Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default No dial tone on Verizon landline, DSL operating normally

frank1492 wrote:

Any ideas? I won't have my phone service restored until Aug. 20
due to the strike.

Heh.

Don't rule out intentional sabotage or tampering...

====================
http://www.wtae.com/r/28846881/detai...#ixzz1UpxXvTnU

Verizon Site Mischief Cuts Police Phone Service
State Trooper Says Someone With Keys Went In Underground Vault

POSTED: 11:00 am EDT August 12, 2011

LEMONT FURNACE, Pa.

State police in Uniontown said a 29-hour loss of landline phone service
was caused by an act of criminal mischief when someone went into locked
underground Verizon vaults and shut off the power.

Trooper Timothy Kirsch said there was no forced entry at the sites on
Main Street and on Route 119 in Lemont Furnace, near the Penn State
Fayette campus. Police believe whoever shut off the power had keys.

Police are trying to determine if the incident, which began at about
9:30 p.m. Tuesday, is related to an ongoing strike by Verizon landline
workers.

The local state police barracks was without phone and computer service
for 21 hours, police said. Calls had to be forwarded to dispatchers who
worked out of another barracks several miles away.

All of the Lemont Furnace area -- including many local businesses -- had
no communication, data and cellphone service for about 29 hours, police
said.

Police have no suspects and have made no arrests.