Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Main Telephone Connection Point

Hi All,

My main telephone connection box is in a really useless position, how
feasible is it to get BT (I presume the service provider has to do it) to
move it or add other points direct from the main line? I don't particularly
want to add extensions because a) it takes a broadband connection and b) I
would prefer the box another couple of floors up.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct, 08:28, "Endulini" wrote:
Hi All,

My main telephone connection box is in a really useless position, how
feasible is it to get BT (I presume the service provider has to do it) to
move it or add other points direct from the main line? I don't particularly
want to add extensions because a) it takes a broadband connection and b) I
would prefer the box another couple of floors up.

Cheers

Hi Endlini,

BT will gladly move it. The fee is steep though - in the region of
£140 as I recall. Also they don't seem to subscribe to the concept of
neat cabling. You can expect the cable to be festooned around skirting
boards and architraves.

If by "other points" you mean other master sockets they won't do that
- you can only have one master socket.

It's not clear from your post why you don't keep the master socket
where it is and put extenions in the more convenient locations.
Neither using broadband nor going up a couple of floors are good
reasons not to.

The people of uk.telecom are the experts.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:28:29 -0000
"Endulini" wrote:

Hi All,

My main telephone connection box is in a really useless position, how
feasible is it to get BT (I presume the service provider has to do it) to
move it or add other points direct from the main line? I don't particularly
want to add extensions because a) it takes a broadband connection and b) I
would prefer the box another couple of floors up.

If this is your NTE5A box, then legally only BT can move it ( I assume
BT is your line supplier ). They charge a call out
fee of about £200, plus the work, plus VAT (I know from recent
experience). Also, you will find that none of the people on BT's help
desks (on Mars somewhere, I think) have been told the name of the thing
is an 'NTE5A Linebox', so they will completely miss-understand what you
want done.

Illegally: it only has two wires to it. The ring voltage is 40v. There
are plenty of websites that will tell you how to do it. Remember: it's
illegal to electrocute BT engineers, (don't know why) so don't connect
it to the mains

Legally, you can wire an extension from it to a new NTE5A, positioned
where you want it, and then ignore the old one unless you get a fault.
This is what I've done in similar circumstances.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PS I should have added that the advantage of keeping the master socket
and just adding extensions to it is that you can do that yourself -
you wouldn't be interfering with BT's wiring. You could take the time
to hide the cable properly and save yourself £140.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

My main telephone connection box is in a really useless position, how
feasible is it to get BT (I presume the service provider has to do it) to
move it or add other points direct from the main line? I don't particularly
want to add extensions because a) it takes a broadband connection and b) I
would prefer the box another couple of floors up.

Cheers

DIY it.

Get some telephone cable, and extend the incoming via a small screw
junction box and move the master to where it wants to be.

BT will never notice unless you make a mess of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:28:29 -0000, Endulini wrote:

My main telephone connection box is in a really useless position, how
feasible is it to get BT (I presume the service provider has to do it)
to move it or add other points direct from the main line?

Easy, ring 'em up and make an appointment for them to do it. Just be
prepared to open your wallet to the tune of £100 or more.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:

Hi All,

My main telephone connection box is in a really useless position, how
feasible is it to get BT (I presume the service provider has to do
it) to move it or add other points direct from the main line? I don't
particularly want to add extensions because a) it takes a broadband
connection and b) I would prefer the box another couple of floors up.

Cheers

Very feasible, very easy - just b****y expensive!

If you're even *slightly* useful at DIY (and if you're not, why post here?)
you can achieve what you want much more cheaply and perfectly legally by
doing it yourself. Leave the NTE5 master socket where it is [1], but replace
its faceplate with an ADSL filtered faceplate such as the one shown second
from the left at http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

You then simply wire your normal phone extensions from the filtered
connections on the back of the faceplate, and wire a dedicated ADSL
extension from the unfiltered connections to wherever your ADSL modem or
router is installed. Piece of cake!

[1] Because you're not officially allowed to touch anything on the BT side
of that
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:42:59 +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:
The ring voltage is 40v.

Anwhere from 120v down to about 40v depending on how far from the exchnage
you are. Ringing hurts... There is about 50v DC on the line open circuit
that is also enough to make you go "ow, WTF" if attaching wires to a BT
block in the pouring rain.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Permissible combi boiler connection point (electrical) Martin H UK diy 5 May 23rd 07 11:19 PM
extending a telephone point Tom UK diy 40 September 23rd 06 09:06 AM
Old Rotary Telephone Connection Kevin Electronics 1 December 23rd 05 05:09 AM
connection scheme old dial telephone felipe Electronics Repair 3 July 6th 05 07:04 PM
Query: Copper pipe at boiler connection point requirement? Seri UK diy 6 April 17th 04 10:23 PM