Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FIOS Telephone connection

I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Waller wrote:

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the
phone service activated. How does the telephone line get connected
to the FIOS device in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another
three weeks. The alarm company needs a working phone line to test
the system.

You need to go to dslreports.com, to the verizon telco forum and post
your question there.

There are several verizon sub-forums. This one is probably on-topic for
you:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

There is also a direct support forum:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

You need to sign up to dslreports to post to either forum. To use the
direct support forum, you have to give the name, address, phone number
of the location you have an issue with, and a verizon tech will deal
with the issue (you and the tech will be the only ones able to read your
support thread).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2011 10:07 AM, Bill Waller wrote:
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

Verizon will install an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) on the premises
which terminates the optical fiber coming from the pole. The ONT has
standard RJ-11 jacks, the type used for all normal analog phones,
answering machines, etc. The Verizon folks will connect the RJ-11 to the
existing copper wiring on the premises, most likely using the same
grounding and terminal block which was there originally.

Google "FIOS ONT" to get some better understanding of how it is
installed and connected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2011 10:07 AM, Bill Waller wrote:
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

Some photos:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...iw=800&bih=317

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2011 10:07 AM, Bill Waller wrote:
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

They terminate the fiber in a box that has the 3 connectors (phone,
CATV, Ethernet) necessary for the services they provide. They plug a
cable into the phone jack and connect it to the existing phone wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 10:07*am, Bill Waller wrote:
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

There are alarm companies that use cell service, either primary or
back up.

if you dont need internet or tv skip the phone service completely
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:07:42 -0400, Bill Waller
wrote:

I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated.

Didn't they have to come to the house to do the first two things? Do
they want to charge more to connect the phone!!??

If they didn't do it while they were there, they should come back for
free.

How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:40:17 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 12:58:44 -0400, micky
wrote:

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated.

Didn't they have to come to the house to do the first two things? Do
they want to charge more to connect the phone!!??

If they didn't do it while they were there, they should come back for
free.

They might want more if they have to run interior station wire from
the FIOS box to the existing phone line. Telcos used to do all this
for free but these days they are like the airlines. Everything is
extra.

Sure.

OTOH doesn't FIOS turn into a normal modular phone jack (RJ-11?), by
the time itgets inside the house? It's got to do that eventually or
every phone would need a special connector.

I"m looking at the pictures Smarty pointed to
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...iw=800&bih=317
and it seems like there's a box outside the house with an RJ-11 jack.

Maybe the OP doesn't realize he is supposed to open the door to the
box and plug his house in?

Shouldn't Verizon have done that for him. When for the sake of
testing my house wring, they put in an exterior box for me 10 years
ago, with my regular copper wire, they put a modular plug on the wire
from my house, and plugged my house into their jack.

If I had FIOS, it would come to the same corner of the house where the
copper comes now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The FIOS Tech should have connected the existing phone line from the pole
going into the house to the ONT.

Like others have posted if they didn't they have to come back and connect
it. The tech that did mine tested the phones to make sure they were
connected.

"Bill Waller" wrote in message
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly)
for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS
device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three
weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2011 10:47 AM, George wrote:
On 9/24/2011 10:07 AM, Bill Waller wrote:
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it
mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the
FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three
weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

They terminate the fiber in a box that has the 3 connectors (phone,
CATV, Ethernet) necessary for the services they provide. They plug a
cable into the phone jack and connect it to the existing phone wiring.

Note well- you want to DISCONNECT the old copper drop at the old demarc,
assuming Verizon didn't rip it out already. The FIOS box (around here,
at least) is usually inside the house, and they back-feed the wiring in
basement, or in the phone socket closest to the computer. No biggy, just
unplug it, and tape a note to the rj11 jumper, so somebody doesn't plug
it back in.

Some areas, telco outright removes the copper service drop, to keep
people from changing their mind when the bills start rolling in.

I assume alarm company's line-seizure block would need to be next to the
FIOS box, with the house on the downstream side.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am sorry that I did not make myself clear.
The TV and Internet portion of the FIOS service has been in place for well over
a year. The phone service is new.

