Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won't fall off)?

I use tin cans (eg goya beans) for storing pencils and pens of
one kind or another. But sometimes it wall fall off the shelf
it sits on (or I knock it off), and the pencils end up all over
the floor.

So, I decided to screw-down the cans:

I drilled a hoile in the bottom of each one, and then
drilled a starter-hole in the (cheap) wood shelf, one
per hole.

Now I get the proper wood screw, reach inside the can,
stick it through the bottom hole, and into the starter
hole, and screw down the can. SIMPLE!

Not so simple!

1: My hand is too big to reach into the can.
2: With needle-nose pliers, I manage to get
the screw through the hole (can held up in the air),
but am unable to line up the screw with the starter-hole.

Also, when sliding the can around, to find starter hole,
the screw will flip out of the hole in the can.

Question: how should I proceed?

Would be nice to have a maagnetic screwdriver -- but
I don't.

Or, unbend a paper-clip, stick it through the hole,
then with the can held an inch or two above the
wood (so I can see the starter-hole), stick the
protruding end into the hole, then try to set the
can down, and then someohow stick the screw into
the double-hole -- but when I try the screwdriver
on it, it flips out of the hole.

What to do? Epoxy it to the screwdriver (joke)?

What would YOU do?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Oops...hit send by accident.

Drill the hole in the bottom of the can a bit smaller than the screw,
screw the screw into the can, then twist the can into the pilot hole
in the shelf to get it started, finish off with a screwdriver.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 29, 10:48*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 29, 11:27*pm, (David Combs) wrote:

snip

Drill the hole in the bottom of the can a bit smaller than the screw,
screw the screw into the can, then twist the can into the pilot hole
in the shelf to get it started, finish off with a screwdriver.

Use a sheet metal screw instead of a wood screw and R's tip will work
even better.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 12:00*am, Joe wrote:
On Jul 29, 10:48*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 29, 11:27*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
snip

Drill the hole in the bottom of the can a bit smaller than the screw,
screw the screw into the can, then twist the can into the pilot hole
in the shelf to get it started, finish off with a screwdriver.

Use a sheet metal screw instead of a wood screw and R's tip will work
even better.

Thanks for the pickup. I thought it, but the instructions didn't seem
to arrive at my fingertips. I think my pillow is calling me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

What would YOU do?

I'd use a drywall screw on the end of the magnetic bit holder I have in both
of my electric drill motors.

It would be done in less time that it is taking me to write this message.

Jon

#1 is the only one you'll need, but I'll toss out a few extras.

1- Use Scotch tape the hold screw to the screw driver tip.

2 - Use Velcro on the bottom of the can.

3 - Balance the screw on the tip of the screwdriver. Turn the can
upside down, screw the screw through the can. Holding the head against
the bottom of the can with the screwdrive, flip it over and put the
screw in the hole in the shelf. Screw it down.

4 - Stop being so clumsy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd use a magnetic nutsetter, and zip screws. The sheet metals screws
HVAC guys use with six sided heads. But then, I've got the nut setter
and the zip screws already. This project is a good excuse to buy
yourself a magnetic nut setter or two. Think of the children, man!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Thanks for the pickup. I thought it, but the instructions didn't seem
to arrive at my fingertips. I think my pillow is calling me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/29/2010 10:27 PM, David Combs wrote:
[...]

Go to Office Depot and pick up some double sided sticky foam
tape. It comes in different thicknesses or you can layer it.
I have tons of the stuff because it comes with all kinds of
telecom gear that I have installed. It can be amazingly strong
when used correctly. I can't imagine that your pencil holders
will be subjected to extreme forces requiring epoxy or mechanical
fasteners. Heck, use Velcro so you can easily empty any crap
that invariably collects in pencil holders.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

[...]

Get a strong magnet and stick it to the shaft of the screwdriver.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
[...]

That would be my suggestion. Velcro strip wrapped all the way around
the can and a piece on he wall and it's done. You can put the can back
with your eyes closed. I use those small red plastic coffee cans.
Light and hold a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

[...]

