Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood screw drills

About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for
the shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like
spade bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat
stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Yeah, my junk drawer

Sears used to sell them in the 60s and 70s. They also sold a collar device
for them to adjust depth of countersink. They worked OK for a while - a
short while - but soon dulled. The gizmo to set countersink depth slipped
too. IOW, the new ones are much better.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Smitty 2 I also have looked for the same type, they are the best type.
Over the years I have broken some of mine. Hope some one knows where to find
them. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/30/2011 1:35 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

I've a pretty nicely made set from General but they no longer seem to be
in the product list...

First set I found was...

http://www.blackanddecker.com/accessories/U1588.aspx

These are not as nice--it appears they're the style made by forming a
flat piece of stock for the shank instead of a shank...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:35:33 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

I has a set long ago. Think they were Black and Decker.
Didn't work well in hard wood. Tore it up.
I wouldn't call them "spade," just flat with shoulders.
I looked a bit, but can't find them on the net.
There's probably good reason they don't sell them any more.
Twist drill with cutter works better.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for
the shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like
spade bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat
stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Yeah, my junk drawer

Sears used to sell them in the 60s and 70s. They also sold a collar device
for them to adjust depth of countersink. They worked OK for a while - a
short while - but soon dulled. The gizmo to set countersink depth slipped
too. IOW, the new ones are much better.

Perhaps they came in different quality levels, as the ones I remember
were pretty good. Didn't have the adjustable collar.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/30/2011 8:33 AM, dpb wrote:

I've a pretty nicely made set from General but they no longer seem to be
in the product list...

The set I have is product S-10; unfortunately, a search for new old
stock and eBay didn't uncover any either place..

First set I found was...

http://www.blackanddecker.com/accessories/U1588.aspx

These are not as nice--it appears they're the style made by forming a
flat piece of stock for the shank instead of a shank...

That is "instead of a solid round shank" that the General set had.

The were well enough made that can rehone an edge and they worked quite
satisfactorily for the countersink; agreed one would not want to use
them to drill the pilot hole in very hard wood; they have no chip
ejection mechanism and are not a drill bit (nor intended to be).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote the following:
About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

I have part of a similar set, but they are made from round stock with
the cutting end forged flat and the other end forged hex shaped for the
drill. There is a 3 step depth stop that attaches to the bit.
I don't know who made the set.
A picture of what I have left is here.
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3...untersinks.jpg

The first bit has the depth stop attached, the second bit is without the
stop, and the third is a broken bit. I don't know why I kept the third
unless it was just as a countersink.
Actually, I don't know why I kept any of them since I use the collar
type now.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Do you still use screws with shanks larger than the threads? I had a set of
those *many* years ago. They're junk compared to today's Snappy
countersinking drill bits.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Drill-Set.aspx

They're available with either tapered or straight bits.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

It's been a long time since I checked, but back in the years when I
was active in boating (building & living aboard) I used to get tapered
bits with adjustable countersinks from our local marine stores. It
might be worthwhile to check some of the online marine supply stores
to see if they're still available, or if you have a large marine store
locally, give them a call to see if they carry them.
Lee

On Aug 29, 11:35*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

As a follow-up to my first reply, a quick check of sources for tapered
drill bits produced the following:
http://admiralshipsupply.com/cart/21/65/
http://admiralshipsupply.com/cart/21/prod_158/
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...Drill+Bit+Uses
[links to several different sizes and types of tapered bits and sets]
http://www.mcfeelys.com/tapered-drill-bits

These might have what you're looking for.
Lee
--------------------------
On Aug 29, 11:35*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Do you still use screws with shanks larger than the threads?

Did they stop making screws that way when I wasn't looking?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...untersinking-D
rill-Set.aspx

They're available with either tapered or straight bits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 08:15:46 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Do you still use screws with shanks larger than the threads?

Did they stop making screws that way when I wasn't looking?

Evidently you don't look.