There are no Verizon installers/techs available. They want more money, and the
project does not have time to wait for them to settle their dispute with the
company.

The phone line has been activated. That is a software switch from the service
center. The new phone number IS active.

I was only asking where the RJ was sot that the alarm company can plug in and
test the rebuild of the security system.

I would like to thank any and all who responded. I did a little research, which
I should have done earlier, and think I have found the elusive RJ-11.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:52:15 -0400, "Cliff Hartle" wrote:

The FIOS Tech should have connected the existing phone line from the pole
going into the house to the ONT.

Like others have posted if they didn't they have to come back and connect
it. The tech that did mine tested the phones to make sure they were
connected.

"Bill Waller" wrote in message
.. .
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly)
for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS
device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three
weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Waller, 9/24/2011,8:31:45 PM, wrote:

I am sorry that I did not make myself clear.
The TV and Internet portion of the FIOS service has been in place for
well over a year. The phone service is new.

There are no Verizon installers/techs available. They want more
money, and the project does not have time to wait for them to settle
their dispute with the company.

The phone line has been activated. That is a software switch from the
service center. The new phone number IS active.

I was only asking where the RJ was sot that the alarm company can
plug in and test the rebuild of the security system.

I would like to thank any and all who responded. I did a little
research, which I should have done earlier, and think I have found
the elusive RJ-11.

I was a network technician for Verizon FiOS a few years ago. We would
get many trouble reports regarding some alarm systems not working with
the FiOS phone service for some reason. It had something to do with
internal wiring from the alarm box to the house copper wiring.
Hopefully you won't have that problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:25:15 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Some areas, telco outright removes the copper service drop [when they install FIOS], to keep
people from changing their mind when the bills start rolling in.

I believe they do that, but didn't I read here that was a violation of
a federal reg?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:31:45 -0400, Bill Waller
wrote:

I am sorry that I did not make myself clear.
The TV and Internet portion of the FIOS service has been in place for well over
a year. The phone service is new.

There are no Verizon installers/techs available. They want more money, and the
project does not have time to wait for them to settle their dispute with the
company.

The phone line has been activated. That is a software switch from the service
center. The new phone number IS active.

The phone number is active but what about the phone? Can they can use
the phone? And here the guy on the other end of the call? We
like plain English here. :-)

I was only asking where the RJ was sot that the alarm company can plug in and
test the rebuild of the security system.

I would think the alarm company would know how to do that without your
help.

I would like to thank any and all who responded. I did a little research, which
I should have done earlier, and think I have found the elusive RJ-11.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:52:15 -0400, "Cliff Hartle" wrote:

The FIOS Tech should have connected the existing phone line from the pole
going into the house to the ONT.

Like others have posted if they didn't they have to come back and connect
it. The tech that did mine tested the phones to make sure they were
connected.

"Bill Waller" wrote in message
. ..
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly)
for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS
device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three
weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

micky wrote in
:

wrote:

Some areas, telco outright removes the copper service drop [when they
install FIOS], to keep people from changing their mind when the bills
start rolling in.

I believe they do that, but didn't I read here that was a violation of
a federal reg?

When we got FiOS, switching from DSL, I made a halfhearted attempt to
have them leave the copper, but no luck. The tech installed and
connected the ONT to the fiber, took the phone line from the ONT and
connected it to my existing distribution block (whatever the thingy is
called). That has worked fine ever since, through a 3-4 extended power
outages over the years (6-8) where cell phone service remained. The TV
and internet portions were connected to existing coax and cat5,
respectively. Then the "TV guide" portion of the TV info was split off
the modem via extra coax.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

Note to any reader...check my sig block, I am a Comcast subscriber, not a
Verizon FIOS subscriber. The whole FIOS thing is foreign to me.

wrote:

I am sorry that I did not make myself clear.
The TV and Internet portion of the FIOS service has been in place for well over
a year. The phone service is new.

There are no Verizon installers/techs available. They want more money, and the
project does not have time to wait for them to settle their dispute with the
company.

The phone line has been activated. That is a software switch from the service
center. The new phone number IS active.