That's funny, 13 replies and I didn't see one that suggested the easy
way that I do all the time for similar stuff:

1. Hold screwdriver with tip pointing up, balance phillips head screw on
it.

2. Turn can upside down and lower it over the screw and screwdriver
until the screw is through the hole.

3. Hold the can and screwdriver firmly together, trapping the screw as
you turn it all right side up.

4. Put the tip of the screw in the pilot hole in the wood.

5. Start the screw in the hole with a few turns before optionally
letting go of the can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 9:47*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
(David Combs) wrote:

[...]

letting go of the can.- Hide quoted text -

That's funny, you read 13 replies and didn't notice that I suggested
that in the 8th reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's funny, you read 13 replies and didn't notice that I suggested
that in the 8th reply.

My bad. I confess to skimming 13 replies, and kept seeing "buy the
magnetic", "scotch tape" and "velcro."

I retract my suggestion, and second DD's suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 10:36*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's funny, you read 13 replies and didn't notice that I suggested
that in the 8th reply.

My bad. I confess to skimming 13 replies, and kept seeing "buy the
magnetic", "scotch tape" and "velcro."

I retract my suggestion, and second DD's suggestion.

Actually, I'd prefer that you second my first suggestion.

A small piece of tape holding the screw to the driver allows for the
positioning of any screw at any angle, even straight down - no
balancing required.

Sure, you need an extra piece of "equipment" (tape) but that's a trick
I've been using since my days as an Electronics Tech in the USCG many
(many) years ago.

The screwdrivers with the claws work pretty good too, but the tape
allows for access to much smaller areas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's funny, you read 13 replies and didn't notice that I suggested
that in the 8th reply.

My bad. I confess to skimming 13 replies, and kept seeing "buy the
magnetic", "scotch tape" and "velcro."

I retract my suggestion, and second DD's suggestion.

Actually, I'd prefer that you second my first suggestion.

All right Abbott.

A small piece of tape holding the screw to the driver allows for the
positioning of any screw at any angle, even straight down - no
balancing required.

Sure, you need an extra piece of "equipment" (tape) but that's a trick
I've been using since my days as an Electronics Tech in the USCG many
(many) years ago.

The screwdrivers with the claws work pretty good too, but the tape
allows for access to much smaller areas.

I used to have a split-blade for starting slotted screws, and it worked
very well. But I've given up slotted heads. I use a lot more machine
screws than anything else, and prefer allen drive for socket head or
button head. Flat heads I stick with phillips because the hex drive is
too damn small on those and tends to strip out.

I don't have a magnetic screwdriver but I stick a magnet on the shaft of
any old driver to make it magnetic long enough to start a screw when
needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

I'd add some but I think they got this covered!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, put a sheet metal screw through the shelf from the bottom.

Make the pilot hole in the can.

Screw the can down over the sheet metal screw. Most likely friction
with the wood will keep it from turning. But if not, hold it with a
screwdriver. The advantage of this method is easy removal.

But that's not how I'd do it.

I'd use a hot glue gun. Put a quick dab of glue on the shelf, stick
the can down, done. Secure, but easily removable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Use your framing nailer and toenail it to the shelf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Hire someone to hold the can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

And rent a longer screwdriver!
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:

I'd use a hot glue gun. Put a quick dab of glue on the shelf, stick
the can down, done. Secure, but easily removable.

Gorilla Glue also seems to be removable. It sets up in a couple of hours.

Long ago, I spent a dollar or two on a screwdriver magnetizer at Radio
Shack. That way I can magnetize my favorite screwdrivers when needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 2:37*am, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:
On Thu 29 Jul 2010 08:27:26p, David Combs told us...
Would be nice to have a maagnetic screwdriver -- but
I don't.

So buy one. Or buy a screwdriver with retainer clips to hold the
head. *SIMPLE as that!

Good grief. Anybody that passed science class in elementary school can
MAKE a magnetized screwdriver in seconds!

All you need to do is drag the screwdriver tip across a magnet a few
times. Just make sure to drag it in the same direction each time, and
use a strong magnet like one from the back of a speaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu 29 Jul 2010 08:27:26p, David Combs told us...
Would be nice to have a maagnetic screwdriver -- but
I don't.

So buy one. Or buy a screwdriver with retainer clips to hold the
head. *SIMPLE as that!

Good grief. Anybody that passed science class in elementary school can
MAKE a magnetized screwdriver in seconds!

All you need to do is drag the screwdriver tip across a magnet a few
times. Just make sure to drag it in the same direction each time, and
use a strong magnet like one from the back of a speaker.

Holy cow!

We've gone from screwing a can to a shelf to dismantling a sound
system.

Ya gotta love this group!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
RicodJour wrote:

Oops...hit send by accident.

Drill the hole in the bottom of the can a bit smaller than the screw,
screw the screw into the can, then twist the can into the pilot hole
in the shelf to get it started, finish off with a screwdriver.

HEY, that's pretty cool!

It's those obvious ones that I never think of!

Thank you!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Joe wrote:
On Jul 29, 10:48*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 29, 11:27*pm, (David Combs) wrote:

snip

Drill the hole in the bottom of the can a bit smaller than the screw,
screw the screw into the can, then twist the can into the pilot hole
in the shelf to get it started, finish off with a screwdriver.

Use a sheet metal screw instead of a wood screw and R's tip will work
even better.

Joe

But a sheet-metal screw is pretty flat at the biting-end, not tapered-down
like a wood-screw. So how do I make it grab the wood as (trying to) screw
it into the wood?

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

if I was in a rush, I might try a little beeswax on the head of the
screwdriver to see if it would hold the screw.

Hey, that's a good one!

Since I got stung by a big bee last week, with life-long allergic
reaction causing ear to swell way up, and then a course of antibiotics,
there's got to be a hive nearby, full of beeswax!

Super idea -- I'm not even going to read the rest of the thread,
I'm heading out right now to go find it!

THANK YOU!

David :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Post Quartermaster wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Go to Office Depot and pick up some double sided sticky foam
tape. It comes in different thicknesses or you can layer it.
I have tons of the stuff because it comes with all kinds of
telecom gear that I have installed. It can be amazingly strong
when used correctly. I can't imagine that your pencil holders
will be subjected to extreme forces requiring epoxy or mechanical
fasteners. Heck, use Velcro so you can easily empty any crap
that invariably collects in pencil holders.

TDD

That would be my suggestion. Velcro strip wrapped all the way around
the can and a piece on he wall and it's done. You can put the can back
with your eyes closed. I use those small red plastic coffee cans.
Light and hold a lot.

Yeah, that velcro-on-the-BOTTOM idea is really good.

Now the wrap-AROUND-the-can (and stick to the wall) --
that opens other possibilities of where to put the can!

And leaves me more room for books, too!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
N8N wrote:

Get a strong magnet and stick it to the shaft of the screwdriver.

nate

Yep, good idea (ditto for other identical ones before
in thread). And I've got a really STRONG one on the
refrig door.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:

That's funny, 13 replies and I didn't see one that suggested the easy
way that I do all the time for similar stuff:

1. Hold screwdriver with tip pointing up, balance phillips head screw on
it.

2. Turn can upside down and lower it over the screw and screwdriver
until the screw is through the hole.

3. Hold the can and screwdriver firmly together, trapping the screw as
you turn it all right side up.

4. Put the tip of the screw in the pilot hole in the wood.

5. Start the screw in the hole with a few turns before optionally
letting go of the can.

Yes, this idea was suggested once before, way up in the thread.

THANK YOU!

But a problem now comes to me:

AD I put the can, now right-side-up, down near the wood,
I can't SEE the wood-hole. Not even with a flashlight,
because the angle-of-view is too nearly flat.

And sliding around the can, with the screw sticking out
the bottom, feeling for the hole, won't work for me,'
because the wood (pine) grabs onto the screw-point
wherever it hits the wood.

(Were the surface steel, no sweat, since the point
would slide freely until falling into the hole.)

