Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Unlock your car with a string

On Nov 2, 11:30*am, N8N wrote:

Well, generally the windshield is the most expensive piece of glass on
any car, and the hardest to replace (at least on a late model car, as
they're typically all glued in now.) *On a car with a large glass
hatch, I suppose that might be more expensive, but still. *Oh, and how
are you gonna drive home with a bigass hole in the windshield, unless
you happen to have a pair of goggles in the glovebox? *seriously.

If you're gonna bust something, bust a door window or quarter window
(assuming the latter is the gasketed type.) *Also those will shatter
cleanly and not spiderweb but stay in place like a windshield.

There is nothing hard about replacing a windshield if you know what
you are doing. When I was in the glass business I could replace most
windshields in 20 minutes or less. And not much has changed since I
quit the glass business in '02. If anything a lot windshields are
even easier to replace on cars produced since I got out of the
business, because they are flush mounted in urethane w/o any moldings
to remove. I look at cars these days and think to myself how easy
todays auto glass installers have it.

Door glasses are very time consuming to replace. You have to remove
the door panel, clean out all of the glass in the door including the
frame if the vehicle has one, install the new glass which sometimes
has a bunch of attachments, make sure it rolls up correctly, put the
door panel back on, and then vacuum up the mess inside of the car.

AFA vehicles with a rubber set quarter glass, those were pretty much
done away by the late 80's mid 90's. Off of the top of my head the
full size Ford Broncos, Chevy Suburbans, Isuzu Troopers, Jeep
Cherokees and other SUVs (if that's want you wanna call them) were
about the only vehicles that still had rubber set quarter glasses
going into the 90's. Replacing a quarter glass on a lot of "older"
vehicles is also a pain in ass if you have to remove any of the
interior. A lot quarter glasses today are a piece of cake because they
are flush mounted and set in urethane. Again, todays auto glass
installers have it easy.

The bottom line is, Camaro boy is a moron. First of all for trying to
break the windshield, and second of all for not knowing that it's a
laminated piece of glass. I can't believe that if he was trying to
break the windshield with a "big rock" that he didn't at least break
the outer layer of glass.

A tip, if you ever have to break a piece of glass on your vehicle to
get in, call Safelite Autoglass (you can reach someone 24/7) and ask
them what the least expensive piece of glass is to replace. Sometimes
the smallest piece of glass isn't always the least expensive to
replace.