The phone number is active but what about the phone? Can they can use
the phone? And here the guy on the other end of the call? We
like plain English here. :-)

Did I say anything about a phone? There is NO phone. Just a phone service.
There is NO copper in the house. It was ripped out during demolition. Is that
English plain enough for you?

"here" is a place; "hear" is to with perceive a sound with the ear. Don't
criticize my English until you learn how to use the language properly,
yourself.

I was only asking where the RJ was sot that the alarm company can plug in and
test the rebuild of the security system.

I would think the alarm company would know how to do that without your
help.

I would think that as well. The problem is, if you read the original post, I am
not on site, but 300 miles away. I have to trust the general and his chosen
subs to get this job done as expeditiously as possible and when question arise,
I have to try to provide whatever information I can.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:57:29 -0400, "badgolferman"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the input. At this time, there is no internal communication wiring
in the house, with the exception of whatever Verizon installed when they put in
the TV and Internet.
All of the old telco cable (25pr) has been torn out, or so badly mangled that
it has been rendered totally useless. Part of the contract it to replace the
old cabling.

__________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was a network technician for Verizon FiOS a few years ago. *We would
get many trouble reports regarding some alarm systems not working with
the FiOS phone service for some reason. *It had something to do with
internal wiring from the alarm box to the house copper wiring.
Hopefully you won't have that problem

my experience with FIOS SUCKED, the internet part worked fine, at the
time tv wasnt available yet..

the phone part was a nightmare........

echos, noise every 12th call or so, backup battery failure in less
than 4 months they wanted to charge me for that, my box beeped alarm
for over a week, drove us nuts, verizon reps didnt know there was a
silence alarm button.......

the the service was basically unusable, verizon held me to the
contract, refused to fix the problems, the worst the unusable noisey
call every 12th call finally traced to a bad router in the CO. to get
this fixed i had to call for 3 months, finally calling every business
day for 3 weeks only to be told every time it as my interior wiring,
even though tech number 1 noted problem reproduced with home
completely disconnected....

one road tech told his supervisor the problem was a bad router at the
central office, 3 months later a network tech finally called and fixed
it within 15 minutes.

moved the number over to copper, ordered verizon to STOP SOLICITING
ME.....

good luck with that repeated reps at door, got mad they woudnt leave
me alone, so i cancelled my outgoing call plan on my business
line......

idiots cancelled my entire outgoing line completely twice.

i changed phone companies over that and hate verizon.......

this is just a overview of the troubles i had, and misses a lot.

geez all i wanted was a working phone line
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2011 8:57 AM, Bill Waller wrote:
(snip)
Thanks for the input. At this time, there is no internal communication wiring
in the house, with the exception of whatever Verizon installed when they put in
the TV and Internet.
All of the old telco cable (25pr) has been torn out, or so badly mangled that
it has been rendered totally useless. Part of the contract it to replace the
old cabling.

Wow- you had 25pr inside wiring at a residence? Was it used as a home
office or something?

If all the wiring is gone, and the walls and/or basement ceiling are
open, have the GC or alarm company's wiring sub home-run cat 6 from
every plausible room back to a punch-down block at a convenient
location, ideally near where the alarm system box is. Unless house is
huge, a single 110 block should suffice. Then have an additional
dedicated run to wherever the FIOS box is, for the incoming feed. Tell
them you want a pre-wire so whoever buys house has options open- don't
have to install the outlets or punch down the drops (other than the
line-seize box for the alarm), just have them in wall boxes in the
rooms. If you want to make the place tempting to computer geeks, put
double runs to locations where computers may be desired, in case they
want a hard-wired home network. All cables should be labeled, of course,
referring back to a diagram nailed to wall near punch-down block.

(No, I'm not a big fan of cordless phones or wi-fi. Sometimes stone-age
is best.)

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

bob haller wrote in news:1bad214c-8a37-4bd3-914c-
:

[...]

Geez!! That would put me off too!
My experiences were the opposite. Note that we were mong the first FiOS
customers here. Everything worked out fine in the end. These were my
problems:

Phone:
Indicator light for voicemail on my Panasonic phone didn't work. Couple
of phone calls and the culprit in the CO was fixed (I don't remember
whether it was board or switch setting).
Noise on the line: An old unused pair of phone wires in the basement was
shortcircuiting. Easy fix, bend them so they didn't contact.

