Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Wood screw drills

Smitty Two wrote the following:
About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

I have part of a similar set, but they are made from round stock with
the cutting end forged flat and the other end forged hex shaped for the
drill. There is a 3 step depth stop that attaches to the bit.
I don't know who made the set.
A picture of what I have left is here.
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3...untersinks.jpg

The first bit has the depth stop attached, the second bit is without the
stop, and the third is a broken bit. I don't know why I kept the third
unless it was just as a countersink.
Actually, I don't know why I kept any of them since I use the collar
type now.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY