Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Filling In A Few Old Screw Holes In Wood Siding: What To Use ?

Hi,

Have a few screw 1/4" dia. approx. screw holes (screws long gone) in my
wood siding.

What's a good product to fill them up with?

I remember small tubes of "Plastic Wood"
Would this be the stuff to use, or is there something better now ?

Would have to be available in small tubes, as I onle a few holes to fill in.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote the following:
Hi,

Have a few screw 1/4" dia. approx. screw holes (screws long gone) in
my wood siding.

What's a good product to fill them up with?

I remember small tubes of "Plastic Wood"
Would this be the stuff to use, or is there something better now ?

Would have to be available in small tubes, as I onle a few holes to
fill in.

Thanks,
Bob

They still make plastic wood. It comes in many wood colors if your
siding is natural color. If painted, you can use any color, or even the
auto body filler Bondo, and paint to match the color.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 14, 11:32*am, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a few screw 1/4" dia. approx. screw holes (screws long gone) in my
wood siding.

What's a good product to fill them up with?

I remember small tubes of "Plastic Wood"
Would this be the stuff to use, or is there something better now ?

Would have to be available in small tubes, as I onle a few holes to fill in.

Thanks,
Bob

Window putty is fine if you give it a chance to skin over before
painting. Obviously, it is formulated for outdoor use.
If you need something more robust, Bondo works but it may be too
inconvenient for you.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

Bob wrote the following:
Hi,

Have a few screw 1/4" dia. approx. screw holes (screws long gone) in
my wood siding.

What's a good product to fill them up with?

I remember small tubes of "Plastic Wood"
Would this be the stuff to use, or is there something better now ?

Would have to be available in small tubes, as I onle a few holes to
fill in.

Thanks,
Bob

They still make plastic wood. It comes in many wood colors if your
siding is natural color. If painted, you can use any color, or even the
auto body filler Bondo, and paint to match the color.

Durham's Water Putty is good,too. You mix the powder with water,so there's
no drying out during long-term storage.
it dries rock hard,is drillable,,doesn't take a stain unless you mix it in
with the water.

Note,if you make it a slurry,it's very moldable,takes all the detain of the
container/mold.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2011 12:32 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a few screw 1/4" dia. approx. screw holes (screws long gone) in my
wood siding.

What's a good product to fill them up with?

I remember small tubes of "Plastic Wood"
Would this be the stuff to use, or is there something better now ?

Would have to be available in small tubes, as I onle a few holes to fill
in.

Thanks,
Bob

Is the siding painted or stained? If painted, I'd just use outdoor-rated
painter's caulk. Squeeze it in, then razor it off smooth after it dries.
If stained, use a dowel to plug, in a wood that will take stain and come
up the same color.

--
aem sends...