Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default How to Discourage a Skunk?

On Aug 14, 4:56*am, mike wrote:
How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of disjointed
input. *Thought I'd try to *focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

My yard is fenced on two sides and the back, with 6' chain link,
but the front is open on both sides.
I have a 6'x8' metal shed in a back corner about a foot from the fence.
It sits on a *wooden platform on cinder blocks that were intended to seal
the perimeter.

A skunk has made the area under the shed one of the homes on his route.

I've killed one skunk with ammonia, boy was that a mess, but another has
taken his place.

I keep plugging his access holes, but he makes new ones.

So, I've been looking at alternative strategies.

Conventional wisdom is that you can bury fence about two feet
deep around the perimeter to solve the problem.
Given my lack of tools and the amount of time I'm willing to
expend, I'm thinking that there's no way I can bury two feet of
fence without seriously impacting the soil density and will
have settling problems.
So,
What about laying the fence flat just under the surface for two
feet around the perimeter of the foundation? *Is the little bugger
likely to figure out that he has to back up two feet to
get under it?

How about opening up the perimeter???
What does the guy want? *He wants a safe place to sleep.

Instead of trying to seal
the perimeter, what If I raise it up another cinder block just at the
corners so there's no shelter
under there? *Is that likely to discourage him?

I'm also looking at active deterrents. *Like a stun-gun that fires
off a couple-hundred-thousand volts into a wire grid every few minutes.
That's a lot simpler than motion detection.

Ideas?
mike

this is why wood sheds are a bad dea, animals move in.....

skunks are nocturnal normally only active at night.

why does the skunk bother you?

you dont like animals in your yard? afraid of getting sprayed? whats
your reason?

you have several solutions...

have a professional trap and relocate any skunks that move in.......

fence in the remainder of your yard

move the shed, lay a concrete floor, move shed back jack up and remove
the wood floor altogether

get a dog, the skunk will move on to a quieter location...