Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default FIOS Telephone connection

On 9/24/2011 10:47 AM, George wrote:
On 9/24/2011 10:07 AM, Bill Waller wrote:
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it
mildly) for
sale.

My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone
service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the
FIOS device
in the house?

The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three
weeks. The
alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.

They terminate the fiber in a box that has the 3 connectors (phone,
CATV, Ethernet) necessary for the services they provide. They plug a
cable into the phone jack and connect it to the existing phone wiring.

Note well- you want to DISCONNECT the old copper drop at the old demarc,
assuming Verizon didn't rip it out already. The FIOS box (around here,
at least) is usually inside the house, and they back-feed the wiring in
basement, or in the phone socket closest to the computer. No biggy, just
unplug it, and tape a note to the rj11 jumper, so somebody doesn't plug
it back in.

Some areas, telco outright removes the copper service drop, to keep
people from changing their mind when the bills start rolling in.

I assume alarm company's line-seizure block would need to be next to the
FIOS box, with the house on the downstream side.

--
aem sends...