Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do I keep expecting the borgs to satisfy me?

As part of my shed wiring project, I was looking at choices for
weatherproof boxes for my receptacles and cable TV jack. I wanted
boxes that weren't so obtrusive - I didn't want to mount those grey
weatherproof boxes that Home Depot and Lowes carry on the exterior
wall, I wanted something with less of a profile.

I found this on the web, which is perfect since my wires come up
inside the shed and the only part of the box that is exposed is the
cover and flange. Easy installation inside and low profile outside -
the best of both worlds.

http://www.munroelectric.com/prdimag...s/00897735.jpg

So I took the picture to both Home Depot and Lowes and not only didn't
they carry anything like that, they didn't know where to get them. I
stopped at an Aubuchon Hardware while on a road trip last weekend and
they didn't carry them either. (Aubuchon Hardware is a chain of about
130 hardware stores spread throughout the northeast.

Yesterday I went to a local lighting design center that has a
"contractor's counter" in the back. I showed the counter guy the
picture and he immediately asked "New work or old, white cover or
clear?"

$20 later and I was back in my car with 2 boxes so I can complete the
project this weekend.

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:c0e0700e-e83d-4b25-aecb-
:

[...]

I give up. Tell us why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:15:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Your expectations are set to high?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Your expectations are set to high?- Hide quoted text -

That's probably it. I'll work on lowering them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The "borg" supplies crap to homeowners and "handymen" who
aren't professional builders...

Professional builders and tradesmen know where to go in any
given area to a real supply house to get (wait for it) supplies...

Useful supplies, not the common consumer crap in five flavors
that the "borg" gets a deal on to stock from the manufacturer...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

Except that lot's of "professionals" shop at the borgs, perhaps out of
convenience. Are all of those pickup trucks and trailers with signs on
the side in the HD parking lot just "handymen" and homeowners?

The "contractor counters" that I spoke of are few and far between in a
lot of areas. In fact, the one I went to used to have a location right
down the block from the borg, within a couple of miles of my home.
Blame it on the economy or whatever, but they consolidated their 2
locations to the one that is inconvenient for me to get to. When I
first moved in and was doing a lot more upgrading, I went to the
"counter" more often than not. If they were closer to me, I'd have
gone there first this time, but as it is their limited hours and
location make the borgs much more convenient - until I need something
"special".

Trust me, I know all about the supply houses - bought all of my
windows and doors at a Norandex Reynolds location and most most of my
plumbing supplies come from the counter in the back of a bath and
kitchen design center. However, just like the electrical parts
counter, none of these locations are very convenient to get to when I
need one or two of this or that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:1q1c8790qv17rq9i4vqud1riif9u3l77s5@
4ax.com:

wrote:

[...]

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

For the same reason a slots player keeps putting the nickel in the one-armed
bandit, because sometimes you get a good payday that leaves you walking
tall, and makes you forget about all the other times you were sold an
overpriced cheap piece of Chinese plastic that never really worked right.

It's what they count on, and it's what keeps the money flowing in the front
door.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:05:09 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

Your expectations are set to high?

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

There ought to be an App for that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd like you to lower expectations. But, I'll probably be
disappointed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Your expectations are set to high?- Hide quoted text -

That's probably it. I'll work on lowering them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good one! Best I've heard in ages.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

There ought to be an App for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

Your expectations are set to high?

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

There ought to be an App for that.

There is one but it's pretty disappointing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

Because someday Lucy really will hold the football so Charlie Brown
can kick it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:12:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Except that lot's of "professionals" shop at the borgs, perhaps out of
convenience. Are all of those pickup trucks and trailers with signs on
the side in the HD parking lot just "handymen" and homeowners?

Nope, quite a few are small tradesmen, a couple might be small
g.c.'s, Borgs locate near homes. Tradesmen work on homes.
Tradesmen often need a couple of connectors, or a vent cover, or a
box of sandpaper. Borgs are convenient for that.

. However, just like the electrical parts
counter, none of these locations are very convenient to get to when I
need one or two of this or that.

The buildiing suppliers locate in industrial areas where land is a
little cheaper. They seldom have more than a couple of pickups in
their parking lot. Builders phone, fax or email their orders in,
the supplier delivers on site, the builder cuts a cheque every month.

I'm probably fairly typical, My spending at Borgs amounts to
something like six or seven percent of my spending on materials and
supplies.

Ken

EXACTLY..Both have their place...Home Depot has saved my butt more than once
on the weekend or evening but I get "special" stuff like my new windows at
the the window and door place in the industrial park...As to your comment
about why you keep going to the so called borg , which you seem to have such
disdain for , and expecting to have your hand held and finding stuff only
pros usually need..The following quote comes to mind...The defination of
insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different
result each time....LOL...Or it could just be time for the monthly bash big
boxes thread...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Except that lot's of "professionals" shop at the borgs, perhaps out of
convenience. Are all of those pickup trucks and trailers with signs on
the side in the HD parking lot just "handymen" and homeowners?

Nope, *quite a few are small tradesmen, a couple might be small
g.c.'s, * *Borgs locate near homes. * Tradesmen work on homes.
Tradesmen often need a couple of connectors, or a vent cover, or a
box of sandpaper. *Borgs are convenient for that.

It was a rhetorical question in response to "The "borg" supplies crap
to homeowners and "handymen" who
aren't professional builders... "

. However, just like the electrical parts
counter, none of these locations are very convenient to get to when I
need one or two of this or that.

