Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Discourage a Skunk?

How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

My yard is fenced on two sides and the back, with 6' chain link,
but the front is open on both sides.
I have a 6'x8' metal shed in a back corner about a foot from the fence.
It sits on a wooden platform on cinder blocks that were intended to seal
the perimeter.

A skunk has made the area under the shed one of the homes on his route.

I've killed one skunk with ammonia, boy was that a mess, but another has
taken his place.

I keep plugging his access holes, but he makes new ones.

So, I've been looking at alternative strategies.

Conventional wisdom is that you can bury fence about two feet
deep around the perimeter to solve the problem.
Given my lack of tools and the amount of time I'm willing to
expend, I'm thinking that there's no way I can bury two feet of
fence without seriously impacting the soil density and will
have settling problems.
So,
What about laying the fence flat just under the surface for two
feet around the perimeter of the foundation? Is the little bugger
likely to figure out that he has to back up two feet to
get under it?

How about opening up the perimeter???
What does the guy want? He wants a safe place to sleep.

Instead of trying to seal
the perimeter, what If I raise it up another cinder block just at the
corners so there's no shelter
under there? Is that likely to discourage him?

I'm also looking at active deterrents. Like a stun-gun that fires
off a couple-hundred-thousand volts into a wire grid every few minutes.
That's a lot simpler than motion detection.

Ideas?
mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
[...]

How about a radio controlled car? It won't mind be sprayed and if you
annoy the skunk enough it should go away:-)) Besides, fun for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2011 4:56 AM, mike wrote:
[...]

Any evidence he is also getting dinner in your yard? Holes where he
roots for bee hives or whatever, or any sign he is cleaning up spillage
around your bird feeder? I haven't seen any skunks in my yard this year
since the bees gave me a skip, and since I quit feeding the birds in
warm weather once the seed price more than doubled around here.

(Not sure why I didn't get any ground bees this year, first time in six
years I have been here. I didn't want them all to die, since I know they
serve a function- I just wanted them to not be where I mow over them.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 4:56*am, mike wrote:
[...]

this is why wood sheds are a bad dea, animals move in.....

skunks are nocturnal normally only active at night.

why does the skunk bother you?

you dont like animals in your yard? afraid of getting sprayed? whats
your reason?

you have several solutions...

have a professional trap and relocate any skunks that move in.......

fence in the remainder of your yard

move the shed, lay a concrete floor, move shed back jack up and remove
the wood floor altogether

get a dog, the skunk will move on to a quieter location...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , bob haller wrote:

get a dog, the skunk will move on to a quieter location...

Like hell it will. Get a dog, and the OP's next question will be "how do I get
skunk smell out of my dog's coat?".

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:

How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of
disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

My yard is fenced on two sides and the back, with 6' chain
link, but the front is open on both sides.
I have a 6'x8' metal shed in a back corner about a foot
from the fence.
It sits on a wooden platform on cinder blocks that were
intended to seal the perimeter.

A skunk has made the area under the shed one of the homes
on his route.

(snip)
So,
What about laying the fence flat just under the surface
for two
feet around the perimeter of the foundation? Is the
little bugger likely to figure out that he has to back up
two feet to get under it?

My unwanted visitor was a woodchuck living under a slightly
raised wood deck. Metal fencing fastened to the framing
around the deck and bent outward to lay flat a few inches
underground (about a foot of horizontal run) did the trick.
He always dug right at the horizontal fence line, leaving
numerous abandoned excavations.

Dunno whether skunks are smarter. If yours reads usenet,
this won't work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 01:56:43 -0700, mike wrote:

How to Discourage a Skunk?

Watch "Caddyshack" one more time. Lotsa' good info there.

-TES
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2011 4:56 AM, mike wrote:
[...]

