Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unlock your car with a string

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 21:41:03 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

Hi,
Many new cars does not have that knob to pull.
We have family menbership for AMA(AAA counter part up here)
One phone call does it all. Jump boosting. unlocking a door, changing a
flat tire, towing,etc. Family rate is 92.00 per year. I think it is
wortth money. I works out of province too thru an affiliates.

$92 per year, when you could get a spare key made for $1.92 to put in
your wallet and it will last the lifetime of your car.......
Some people just dont get it!!!!

Of course if they help with other things such as flat tire, towing,
etc. then it's not a bad deal....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 07:11:54 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Nov 2, 4:50*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've been asked, many times, to sell people lock picks. "in
case they get locked out of thier car". I used to spend a
lot of time explaining. Now, I reccomend a spare key to be
ground, and put in the wallet or coat pocket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

news
Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. *Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. Guy
sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? I locked mine in hte
cab". No go, locksmith showed up finally. I showed him my spare in
the billfold.

Harry K

Some people just dont understand.....
Spare car door key goes in wallet. spare ignition key goes inside of
car in a hidden place, and includes a spare key for your garage.
Inside your garage, there should be a hidden spare key for your house.
If you have trouble remembering stuff, put a note in your wallet
telling you where all these keys are located, but write it in a code
that another person wont understand, if your wallet is lost or stolen.

The only problem now, is where to hide the key for your wallet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 4:25*pm, wrote:
Some people just dont understand.....
Spare car door key goes in wallet. *spare ignition key goes inside of
car in a hidden place, and includes a spare key for your garage.

Talk about "don't understand..."

Most cars only have one key that operates both the door and the
ignition. I haven't had a 2-key car since the 1988 Chevy.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 2, 4:56*pm, wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:25*pm, wrote:

Some people just dont understand.....
Spare car door key goes in wallet. *spare ignition key goes inside of
car in a hidden place, and includes a spare key for your garage.

Talk about "don't understand..."

Most cars only have one key that operates both the door and the
ignition. I haven't had a 2-key car since the 1988 Chevy.

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the door and
ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:

One vehicle I have will not let me lock if the key is still in the
ignition switch. The other vehicle I have a extra key in my billfold
that will let me unlock the door. WW

Mine chimes at me, and that's enough to get me to put the keys in my mouth.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 2:10 PM, Ron wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:56 pm, wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:25 pm, wrote:

Some people just dont understand.....
Spare car door key goes in wallet. spare ignition key goes inside of
car in a hidden place, and includes a spare key for your garage.

Talk about "don't understand..."

Most cars only have one key that operates both the door and the
ignition. I haven't had a 2-key car since the 1988 Chevy.

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the door and
ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.

my 96 vette has 2 different keys: one for the door, one for the
ignition. a 95 zr1 has 3 different keys: one for the door, one for the
ignition, and one to turn on the extra bank of injectors. you don't give
the last one to the valet...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Nov 2, 2:29 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Metspitzer wrote
:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for
him the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver
side and broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace
windshield
instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

For a professional auto glass installer, 95% of the time the
windshield is the easiest and quickest piece of glass to replace.

And how does it compare cost-wise?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 13:29:05 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace windshield
instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

I did mention NASCAR Were you not paying attention?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 5:16 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
WW wrote:

One vehicle I have will not let me lock if the key is still in the
ignition switch. The other vehicle I have a extra key in my billfold
that will let me unlock the door. WW

Mine chimes at me, and that's enough to get me to put the keys in my mouth.

Jon

I have a friend that has an Altima with electronic key fob. If the key
fob is left in the car, even in the trunk, you can't lock the car,
nohow, not even with another key fob. I can see it now, a problem in
the electronics module in the car, might not let you lock your car.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 2, 6:09*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 13:29:05 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. *Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. *The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. *The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. *Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. *He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace windshield
instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

I did mention NASCAR * *Were you not paying attention?

Yeah, and the infield part just makes matters worse....especially the
infield at Dega.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 2, 5:57*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Ron wrote:
[...]