Internet:
The FiOS router Actiontec 1424W lost its radio after 6 days. Took the
incompetent techs (2!!) a long time to fix, because they didn't know how
to reset whatever in the office to let a replacement router connect.

TV:
Noisy signals intermittently on some channels, not others. Problem with
coax connectors not seating correctly. Why this re-occurs every once in
a while is a puzzle I haven't solved yet - probably furniture moving.

Movies via internet:
We had problems with the first BluRay DVD player. Our Vizio VBR231
apparently was defective, and Vizio replaced it without charge, including
shipping both ways. Vizio customer service was absolutely EXCELLENT!!
Our TV doesn't have internet, but the Vizio works fine.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller, 9/25/2011,9:03:54 AM, wrote:

[...]

Your experience is not atypical. As an insider I got to see how the
buck gets passed continuously. The problem is with how management
places restrictions upon the customer reps and technicians. They must
meet certain metrics or get fired.

I was eligible for 20% discount on FiOS services and refused to get it.
I knew what would happen if something went wrong, especially if
something went wrong with the order which is the hardest thing to fix.

Having said all that, I will tell you the horror stories I heard from
former Comcast customers were worse.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2011 2:42 PM, badgolferman wrote:
[...]

It seems to be the inevitable result of something growing to be a mega
company. They basically become a mini version of the government.

A recently had to call a smaller cable company with a technical
question. I was actually shocked when the CS person put me through to
their engineering department. The guy actually knew the answer and
provided me with accurate helpful information. If that were comcast or
verizon it would have been multiple fruitless attempts only to be
informed that they were mega corp and you were clueless.

An example, we have verizon DSL at a remote office. Because of the line
length it is on a lower speed tier. It worked fine for years and all of
a sudden we had frequent no connectivity issues that could be cured by
rebooting the modem. After hours of troubleshooting I found they had
provisioned the modem for a higher speed than could be obtained. After
hours on the phone I found that someone internally had simply made the
decision to do that on all DSL lines. Problem is the modem has a pea
brain and after hours of trying to get to the higher speed it locks up.

Then after arriving at the reason why no one was allowed to change it
back down to a speed that would work reliably. After a bunch more calls
I reached someone who actually had the authority to do it.

I was eligible for 20% discount on FiOS services and refused to get it.
I knew what would happen if something went wrong, especially if
something went wrong with the order which is the hardest thing to fix.

Having said all that, I will tell you the horror stories I heard from
former Comcast customers were worse.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 2:42*pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
[...]

former Comcast customers were worse.....- Hide quoted text -

thankfully so far comcast works fine for me. i am saving big bucks
over dish network too. on comcast triple play although i dont need the
phone

dish raised their extra receiver fees fom 5 bucks to 17 bucks on
receivers i had bought, so they are history too........

dish the service of fees.

verizon fios was the worst customer service i have ever got on anything
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

HEAR! HEAR! (Another use for the word)

It would take a book to list the miseries we have endured from the
first time these arschlocher entered California with their FIOS and
under-trained ""techs"".

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I'll give up my local loop copper to the switch, when they pry it out of
my cold dead hands.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 10:07*am, Bill Waller wrote:
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

it may be that when fios goes in the copper phone service will not be
connected again. alarms may need copper service to dial out on in
event of a power failure that outlasts the verizon battery time.
otherwise the alarm panel may need a cellular device to call for help.
verizon offers package deals when you bundle phone and internet and
tv. they come and connect the old house indoor phone wires from the
old demark point to the new ONT box.

Versizon FIOS vs. Cable mm Electronics Repair 6 April 7th 08 07:10 PM
Main Telephone Connection Point Endulini UK diy 7 October 28th 07 10:24 AM
OT, I guess. What happens with FIOS mm Home Repair 57 September 17th 07 11:23 PM
Old Rotary Telephone Connection Kevin Electronics 1 December 23rd 05 05:09 AM
connection scheme old dial telephone felipe Electronics Repair 3 July 6th 05 07:04 PM