Hardware cloth. You know the 1/4" or 3/8" metal screening. You put it
on the lower wall surface of the shed. Then run it down towards the
ground and actually into the ground. You have to dig a trench about 6"
deep and about a foot out from the shed. The hardware cloth then goes
down and right angles out away from the shed. Then fill it back with
dirt. I had skunk under my concrete front stoop and under a wooden
shed. I did it on both and it worked perfectly. BTW, after
installation, they will try to dig, but when they encounter the metal
screening, they will move on. The local animal control officer
suggested this. She also said that new places to live are "cheap" and
plentiful, so they will find another place elsewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-14, mike wrote:

Ideas?

I prefer the blow-the-sombitch-clean-away with a shotgun approach, but
these days, killing any animal will get you more jail time than being
a serial killer. Can't even shoot a bear unless it's already
eviscerated you and you had to scooped up yer own entrails to
reach/unholster your .44 mag revolver to get a shot off. Damn tree
huggers.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:

How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've removed about 2 dozen skunks from around my urban home over the
past 6 years.

I have a small video camera that I keep on my front porch hooked up to a
small TV in my den, beside my regular (large) TV. When-ever I'm
watching TV, I can see what's going on in my front yard. That's how I
know when a skunk is around (it probably doesn't help that I usually
have cat food sitting out on the porch as well).

How do I catch them?

I have a large fishing net and a plastic garbage can standing by at the
side of my house. When I see a skunk, I'll put on my rubber boots, and
(if it's nearby) one of those inexpensive painting respirators that have
a couple of cartriges and cover your nose and mouth. I'll grab the net
and approach the skunk and force the net down on top of him/her.
Sometimes they try to scurry away as I'm doing this, sometimes they
stand their ground and stomp their feet. They never let loose a spray
until I've got them hanging in the net as I'm carrying them to the
garbage can. They can't aim the spray when they're in the net, but the
smell can hang in the air which is why I'll use the respirator when I
can. There's a faint smell sometimes on my clothes or in my hair, but
washing them will get rid of it.

Once in the garbage can, I put the lid on the can, secure it with bungee
chord, put it in my truck and drive it about 7 miles to a relatively
rural area (with a stream nearby) and let them go. They run away
without much of a fuss.

Since I also trap racoons (with a regular trap) sometimes I'll catch a
skunk in a trap. Which is a bit of a pain because naturally it can
spray throught the cage if it wants to. So I'll take my garbage can and
slide the trap into the can and that basically solves that problem, and
take him out to his new home that way.

Something I've noticed is that since I've been agressive at removing
skunks over the years, I've seen hardly any around here over the past 2
or 3 years. So I think that if you can make a dent in their population
this way, they're slow to recover and you don't have to do too much
along the lines of "discouraging" them from trying to make a home on
your property.

I've recently seen what amounts to a closed-shell skunk trap which is
similar in size and shape to the medium-sized racoon traps. Sort of the
same size and shape as an airline golf-bag luggage shell. They go in,
the trap closes, and you can carry it away without being exposed to
direct skunk spray.

I wouldn't mess around with killing them. It would take me hours to dig
a decent hole in my hard clay soil. With catch and release, the whole
thing is over in 20 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in :

[...]

Here's an approach I took. Leave it. I got used to it and it got used to
me. Never sprayed. Didn't stink. Learned I was no threat. It had no
problem mozying within 10 ft of me and visa versa. One day was sitting
on bottom of front steps. It walked by and went around my feet.
Following behind were 3 little ones.

I had a couple of cats. Amazing how they know to leave skunks and bees
alone.

OK, not everyones idea of a reasonable approach. I'm no Green Granola
head by far. Head lice don't have rights and beef tastes good. But I
leave alone anything that's not a health risk or threatening...just
trying to survive like me. Somehow they know how to ID such people and I
get something out of dragonflies that sit on my finger or a chipmunk that
will pop up on a porch table.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
How to Discourage a Skunk?

Electric fence shocker. A STRONG one. Works for stray cats and dogs and
raccoons and all sorts of critters. I got one so strong, it will do 10
miles of fence, and for $5. I had to try it to see if it was working, and
WHEW, howdy, it works.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote in :

mike wrote:

[...]