In most cases the windshield is going to be more expensive than a door
glass or quarter glass. A big back glass is usually the most expensive
piece of glass to replace. Just depends on what kind of car it is and
how old it is. The markup on windshields by most companies (especially
Safelite that makes most of their own windshields) is around 200%!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 07:11:54 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

Â*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

news
Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. Â*Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. Guy
sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? I locked mine in hte
cab". No go, locksmith showed up finally. I showed him my spare in
the billfold.

Harry K

The key for my Dad's old '66 ChevyVan would open and start half a
dozen company trucks (which could not open his) and quite a few other
GM vehicles in the lot. Must have been equivalent to a "master key".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 14:10, Ron wrote:

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the door and
ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.

In the 70s and 80s GM cars used one key for the ignition and another for
everything else. They claimed production efficiency by shipping the
steering column assemblies complete with keys to the plant where the
rest of the car was assembled.

Otherwise the rationale was that you left only the ignition/door key
with a valet and your trunk and glove compartment were "safe."

Posted to alt.home.repair

GM was square key for doors and ign until about 1975, and
then the igniton was separate from rest of the car.

Might have been 1976.

I liked the square key being doors and ign, made sense to
me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob" wrote in message
On 11/2/2011 14:10, Ron wrote:

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the
door and
ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.

In the 70s and 80s GM cars used one key for the ignition and
another for
everything else. They claimed production efficiency by
shipping the
steering column assemblies complete with keys to the plant
where the
rest of the car was assembled.

Otherwise the rationale was that you left only the
ignition/door key
with a valet and your trunk and glove compartment were
"safe."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Who can tell? I wasn't there to measure the keys, and such.
I've heard assorted stories about car master keys.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

The key for my Dad's old '66 ChevyVan would open and start
half a
dozen company trucks (which could not open his) and quite a
few other
GM vehicles in the lot. Must have been equivalent to a
"master key".

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Nov 2, 9:02*pm, Bob wrote:
On 11/2/2011 14:10, Ron wrote:

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the door and
ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.

In the 70s and 80s GM cars used one key for the ignition and another for
everything else. *They claimed production efficiency by shipping the
steering column assemblies complete with keys to the plant where the
rest of the car was assembled.

Otherwise the rationale was that you left only the ignition/door key
with a valet and your trunk and glove compartment were "safe."

Well I guess I'm misremembering then. I could of have sworn that all
of the GM cars that I owned in the 70's had 2 keys. One key for the
door and ignition (square head) and another key for the trunk and
glove box (round head). I didn't own any domestic cars in the 80s or
90s. It was either Toyota or Honda. I've just recently (for the first
time since 1983) bought a domestic vehicle, a Chevy. And, of course it
had a problem with only 40,000 miles on it! Defective plug wires from
the factory which resulted in one of the spark plugs going bad. Have
to give GM credit though, they replaced the wires and plug for free
under what is called their "Special Coverage Adjustment".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 19:57:54 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

In article ,
WW wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
. ..
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

One vehicle I have will not let me lock if the key is still in the ignition
switch. The other vehicle I have a extra key in my billfold that will let me
unlock the door. WW

If my memory serves me, it was my 1964 Dodge Dart that had a foolproof
lock setup. The only wa to lock the doors was with the key, from outside.
A little less convenient, but there was absolutely no way to lock your
keys inside.

If I remember correctly could also be done by locking from inside
and holding the handle up when closing??? At least one of my old cars
worked that way. Used to keep a spare key on the air filter stud under
the hood (inside the air filter) that would open the doors. Kept spare
ignition key hidden inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 9:02 PM, Bob wrote:
On 11/2/2011 14:10, Ron wrote:

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the door and
ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.

In the 70s and 80s GM cars used one key for the ignition and another for
everything else. They claimed production efficiency by shipping the
steering column assemblies complete with keys to the plant where the
rest of the car was assembled.

Otherwise the rationale was that you left only the ignition/door key
with a valet and your trunk and glove compartment were "safe."

