Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Wood screw drills

In article ,
" wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:35:33 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

About 30 years ago I worked for a guy who had a set of drills for wood
screws. They drilled the pilot for the threads, the counterbore for the
shank, and the countersink for the head. They were sort of like spade
bits in that they were fashioned from a solid piece of flat stock.

All I've seen lately are the kind with a separate drill bit that slips
into a collar that has the counterbore and countersink cutters, or
sometimes just the countersink.

Anyone know where to get the style I remember from back in the day?

Do you still use screws with shanks larger than the threads?

Did they stop making screws that way when I wasn't looking?

I had a set of
those *many* years ago. They're junk compared to today's Snappy
countersinking drill bits.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...untersinking-D
rill-Set.aspx

They're available with either tapered or straight bits.