Wild America on PBS yesterday was about skunks.
They are beneficial critters,eat rodents,snakes,and bugs.
they probably come around because there's a food source.

Of course,you don't want to run into them or corner them.
Or have them make a burrow under your porch. :-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

Home Guy wrote in :

mike wrote:

[...]

Was once told by an extension service they LOVE grubs. The way the woman
put it was that they are doing you a favor digging for grubs. It means
you have a grub problem obviously. Grubs will permanently destroy areas
(large, small, entire lawns) to where replant is necessary. Where a
skunk digs you push the dirt and grass back. A couple of rains and it
fills in. Get rid of grubs (milky spore) and skunks won't shop there.
Get rid of the skunk and grubs continue to feast.

Of course,you don't want to run into them or corner them.
Or have them make a burrow under your porch. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

I've removed about 2 dozen skunks from around my urban home over
the past 6 years.

Something I've noticed is that since I've been agressive at
removing skunks over the years, I've seen hardly any around here
over the past 2 or 3 years. So I think that if you can make a
dent in their population this way, they're slow to recover and
you don't have to do too much along the lines of "discouraging"
them from trying to make a home on your property.

Wild America on PBS yesterday was about skunks.
They are beneficial critters,eat rodents,snakes,and bugs.
they probably come around because there's a food source.

Heh. Food source. I do a lot to keep the birds fed and watered in my
back yard. And I keep kibble on the front porch for my cats, plus any
strays that come around over-night. I'd rather see the birds eat the
bugs vs the skunks. Zero problem with snakes and rodents around here.
No rats period. Some mice, moles and voles (which the cats take care of
when the urge comes over them). I even see the odd possum.

Which is why I don't want racoons and skunks eating that food and
getting their infectious spittle all over any dishes or bowls I leave
out. Cats can catch some nasty things from racoons and maybe skunks
too. Also in the late winter or early spring, sometimes the skunks will
fight in the early morning and spray each other and when that happens
near my home's furnace makeup air-intake, I get really mad when I wake
up to the smell of skunk in the house in the morning.

Of course,you don't want to run into them or corner them.
Or have them make a burrow under your porch. :-)

While I agree that generally you *can* just leave them alone because
they're nocturnal and they hibernate in the winter thus you'll almost
never be bothered by them, something will cause them to let loose a
spray every once in a while and that's reason enough (for me) to not
want them around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2011 9:14 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , bob wrote:

get a dog, the skunk will move on to a quieter location...

Like hell it will. Get a dog, and the OP's next question will be "how do I get
skunk smell out of my dog's coat?".

Chortle. But unless it is a dumb dog, they will probably only have to do
it once.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Was once told by an extension service they LOVE grubs.

Yea, I do sometimes see evidence of digging in the lawn, but there
really isin't a grub problem around here. Lawns are mostly in good
shape. I've put down grub killer in the past. Crane flys have also
caused minor problems in the past.

I think they come because of the bird seed. And I have a feeding
station for squirels on the ground in the back, usually put shelled
peanuts and sunflowers in that (better that then have them knaw the bark
on the top side of of tree branches).

There's always the garbage to try to get into, as well as flower bulbs
and other desirable plants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2011 10:29 AM, Home Guy wrote:
(snip)

I've recently seen what amounts to a closed-shell skunk trap which is
similar in size and shape to the medium-sized racoon traps. Sort of the
same size and shape as an airline golf-bag luggage shell. They go in,
the trap closes, and you can carry it away without being exposed to
direct skunk spray.

I wouldn't mess around with killing them. It would take me hours to dig
a decent hole in my hard clay soil. With catch and release, the whole
thing is over in 20 minutes.

Note that in many areas, animal relocation without a permit is illegal,
in some cases for pretty good reasons like preventing spread of diseases
or parasites. May wanna do a little checking around online for the rules
in your area before telling people what you do.

Plus of course, for some species, relocation amounts to a death sentence
anyway- the local occupants of the same ecological niche aren't likely
to be welcoming to visitors on their turf. That, and animals can find
there way 'home' over amazing distances. A buddy of mine tried
relocating raccoons out of deference to his then-young daughters. After
the third time, he tagged it with spray paint. When it showed up again a
few days later, he sent the wife and daughters shopping for a few hours.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:51:30 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Here's an approach I took. Leave it. I got used to it and it got used to
me. Never sprayed. Didn't stink. Learned I was no threat. It had no
problem mozying within 10 ft of me and visa versa. One day was sitting
on bottom of front steps. It walked by and went around my feet.
Following behind were 3 little ones.

I had a couple of cats. Amazing how they know to leave skunks and bees
alone.

OK, not everyones idea of a reasonable approach. I'm no Green Granola
head by far. Head lice don't have rights and beef tastes good. But I
leave alone anything that's not a health risk or threatening...just
trying to survive like me. Somehow they know how to ID such people and I
get something out of dragonflies that sit on my finger or a chipmunk that
will pop up on a porch table.

That's what I do. They sometimes nest under my front concrete porch.
If they raise too much stink, which they do sometimes, I flood them
out with a garden hose in the hole they dug.
Stick it in there and walk away. Fill the hole later.
That's always lasted a 2-3 years before they come back.
Sometimes they'll be one hiding under a big evergreen in my yard.
Skunked all 3 of my dogs once. Indoor pets. That was a mess.
I keep the dogs away from that tree now.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mike
wrote:

How to Discourage a Skunk?

snip

Ideas?
mike

Leave the skunk alone. I've had skunks living under my deck for years,
never bothered me at all. Come into the kitchen to chow down on the cat
food if I leave the screen door open. Also have raccoons, possums, used
to see rabbits but not lately, had a bobcat recently, and about 5 yrs.
ago the coyotes moved in.

What is this ridiculous obsession with wiping out nature?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , mike
wrote:

How to Discourage a Skunk?

snip

Ideas?
mike

Leave the skunk alone. I've had skunks living under my deck for years,
never bothered me at all. Come into the kitchen to chow down on the cat
food if I leave the screen door open. Also have raccoons, possums, used
to see rabbits but not lately, had a bobcat recently, and about 5 yrs.
ago the coyotes moved in.

What is this ridiculous obsession with wiping out nature?

I never said I wanted to wipe out nature.
I want to DISCOURAGE one skunk from burrowing under my shed.
He can set up shop anywhere else he likes.

I open up the house and run an exhaust fan at night.
Last week, the wandering critter put up such a stink that it woke me up.
But by then, closing up the house did little good for my nose.
I'd be a happy camper if I could encourage him to stay a couple of
hundred feet away. Wonder if you can get a restraining order against
a skunk???

Thanks for all the inputs.
Think I'm gonna try raising the shed up 8" and leave the perimeter open.

mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Home Guy wrote:
mike wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing that:
1) your sense of smell isn't as good as you think it is
2) you live alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote the following:
Red Green wrote:

Was once told by an extension service they LOVE grubs.

Yea, I do sometimes see evidence of digging in the lawn, but there
really isin't a grub problem around here. Lawns are mostly in good
shape. I've put down grub killer in the past. Crane flys have also
caused minor problems in the past.

I think they come because of the bird seed. And I have a feeding
station for squirels on the ground in the back, usually put shelled
peanuts and sunflowers in that (better that then have them knaw the bark
on the top side of of tree branches).

There's always the garbage to try to get into, as well as flower bulbs
and other desirable plants.

It could be worse than small animals getting into the garbage.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/bearjj.jpg/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Well, I think most dog owners & non-owners know that, regardless of IQ,
dogs are VERY stupid when it comes to skunks. I bet even Lassi got
nailed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote in :

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , mike
wrote:

[...]

I want to DISCOURAGE

Can't argue with that vs. the KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT! mindset.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

My yard is fenced on two sides and the back, with 6' chain link,
but the front is open on both sides.
I have a 6'x8' metal shed in a back corner about a foot from the
fence. It sits on a wooden platform on cinder blocks that were
intended to seal the perimeter.