The buildiing suppliers locate in industrial areas where land is a
little cheaper. * *They seldom have more than a couple of pickups in
their parking lot. * Builders phone, fax or email their orders in,
the supplier delivers on site, *the builder cuts a cheque every month.

Not in all cases. My favorite plumbing supply and my favorite
electrical supply counters are in the back of design centers in high
end shopping plazas. Always lots of pick-up and panel trucks parked
out back and lot's of contractors inside. Both supply houses have rear
lots and entrances so the counter-customers don't have to walk through
the design centers.

I'm *probably fairly typical, *My spending at Borgs *amounts *to
something like six or seven percent of my spending on materials and
supplies.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Where did I say I expected to have my hand held at the borg? Was it
just because I *asked* if they carried anything like the in-wall box I
wanted?

When I want my hand held, I go to the supply houses where they not
only carry what I need but often offer suggestions to make the project
easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:39:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

Except that lot's of "professionals" shop at the borgs, perhaps out of
convenience. Are all of those pickup trucks and trailers with signs on
the side in the HD parking lot just "handymen" and homeowners?

Nope, Â*quite a few are small tradesmen, a couple might be small
g.c.'s, Â* Â*Borgs locate near homes. Â* Tradesmen work on homes.
Tradesmen often need a couple of connectors, or a vent cover, or a
box of sandpaper. Â*Borgs are convenient for that.

. However, just like the electrical parts
counter, none of these locations are very convenient to get to when I
need one or two of this or that.

The buildiing suppliers locate in industrial areas where land is a
little cheaper. Â* Â*They seldom have more than a couple of pickups in
their parking lot. Â* Builders phone, fax or email their orders in,
the supplier delivers on site, Â*the builder cuts a cheque every month.

I'm Â*probably fairly typical, Â*My spending at Borgs Â*amounts Â*to
[...]

Instead of arguing with me, telling me I need Cat5E cable to connect
a digital phone (Nortel Northstar) when all 28 extentions in the
building were connected with single twisted pair cable, and I was just
re-locating one. Like the joker at the Borg. I finally just asked
"are you going to sell me the wire I asked for, or do I have to drive
across town to buy it?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No Derby , but I've been around here long enough to see so many of your "big
box rants" I've lost count...Just be honest and say I need my therapy "big
box rant"...We've played this game too many times...LOL...Carry on , I'll be
quiet...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It is called a bell curve. The Borg, like other mass-market retailers,
carry most of the items in some middle slice of the bell curve, and very
little from the end part of the curves. They base it on available
floor/shelf space, and what moves and how fast. People get college
degrees in figuring out this stuff. That is why, when the Borg open a
new location, after the first 90-120 days, the mix of stuff on sale
usually changes. They are fine-tuning it based on the local market.

A supply house, on the other hand, HAS to cater to the oddball stuff, or
risk losing repeat business from tradesmen. They will either have it in
stock (at least a few of them), or have a supply chain where they can
get it quickly. And since the back room is not open to the public, they
don't have to worry about wide aisles and displaying for self-service
selection. They can dense-pack in bins and stacks of boxes, and go
directly to the pick location based on the location their cheat sheet
(or these days a computer) tells them to go to. 80/20 rule applies- 80%
of sales will be the same 20% of items, so for those they keep a good
stock on hand, and keep them easy to find.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You really should proof people to see if they
are over 40 before they open that post.

Ask them if they know who the Beatles are..... skate
keys..... wax bottles.... 33 LP.....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

Because someday Lucy really will hold
the football so Charlie Brown can kick it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/11 07:50 am, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You really should proof people to see if they
are over 40 before they open that post.

Ask them if they know who the Beatles are..... skate
keys..... wax bottles.... 33 LP.....

I prefer my LPs to run at 33 1/3 RPM, not just 33. But maybe life is
slower in Utah?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

We're saving energy and saving the planet, by conserving.
New federal guidelines, you know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 10/01/11 07:50 am, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You really should proof people to see if they
are over 40 before they open that post.

Ask them if they know who the Beatles are..... skate
keys..... wax bottles.... 33 LP.....

I prefer my LPs to run at 33 1/3 RPM, not just 33. But maybe
life is
slower in Utah?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

.

[...]

Hey, this is the Internet. Responses don't have to relate to the original
post :-)

When I want my hand held, I go to the supply houses where they not
only carry what I need but often offer suggestions to make the project
easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

Your expectations are set to high?

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

There ought to be an App for that.

There is one but it's pretty disappointing.

Your expectations are too high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

When Lowes bought Eagle here in Seattle, 3 times in a row that I went there
looking for parts I knew Eagle had had, I finally found what I wanted in the
"closeout" area. Lowes only wanted to carry the profitable things, not the
things people might really need to keep things going. If it's not high volume,
they don't carry it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 11:12:32 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:06:15 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

Your expectations are set to high?

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

There ought to be an App for that.

There is one but it's pretty disappointing.

Your expectations are too high.

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

I expected you'd say that.

The correct reply is, "There ought to be an App for that.".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:06:15 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

Your expectations are set to high?

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

There ought to be an App for that.

There is one but it's pretty disappointing.

Your expectations are too high.

Incorrect. Problem is he has expectations.

I expected you'd say that.

The correct reply is, "There ought to be an App for that.".

"There is one but it's pretty disappointing."

I think he's got it!