Through sometime in the 70s at least, Ford went both ways- most cars had
a square key for ignition, and round for the rest. But if car was
ordered as a fleet special, the square key worked everything.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:10:32 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Nov 2, 4:56Â*pm, wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:25Â*pm, wrote:

Some people just dont understand.....
Spare car door key goes in wallet. Â*spare ignition key goes inside of
car in a hidden place, and includes a spare key for your garage.

Talk about "don't understand..."

Most cars only have one key that operates both the door and the
ignition. I haven't had a 2-key car since the 1988 Chevy.

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the door and
ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.

Just about EVERY car today with a "chip key" can have a "non chipped"
key made that will open the car but NOT allow you to drive it. Keep
one of those "cheapies" in your wallet, or hidden elsewhere, in case
you lock you "chip key" in the car. Doesn't help much if you LOOSE
that "chip key" though, like dropping it down a storm drain, or off
the dock - - - - .
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

news
Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. Â Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. Guy
sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? I locked mine in hte
cab". No go, locksmith showed up finally. I showed him my spare in
the billfold.

Harry K

The key for my Dad's old '66 ChevyVan would open and start half a
dozen company trucks (which could not open his) and quite a few other
GM vehicles in the lot. Must have been equivalent to a "master key".

Dirty little secret for many years- there simply were not that many
different keys in use. There were 2 generations of pre-chip square-head
Ford double-sided keys, short, then long. Within each generation, if you
had a couple dozen keys, odds are one would be close enough to work. Had
a couple instances of that with Fords I had, and friend's family's Ford
products. Pre-chip, GM had 8 or 9 different groove patterns on their
blanks, ID'd by a letter on the blank. Each year would start with the
next letter. Dunno about Chrysler. AMC probably went with whoever's
steering columns they used that year.

Most junkyards kept a bucket of pulled keys, so kids would not walk off
with them. DAMHIKT. Not sure where my collection went.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

On Nov 2, 4:56*pm, wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:25*pm, wrote:

Some people just dont understand.....
Spare car door key goes in wallet. *spare ignition key goes inside of
car in a hidden place, and includes a spare key for your garage.

Talk about "don't understand..."

Most cars only have one key that operates both the door and the
ignition. I haven't had a 2-key car since the 1988 Chevy.

I've never owned a car that had a different key for the door and
ignition. Different key for the trunk on a few cars.

*Just about EVERY car today with a "chip key" can have a "non chipped"
key made that will open the car but NOT allow you to drive it. Keep
one of those "cheapies" in your wallet, or hidden elsewhere, in case
you lock you "chip key" in the car. Doesn't help much if you LOOSE
that "chip key" though, like dropping it down a storm drain, or off
the dock - - - - .

I always make sure my keys are firmly in my hand while exiting my
vehicles and then put deep into my pants/shorts pocket.

Years ago I locked my keys in my car but was able to open it with a
clothes hanger. I have NEVER lost my car keys....now my wallet is a
different story. Seems like losing my wallet was always connected to
drinking for some reason G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 20:29:11 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

One vehicle I have will not let me lock if the key is still in the ignition
switch.

My Toyota was like that, but the beeping when I had the door open and
the key in the ignition (and the radio on iirc) drove me crazy, and
since I couldn't find the beeper, I disconnected the key switch.

Now I'm on my own.

The other vehicle I have a extra key in my billfold that will let me
unlock the door. WW

I should do that. Do they still sell the "credit card" like things
that fold out two keys?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 13:29:05 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace windshield
instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

And the vent window is even smaller. Sometimes you can force them
open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace
windshield instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

Why would someone break a window when a coat hanger will get you in?
Idiots.

Me suspects altered states of consciousness ..................... ?

Should we acknowledge you as the resident expert on this?

No Comnent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:
On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 13:29:05 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
m:

This seems to have a very low probably of working. Anyone ever done
it?

http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Your-Car-with-String

I was at Atlanta raceway one weekend in the infield. The driver of a
new Camaro had locked his keys in the car. The guy was trying to
break the windshield with a large rock to get the keys. Lucky for him
the windshield wouldn't break. He went around to the driver side and
broke the drivers' window.