A skunk has made the area under the shed one of the homes on his
route.
I've killed one skunk with ammonia, boy was that a mess, but another
has taken his place.

I keep plugging his access holes, but he makes new ones.

So, I've been looking at alternative strategies.

Have you tried moth balls?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote the following:
mike wrote:
How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

My yard is fenced on two sides and the back, with 6' chain link,
but the front is open on both sides.
I have a 6'x8' metal shed in a back corner about a foot from the
fence. It sits on a wooden platform on cinder blocks that were
intended to seal the perimeter.

A skunk has made the area under the shed one of the homes on his
route.
I've killed one skunk with ammonia, boy was that a mess, but another
has taken his place.

I keep plugging his access holes, but he makes new ones.

So, I've been looking at alternative strategies.

Have you tried moth balls?

I have, but it just deterred moths from the skunks coat.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
mike wrote:
How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

My yard is fenced on two sides and the back, with 6' chain link,
but the front is open on both sides.
I have a 6'x8' metal shed in a back corner about a foot from the
fence. It sits on a wooden platform on cinder blocks that were
intended to seal the perimeter.

A skunk has made the area under the shed one of the homes on his
route.
I've killed one skunk with ammonia, boy was that a mess, but another
has taken his place.

I keep plugging his access holes, but he makes new ones.

So, I've been looking at alternative strategies.

Have you tried moth balls?

I was afraid that the chemical processes would have adverse effects
on the contents of the shed, so I never followed up on mothballs.

I did spray ammonia under there once.
Whatever was under there was too stupid to escape and died.
I had flies and maggots everywhere for weeks.

Come to think of it, I have no evidence that the skunk is my problem.
I've been reacting to the skunk smell when he roams the area.
Could be a possum under the shed.

I should set up the critter cam again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote the following:
Bob F wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

Probably from the new born babies.

Come to think of it, I have no evidence that the skunk is my problem.
I've been reacting to the skunk smell when he roams the area.
Could be a possum under the shed.

I should set up the critter cam again.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2011 4:56 AM, mike wrote:
How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

You can catch and release using a Hav-a-hart trap.

They say the skunk will not spray when confined.

I've caught a couple and just opened the trap to let them out without
getting sprayed. I don't think I'd transfer them in my SUV and would
want to only use an open pick-up just in case.

You cover the trapped skunk with a blanket and take to where you can
release it. You can tie a string to the trap to open at a safe distance.

The ones I released without transporting did not even leave a trace of
odor in the trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote in :

Red Green wrote:

Was once told by an extension service they LOVE grubs.

Yea, I do sometimes see evidence of digging in the lawn, but there
really isin't a grub problem around here. Lawns are mostly in good
shape. I've put down grub killer in the past. Crane flys have also
caused minor problems in the past.

I think they come because of the bird seed. And I have a feeding
station for squirels on the ground in the back, usually put shelled
peanuts and sunflowers in that (better that then have them knaw the bark
on the top side of of tree branches).

There's always the garbage to try to get into, as well as flower bulbs
and other desirable plants.

I don't think skunks eat bird seed. peanuts might do it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 8/14/2011 4:56 AM, mike wrote:
How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

You can catch and release using a Hav-a-hart trap.

They say the skunk will not spray when confined.

I've caught a couple and just opened the trap to let them out without
getting sprayed. I don't think I'd transfer them in my SUV and would
want to only use an open pick-up just in case.

You cover the trapped skunk with a blanket and take to where you can
release it. You can tie a string to the trap to open at a safe distance.

The ones I released without transporting did not even leave a trace of
odor in the trap.

Hav-a-hart trap covered with a blanket works. Saw my local animal
control person do that when I caught a skunk by accident.

Fun thread:-))
Posted to alt.home.repair

Trap and release works about as well as moving water from
one side of the boat to the other.

Also, the people in destination communities are also
practicing trap and release. How do you think you got skunks
in the first place?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message
On 8/14/2011 4:56 AM, mike wrote:
How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of
disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

You can catch and release using a Hav-a-hart trap.