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
TimR wrote:
Or, put a sheet metal screw through the shelf from the bottom.

Make the pilot hole in the can.

Screw the can down over the sheet metal screw. Most likely friction

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't understand that part. More explanation?

with the wood will keep it from turning. But if not, hold it with a
screwdriver. The advantage of this method is easy removal.

But that's not how I'd do it.

I'd use a hot glue gun. Put a quick dab of glue on the shelf, stick
the can down, done. Secure, but easily removable.

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Sonny wrote:
Use your framing nailer and toenail it to the shelf.

Probably a good suggestion, but I (no carpenter, me) have no idea what
you're talking about.

What's a "framing nailer", and also to "toenail" somelthing?

(No answer, and I'll go to my expert friend, wikipedia, and
get it there.)

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
J Burns wrote:
TimR wrote:

I'd use a hot glue gun. Put a quick dab of glue on the shelf, stick
the can down, done. Secure, but easily removable.

Gorilla Glue also seems to be removable.

Hey, THAT'S scary! "REMOVABLE"? Geez, I've been RELYING on that
stuff sticking FOREVER!

It sets up in a couple of hours.

Long ago, I spent a dollar or two on a screwdriver magnetizer at Radio
Shack. That way I can magnetize my favorite screwdrivers when needed.

Too bad, the Radio Shack of long ago has no resemblance to the Radio
Shack of today! Man, I have this big (analog, of course) VOM that
I bought whata, 40 years ago, 50?, and it still works PERFECTABLY today.

No longer possible.

----

With luck, they'll still sell something like that.

But a lot cheaper to use a strong refrig-magnet, to either
temporarily or permanently magnetize the screwdriver.

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony wrote:
David Combs wrote:
[...]

I think so! Pretty good thread I started!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Wrong. I need a thiner (thinner? How about "narrower"?) hand.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 7:14*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

"I can't SEE the wood-hole"

You know, this is getting scary.

You keep knocking the can off the shelf, you can't find the hole in
the shelf, you can't get the screw in the hole in the can, etc. etc.
etc.

What exactly do you do in this shop of yours?
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
J Burns wrote:
TimR wrote:

I'd use a hot glue gun. Put a quick dab of glue on the shelf, stick
the can down, done. Secure, but easily removable.

Gorilla Glue also seems to be removable.

Hey, THAT'S scary! "REMOVABLE"? Geez, I've been RELYING on that
stuff sticking FOREVER!

I've found it to be strong, but soft enough to cut loose.

It sets up in a couple of hours.

Long ago, I spent a dollar or two on a screwdriver magnetizer at Radio
Shack. That way I can magnetize my favorite screwdrivers when needed.

Too bad, the Radio Shack of long ago has no resemblance to the Radio
Shack of today! Man, I have this big (analog, of course) VOM that
I bought whata, 40 years ago, 50?, and it still works PERFECTABLY today.

No longer possible.

----

With luck, they'll still sell something like that.

But a lot cheaper to use a strong refrig-magnet, to either
temporarily or permanently magnetize the screwdriver.

Thanks!

David

It looks as if Ace Hardware has the same item for $2, and they'll ship
it to you for another $3.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Magneti.../dp/B0000DINHI

To magnetize a screwdriver, you need one pole near the tip and the other
pole up the shaft. I think a bar or horseshoe magnet would work but not
a refrigerator magnet.

The device I purchased doesn't have much of an external magnetic field,
so it minds its own business in my toolbox until I need it.

Occasionally, magnetism in a screwdriver is a nuisance. I have used the
tool to demagnetize, but laying a screwdriver on a transformer is
probably more effective.

How deep into the wood should a screw go? [email protected] Woodworking 41 May 8th 21 06:02 PM
Wood Screw Choice Art Dekko Woodworking 2 January 21st 09 06:05 PM
pencils Artemus Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 June 15th 08 09:46 PM
Wood surface patio? N/A Home Repair 8 May 29th 08 02:43 AM
Furniture Made from Pencils? Phisherman Woodworking 9 February 17th 08 02:42 AM