SHEESH! WHY would someone break an expensive and hard to replace windshield
instead of the easier and less expensive side window?
Idiots.

And the vent window is even smaller. Sometimes you can force them
open.

I don't believe a Camaro has had a true, operable vent window since 1967.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 08:39:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

http://www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Locked-Car-With-a-Mobile

This one was debunked, on a couple of web sites. Doesn't
pass the common sense test. So, a car remote (that puts out
low power radio frequency electro magnetic waves) is
expected to open a car, by going through a cell phone (that
transmits sound waves, not RF).

I don't know if the above works but a cell phone does not
transmit sound waves. It transmits RF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2011 7:12 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 11/1/2011 6:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The Camaro guy ought have called a locksmith.

The web page does have a video of a guy doing just exactly
this. Must work in some cases.

In the video the lock button is clearly made with a groove around it for
the string to grab it so easily. I don't recall last time I saw a lock
like that, that's why they stopped using the old type lock buttons with
a larger top in the first place. It may work at times, but not all the
time.

One time at an old train station my boss was renting part of the
building and someone parked in our clearly marked parking spot. The
plastic lock "buttons" were very smooth and more narrow towards the top.
I got a hanger, bent a small hook in it, and ground it to make a sharp
barb. The barb stuck in the plastic and allowed me to unlock it. Stick
shift, locked steering, I rolled it out into the middle of the parking
lot almost blocking a lot of cars. Too bad I didn't get to see the guys
expression when he got off the train and saw his car. ;-)

When people blocked the front of my building or driveway, I couldn't do
any damage to their cars like flatten a tire, key it, etc because my cop
buddy told me it would be a crime regardless of what the incandescent
anus had done. So I started covering their tags with duck tape which
caused no damage to their car but did real damage to their driving
record and wallet. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lets see. I'll hold my FRS walkie talkie antenna next to
your cell phone. You dial your friend and have him put his
cell phone next to my other FRS walkie talkie. I'll talk
into my FRS, your cell phone will transmit the RF to the
other cell phone, and the voice will come out of my other
FRS walkie talkie.

Does your cell phone transmit RF, or sound?

My cell phone transmits sound. I speak (sound) into the
microphone, and sound is transmitted to the other phone.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

This one was debunked, on a couple of web sites. Doesn't
pass the common sense test. So, a car remote (that puts
out
low power radio frequency electro magnetic waves) is
expected to open a car, by going through a cell phone (that
transmits sound waves, not RF).

I don't know if the above works but a cell phone does not
transmit sound waves. It transmits RF.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

news
Just carry a cordless drill with a 1 inck bit, and a stick
of dynamite
in your wallet. Drill a hole in any door, inset the
dynamite, light
it, and the door will come off in seconds.

Seriously, carry a spare key in your wallet....

I pulled into the lot where I was cutting wood a few years ago. Guy
sitting at the entrance "can I tryi your key? I locked mine in hte
cab". No go, locksmith showed up finally. I showed him my spare in
the billfold.

Harry K

I have a key loop on my belt with extra vehicle keys on it on different
rings. when I'm working and get distracted to the point I lock my keys
in the van, I reach for my belt and unlock the van without skipping a
beat. I told my goofy roommate to put a house key on a string around his
neck because he's always losing it. I very rarely lose a key. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 2:57 PM, Larry W wrote:
In om,
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Darn, I loved those old Dart/Valiant cars. So simple and bullet proof
made the cars hard to kill. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 18:49:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Lets see. I'll hold my FRS walkie talkie antenna next to
your cell phone. You dial your friend and have him put his
cell phone next to my other FRS walkie talkie. I'll talk
into my FRS, your cell phone will transmit the RF to the
other cell phone, and the voice will come out of my other
FRS walkie talkie.

Grasping for straws? Changing direction? Your post concerns
whether a cell phone can be used to operate a remote unlock
receiver on a car. I will stay on topic.

Does your cell phone transmit RF, or sound?

My cell phone transmits sound. I speak (sound) into the
microphone, and sound is transmitted to the other phone.

