Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No dial tone on Verizon landline, DSL operating normally

frank1492 wrote:

Any ideas? I won't have my phone service restored until Aug. 20
due to the strike.

Heh.

Don't rule out intentional sabotage or tampering...

====================
http://www.wtae.com/r/28846881/detai...#ixzz1UpxXvTnU

Verizon Site Mischief Cuts Police Phone Service
State Trooper Says Someone With Keys Went In Underground Vault

POSTED: 11:00 am EDT August 12, 2011

LEMONT FURNACE, Pa.

State police in Uniontown said a 29-hour loss of landline phone service
was caused by an act of criminal mischief when someone went into locked
underground Verizon vaults and shut off the power.

Trooper Timothy Kirsch said there was no forced entry at the sites on
Main Street and on Route 119 in Lemont Furnace, near the Penn State
Fayette campus. Police believe whoever shut off the power had keys.

Police are trying to determine if the incident, which began at about
9:30 p.m. Tuesday, is related to an ongoing strike by Verizon landline
workers.

The local state police barracks was without phone and computer service
for 21 hours, police said. Calls had to be forwarded to dispatchers who
worked out of another barracks several miles away.

All of the Lemont Furnace area -- including many local businesses -- had
no communication, data and cellphone service for about 29 hours, police
said.

Police have no suspects and have made no arrests.
=================
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Which is why I keep saying that not everyone has a demarc point
to which their entire home phone wiring is connected to via a
modular RJ-11 plug that they can simply dis-connect by unplugging
the plug.

But their certainly is in the picture of the NID he also included.

Yes. Roger says he has a box outside his house.

But Roger isin't the guy with the problem that started this thread.

If you have a "box" (NID) outside there is always a plug which
allows you to easily disconnect your stuff and allows telco
access without needing to go inside. That is the entire point of
the NID.

Way too many generalizations in that paragraph.

I could just as easily say that the outside box is secured with
tamper-proof screws or bolts and it not easily opened by the average
homeowner, and that there's no garantee that there's a modular connector
in the box vs just a hard-wired spliced connection to the demarc inside
the home.

But regardless - I don't believe the OP (frank1492) mentioned anything
about having an outside box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2011 2:13 PM, Home Guy wrote:
George wrote:

Which is why I keep saying that not everyone has a demarc point
to which their entire home phone wiring is connected to via a
modular RJ-11 plug that they can simply dis-connect by unplugging
the plug.

But their certainly is in the picture of the NID he also included.

Yes. Roger says he has a box outside his house.

But Roger isin't the guy with the problem that started this thread.

If you have a "box" (NID) outside there is always a plug which
allows you to easily disconnect your stuff and allows telco
access without needing to go inside. That is the entire point of
the NID.

Way too many generalizations in that paragraph.

I will defer to your expert knowledge. What specific features would one
expect in a phone NID other than I described (I believe I omitted color)

I could just as easily say that the outside box is secured with
tamper-proof screws or bolts and it not easily opened by the average
homeowner, and that there's no garantee that there's a modular connector
in the box vs just a hard-wired spliced connection to the demarc inside
the home.

You could say that but it wouldn't be correct. The whole point of the
NID is to define a DEMARC point with ready access for both the telco and
the subscriber and always a tool less method to disconnect premise
wiring in the form of a modular plug .

But regardless - I don't believe the OP (frank1492) mentioned anything
about having an outside box.

You are absolutely correct. The "box" where he noted he checked the
connections might have been the litter box...