Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default How to Discourage a Skunk?

Bob F wrote:
mike wrote:
How to Discourage a Skunk?

I've been googling the subject and found a lot of disjointed
input. Thought I'd try to focus the issue and get some
ideas about the relative merits.

My yard is fenced on two sides and the back, with 6' chain link,
but the front is open on both sides.
I have a 6'x8' metal shed in a back corner about a foot from the
fence. It sits on a wooden platform on cinder blocks that were
intended to seal the perimeter.

A skunk has made the area under the shed one of the homes on his
route.
I've killed one skunk with ammonia, boy was that a mess, but another
has taken his place.

I keep plugging his access holes, but he makes new ones.

So, I've been looking at alternative strategies.

Have you tried moth balls?

I was afraid that the chemical processes would have adverse effects
on the contents of the shed, so I never followed up on mothballs.

I did spray ammonia under there once.
Whatever was under there was too stupid to escape and died.
I had flies and maggots everywhere for weeks.

Come to think of it, I have no evidence that the skunk is my problem.
I've been reacting to the skunk smell when he roams the area.
Could be a possum under the shed.

I should set up the critter cam again.