In the context of your original statement: " by going through a cell
phone (that transmits sound waves, not RF)." The following is true:

The cell phone transmits by using RF, not sound. Otherwise we could
make long distance calls by just carrying large audio amps around. In
order for any distance to be achieved the sound has to piggyback a
ride on a RF signal. Then the RF form is transmitted. Upon arrival the
sound is extracted from the RF form.

Mythbusters failed when it came to debunking the cell phone trick.
If they would of thought out of the box they would never have claimed
that a cell phone could not unlock a car.

I'm not going to go into any great detail here but this trick can
happen because of these factors.

A.The remote induces a RF signal into the cell phone circuitry
bypassing the normal microphone element. (think out of the box)

B.The unwanted remote RF with modulation can mix with the normal
signal in the phone. Thus being transmitted.

C.Even though the radio frequency from the phone is different than
that from the remote the harmonics from the phone can have enough
signal strength and intelligence to activate the receiver on the car.

Mythbusters is a great show but they only used one configuration of
cell phones and one configuration of a remote. The ability of this
trick depends on many variables to do with the phones and the remote.
Mythbusters used no variables. They failed at myth busting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm guessing people mistake you for a custodian, now and
again?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message ...

I have a key loop on my belt with extra vehicle keys on it
on different
rings. when I'm working and get distracted to the point I
lock my keys
in the van, I reach for my belt and unlock the van without
skipping a
beat. I told my goofy roommate to put a house key on a
string around his
neck because he's always losing it. I very rarely lose a
key. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine was a 1974, the first year with electronic igniton.
Would not run when it was wet. Sometimes it would fire right
up, drive to the store, and it would refuse to take me home.
I've cursed more at that car than the years before or since.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
One vehicle I have will not let me lock if the key is
still in the ignition
switch. The other vehicle I have a extra key in my
billfold that will let me
unlock the door. WW

If my memory serves me, it was my 1964 Dodge Dart that had
a foolproof
lock setup. The only wa to lock the doors was with the
key, from outside.
A little less convenient, but there was absolutely no way
to lock your
keys inside.

Darn, I loved those old Dart/Valiant cars. So simple and
bullet proof
made the cars hard to kill. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

You obviously didn't read the article on the web, and you're
really off in space.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Lets see. I'll hold my FRS walkie talkie antenna next to
your cell phone. You dial your friend and have him put his
cell phone next to my other FRS walkie talkie. I'll talk
into my FRS, your cell phone will transmit the RF to the
other cell phone, and the voice will come out of my other
FRS walkie talkie.

Grasping for straws? Changing direction? Your post concerns
whether a cell phone can be used to operate a remote unlock
receiver on a car. I will stay on topic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 22:48:34 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You obviously didn't read the article on the web, and you're
really off in space.

You obviously can read but unfortunately you believe everything you
read.

I got news for you. WikiHow, Wikipedia and Mythbusters are not always
right. This is one such time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 22:47:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Mine was a 1974, the first year with electronic igniton.
Would not run when it was wet. Sometimes it would fire right
up, drive to the store, and it would refuse to take me home.
I've cursed more at that car than the years before or since.

All you needed was some good wires. I ran "silver beauty MSW" wires
on my '63 170, '69 225, and '74 225 and NEVER had moisture problems. I
could drive it into the carwash, hose it down, and drive back out
without ever missing a beat. I always kept a second balast resistor on
the firewall of the '74.

Never had ANY starting problems other than the resistor on the '74.
Burned out a starter on the '69, and it didn't start very well at -45F
with 20W50 oil in it. The '63 (206 rwhp) ate plugs for lunch untill I
latched onto Nippondenso plugs (ep25r I think? colder than a rock). As
long as the plugs were good that little rascal would start and go like
jack the bear.

Good wires on the 265 inch flathead in the '57 Fargo meant it NEVER
gave any trouble starting, and nor did the '53 241 red ram Coronet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, the BIGGEST problem WAS the ground on the IGNITION
module, which was case GROUND. We were used to POINTS
ignition, and so we didn't know that the MODULE had to be
wire brushed and SOMETIMES installed in a DIFFERENT spot.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus