Sam

Default Discourage Cat Unrination??

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do to
keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

--

This message was written on 100% recycled spam.

SAM

Richard J Kinch

Sam writes:

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we
do to keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating?

http://www.mouchette.org/cat/
Red Neckerson

"Sam" wrote

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do

keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

1) Get rid of the cat
2) Buy a pit bull
3) close the damn door

Edwin Pawlowski

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do

keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating?

Take him to the vet. They give him a shot and he will never pee in the
house again.

SteveB

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we

do
keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating?

You have two choices.

1. Get used to it.
2. Lose the cat.

Once a cat starts doing that, there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Steve

Judy

"Sam" wrote in message
Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do

keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating?

You can do nothing to keep him from "wanting" but you can keep in from
"returning" by closing the door.

The problem originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have

remedied that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

So why not close the door?

M.C. Mullen

"Sam" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do
| keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
| originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that
| problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
| already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.
|
| --
|
| This message was written on 100% recycled spam.
|
| SAM

Put a plastic cover over the bed?
Put a *brand-new* litterbox into that room?
HTH

Carola

Wendy

"Sam" wrote in message
Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do

keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

--

This message was written on 100% recycled spam.

SAM

close the door and keep him out of that room altogether. Then you have to
completely eliminate any residual odor from the room. An enzyme cleaner may
eventually get rid of the smell but if you've tossed 2 sets of bed linens I
would imagine the mattress is toast.

You may eventually be able to let him back in once a long period of time has
passed which will break the habit and the odor is completely eliminated. Of
course this is dependent on you're continuing to keep his litter box clean
so he doesn't look for alternatives.

readandpost rosie

: He has
: already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.
:
: --
:

toss the mattress, close the door, litterbox retraining!

ILYNat

Closing the door is step 1. My cat was doing this on a stair landing
(she's diabetic and has some control problems) and besides cleaning
with the enzymatic cleaners mentioned here, I covered the landing with
a ScatMat which delivers a low-voltage (9v) shock when stepped on.
It doesn't hurt but sure kept her off of the steps.

In addition, some retraining might be in order. I carried her to the
litter box after each meal and now she goes immediately after eating
and pees right away.

You can find the Scat Mats on eBay.
Mike D

Sam wrote:

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do to
keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

The cat is returning to the SCENT .. Close the door.. eliminate the
scent it left. That will probably cost you a rug and anything else
fabric that it hit. But if it smells to the cat like its "spot" it'll
be back.. Consider a door closer..
Buck Turgidson

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do
keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

Put the cat in the oven for 1 hour at 450. Season to taste...

clifto

Sam wrote:
Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do to
keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

1. Get rid of the scent. Nature's Miracle is good.
2. Watch out for behavioral problems. Our Rocky (RIP) started peeing on
the bed at one point. By careful observation we determined he did it
every time he came asking for attention and we ignored him. All it took
to stop him was fifteen seconds of attention when he wanted it. Nephew
had a cat that would pee on the bed every time the big bully cat picked
on it; he had to give that one to a calmer home to stop the problem.

--
Both Kerry and Edwards announced their candidacy near the beginning of September,
2003, so let's only count votes before then. From January, 2003, to August, 2003,
D'Olier

Cut off her penis.

wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:42:49 -0400, "Sam"
wrote:

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do

keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied

that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

Put a litter box where he is going in taht spare room. Keep the
original one too.

AC

Not exactly. A cat doesn't return to to scent unless it knows there are
others around, that are competitive. A cat, indoors without scenting by
others (esp. female) will NOT perform this behaviour.

If it's an indoor cat, keep others away, using humane methods.

I suspect a "powerplay", though - and this is a popular cat-tactic, when
they feel like they are powerless. Try some empowering of the cat without
diminishing yours. There are many web-resources available for this.

"Mike D" wrote in message
Sam wrote:

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we

do to
keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem
originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied

that
problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He

has
already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

The cat is returning to the SCENT .. Close the door.. eliminate the
scent it left. That will probably cost you a rug and anything else
fabric that it hit. But if it smells to the cat like its "spot" it'll
be back.. Consider a door closer..

George Will

Put a real litter box in the spare room.

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom,

Tom Miller

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:08:01 -0400, "George Will"
wrote:

| Put a real litter box in the spare room.
|
| Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom,

Before you go to that trouble, make sure the old litter box is cleaned
out regularly. If you let the poop pile up, many cats will simply go
elsewhere in protest.

This can also be a sign of illness in some cats -- they are trying to
get your attention because their plumbing isn't working right. For
example, our male cat once had FUS (feline urinary syndrome) and
dribbled pee on a floor mat in our kitchen while my wife was there to
show us that he was having a problem peeing. A trip to the vet plus a
change of his diet and no more problems since for him or us.

Of course, some cats are just onery....
Fan

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:49:13 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we

do
keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating?

You have two choices.

1. Get used to it.
2. Lose the cat.

Once a cat starts doing that, there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Steve

Very poor, and incorrect advice. Almost all litterbox problems can be
solved, often with very little expense and time.

Is there a shelter by you with a cat behaviorilist? We have one who
does not charge anything and will discuss several things with the
person to get to the root of the problem.