ignition coil he had lying around, a battery, some wire, and
a doorbell switch, and wired the whole thing up so when he heard that
can lid ring, he just pushed the doorbell button.

Poor bugger could hardly take a leak for a week!!!