Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Why do I keep expecting the borgs to satisfy me?

On Sep 30, 2:48*pm, Evan wrote:
On Sep 30, 2:33*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sep 30, 2:16*pm, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:15:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
As part of my shed wiring project, I was looking at choices for
weatherproof boxes for my receptacles and cable TV jack. I wanted
boxes that weren't so obtrusive - I didn't want to mount those grey
weatherproof boxes that Home Depot and Lowes carry on the exterior
wall, I wanted something with less of a profile.

I found this on the web, which is perfect since my wires come up
inside the shed and the only part of the box that is exposed is the
cover and flange. Easy installation inside and low profile outside -
the best of both worlds.

http://www.munroelectric.com/prdimag...s/00897735.jpg

So I took the picture to both Home Depot and Lowes and not only didn't
they carry anything like that, they didn't know where to get them. I
stopped at an Aubuchon Hardware while on a road trip last weekend and
they didn't carry them either. (Aubuchon Hardware is a chain of about
130 hardware stores spread throughout the northeast.

Yesterday I went to a local lighting design center that has a
"contractor's counter" in the back. I showed the counter guy the
picture and he immediately asked "New work or old, white cover or
clear?"

$20 later and I was back in my car with 2 boxes so I can complete the
project this weekend.

Why do I keep expecting the borgs to carry what I need?

Your expectations are set to high?- Hide quoted text -

That's probably it. I'll work on lowering them.

The "borg" supplies crap to homeowners and "handymen" who
aren't professional builders...

Professional builders and tradesmen know where to go in any
given area to a real supply house to get (wait for it) supplies...

Useful supplies, not the common consumer crap in five flavors
that the "borg" gets a deal on to stock from the manufacturer...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

Except that lot's of "professionals" shop at the borgs, perhaps out of
convenience. Are all of those pickup trucks and trailers with signs on
the side in the HD parking lot just "handymen" and homeowners?

The "contractor counters" that I spoke of are few and far between in a
lot of areas. In fact, the one I went to used to have a location right
down the block from the borg, within a couple of miles of my home.
Blame it on the economy or whatever, but they consolidated their 2
locations to the one that is inconvenient for me to get to. When I
first moved in and was doing a lot more upgrading, I went to the
"counter" more often than not. If they were closer to me, I'd have
gone there first this time, but as it is their limited hours and
location make the borgs much more convenient - until I need something
"special".

Trust me, I know all about the supply houses - bought all of my
windows and doors at a Norandex Reynolds location and most most of my
plumbing supplies come from the counter in the back of a bath and
kitchen design center. However, just like the electrical parts
counter, none of these locations are very convenient to get to when I
need one or two of this or that.