They say the skunk will not spray when confined.

I've caught a couple and just opened the trap to let them
out without
getting sprayed. I don't think I'd transfer them in my SUV
and would
want to only use an open pick-up just in case.

You cover the trapped skunk with a blanket and take to where
you can
release it. You can tie a string to the trap to open at a
safe distance.

The ones I released without transporting did not even leave
a trace of
odor in the trap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-14, Home Guy wrote:

Once in the garbage can, I put the lid on the can, secure it with bungee
chord, put it in my truck and drive it about 7 miles to a relatively
rural area (with a stream nearby) and let them go. They run away
without much of a fuss.

Not only foolish, but in some places, illegal. Ever hear of rabies?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15834687

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-14, Home Guy wrote:

Once in the garbage can, I put the lid on the can, secure it with bungee
chord, put it in my truck and drive it about 7 miles to a relatively
rural area (with a stream nearby) and let them go. They run away
without much of a fuss.

Not only foolish, but in some places, illegal. Ever hear of rabies?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15834687

nb

"...Signs of rabies in animals include abnormal behavior such as
nocturnal animals being active during the day,..."

I've read this about skunks. Seldom are they seen during the day time
hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-08-14, Home Guy wrote:

Once in the garbage can, I put the lid on the can, secure it with bungee
chord, put it in my truck and drive it about 7 miles to a relatively
rural area (with a stream nearby) and let them go. They run away
without much of a fuss.

Not only foolish, but in some places, illegal. Ever hear of rabies?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15834687

nb

"...Signs of rabies in animals include abnormal behavior such as
nocturnal animals being active during the day,..."

I've read this about skunks. Seldom are they seen during the day time
hours.

Skunks are crepuscular. Seeing one in the daytime is hardly cause for
alarm.
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

I had a wooden deck (12x25) built on the ground at our RV trailer site. A
family of skunks (two adults and two little ones) decided to make living
under the deck, between two joists their home. I tried everything--ammonia,
broken pieces of glass, store bought skunk repellant etc.--nothing helped.
They would leave early evening-we stayed in and watched them go- and they
were back before day light. During the day we could see them in the space
between the decking-two inches under our feet.. I finally decided to go
about our business as usual--sweeping, hosing down the deck and whatever
else. I'll leave them alone as long as they left me alone. We never had an
incident and I think that the saving grace was that they were so confined
that they couldn't raise their tails.. Could be they also bought into the
"I'll leave them alone if they leave me alone". So in your case, if tail
space is limited, leave him alone and don't threaten him.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news

On 2011-08-14, Home Guy wrote:

Once in the garbage can, I put the lid on the can, secure it with
bungee chord, put it in my truck and drive it about 7 miles to a
relatively rural area (with a stream nearby) and let them go.
They run away without much of a fuss.

Not only foolish, but in some places, illegal. Ever hear of rabies?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15834687

nb

"...Signs of rabies in animals include abnormal behavior such as
nocturnal animals being active during the day,..."

I've read this about skunks. Seldom are they seen during the day time
hours.

Skunks are crepuscular. Seeing one in the daytime is hardly cause for
alarm.

crepuscular = Man Smitty, you need to get a f'n award for that one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:08:27 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

On 2011-08-14, Home Guy wrote:

Once in the garbage can, I put the lid on the can, secure it with
bungee chord, put it in my truck and drive it about 7 miles to a
relatively rural area (with a stream nearby) and let them go.
They run away without much of a fuss.

Not only foolish, but in some places, illegal. Ever hear of rabies?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15834687

nb

"...Signs of rabies in animals include abnormal behavior such as
nocturnal animals being active during the day,..."

I've read this about skunks. Seldom are they seen during the day time
hours.

Skunks are crepuscular. Seeing one in the daytime is hardly cause for
alarm.

crepuscular = Man Smitty, you need to get a f'n award for that one.

Yep. That was almost spectacular.

--Vic