Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CFLs and dimmers

hi -
Just happen to stumble cross a webpage
discussing CFLs and dimmers... -
but still confused
http://www.dimmablecfls.com/index.html

We have been gradually replacing bulbs with CFLs around our house.
There are a couple situations still to be addressed - dimmable lamps -

I have seen a few "dimmable CFLs" on the market
vs the racks of "standard CFLs"

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them dimmable ?

#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
along with "normal dimmers"
again - what's different between
these two different labelled dimmers ?

Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL,
or require a dimmable CFL ?

It might help to have a mtarix -
and maybe explain any technical differences,
unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....

tnx for any info & education -

Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan
CFL Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
Normal Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1990's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1980's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?

--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them dimmable ?

#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
along with "normal dimmers"
again - what's different between
these two different labelled dimmers ?

Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL,
or require a dimmable CFL ?

It might help to have a mtarix -
and maybe explain any technical differences,
unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....

tnx for any info & education -

OK.............YOU ASKED FOR IT.....................

Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan
CFL Dimmer yes no yes
Normal Dimmer most no yes
1990's Dimmer most no yes
1980's Dimmer most no yes

1940's to 1960's variac type dimmer
Dimmable CFL.....most very smooth Standard
CFL... sometimes, partially Incandescant....yes always they
still die young.

HOWEVER........I go to Lightfair every year ( in USA) and ALL of the
dimmable fluorescent screw in units are CRAP.................PERIOD........

they may work ok for a short while........but after less then 6 mnths they
ALL fail in one fashion or another........dead, flickering, flashing.

We have purchased 9 brands (6 each) @ Lightfair AND THE SAME BRAND / MODLE
DIMMER they were demo d on to put into no-charge limited testing at
several small restaurants locally....

average 12 hrs / day JUNK.............and just try to get a store /
manufacturer to warranty more then one or two...........

ps.............one dimmable CFL on one incandescant dimmer will last longer
then multiple units as when they switch on/off (dimming) this screws with
the dimmer....or add a single 60-100 watt incandescant lamp in with
multiple DCFLS and the results are better....................AND YOU THOUGHT
WE WERE DONE.................Diversafied Components makes (made) a NEON
dimmer 3 wire goesinter, goesouter and a neutral...........I had the best
luck with an old one of these.....................till the dimmer failed
Hot to Neut.
--
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
No Good Deed -

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them dimmable ?

#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
along with "normal dimmers"
again - what's different between
these two different labelled dimmers ?

Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL,
or require a dimmable CFL ?

It might help to have a mtarix -
and maybe explain any technical differences,
unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....

tnx for any info & education -

Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan
CFL Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
Normal Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1990's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1980's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?

Some additional info to the Harrison reply.

http://www.lutron.com/Education-Trai...LsandLEDs.aspx

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them dimmable ?

#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
along with "normal dimmers"
again - what's different between
these two different labelled dimmers ?

Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL,
or require a dimmable CFL ?

It might help to have a mtarix -
and maybe explain any technical differences,
unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....

tnx for any info & education -

Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan
CFL Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
Normal Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1990's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1980's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?

Some additional info to the Harrison reply.

http://www.lutron.com/Education-Trai...LsandLEDs.aspx

tnx for the Lutron link -
So what's different about a CFL dimmer vs the good old simple Variac
switcher ?
And what is the Lutron HED technology - not really explained, except in
consumer-speak ?

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them
dimmable ?
#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
along with "normal dimmers"
again - what's different between
these two different labelled dimmers ?

Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL,
or require a dimmable CFL ?

It might help to have a mtarix -
and maybe explain any technical differences,
unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....

tnx for any info & education -

Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan CFL Dimmer
Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ? Normal Dimmer Y/N ?
Y/N ? Y/N ? 1990's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1980's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?

Lots of info on the 'net -- try looking it up yourself. Have you even tried?

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them
dimmable ? #2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
[...]

/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
_/ No Good Deed -
Goes Unpunished

Boy, you can sure get a lot of things wrong. My experience is just the
opposite of yours.

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them dimmable ?

#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
along with "normal dimmers"
again - what's different between
these two different labelled dimmers ?

Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL,
or require a dimmable CFL ?

It might help to have a mtarix -
and maybe explain any technical differences,
unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....

tnx for any info& education -

Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan
CFL Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
Normal Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1990's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1980's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?

Some additional info to the Harrison reply.

http://www.lutron.com/Education-Trai...LsandLEDs.aspx

tnx for the Lutron link -
So what's different about a CFL dimmer vs the good old simple Variac
switcher ?
And what is the Lutron HED technology - not really explained, except in
consumer-speak ?

Haven't had a chance to try one of the Lutron CFL-specific dimmers as
they weren't available in stores when I was trying to find a solution
(read: before I gave up and put incandescents back in all the lights on
dimmers,) but IME *NO* CFLs will dim acceptably on a bog-standard Lutron
dimmer, packaging copy on the CFLs notwithstanding.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them dimmable ?

#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
along with "normal dimmers"
again - what's different between
these two different labelled dimmers ?

Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL,
or require a dimmable CFL ?

It might help to have a mtarix -
and maybe explain any technical differences,
unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....

tnx for any info & education -

Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan
CFL Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N
? Normal Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N
? 1990's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N
? 1980's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N
?

Some additional info to the Harrison reply.

http://www.lutron.com/Education-Trai...ingCFLsandLEDs.
aspx

tnx for the Lutron link -
So what's different about a CFL dimmer vs the good old simple Variac
switcher ?
And what is the Lutron HED technology - not really explained, except
in consumer-speak ?

I have no further details into deeper info. Googling "Lutron HED
technology", is 1.8M hits.

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them
[...]

Ive been in business 30 yrs with NO problems........if you wish to be an
idiot go ahead.....oh yeah, just what is your profession? plumber?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boy, you can sure get a lot of things wrong. My experience is just the
opposite of yours.

Care to explain and relate your expierences with us? This is a topic I
'm interested in and would like first hand knowledge from people who know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message

Lots of info on the 'net -- try looking it up yourself. Have you even
tried?

yup - like the 2mil hits from various stores that merely mirror the exact
Lutron marketing text
and nowhere is there a technical explanation for their HED technology,
or more about the design differences between a simple high freq Variac
switcher
vs some complex circuit that modifies the power wave under the curve
or handles PWM as used for dimming and controlling LED lights vs CFL lights.
Will try a posting over in the electronic design newsgroup -

dual 3-way dimmers Proom Home Repair 4 July 4th 09 02:47 AM
Confusion over Dimmers for CFLs Wayne Boatwright[_4_] Home Repair 20 April 28th 08 08:24 PM
Dimmers The Medway Handyman UK diy 9 January 10th 08 04:06 PM
Dimmers for two way switching The Medway Handyman UK diy 9 March 13th 07 01:17 PM
MK dimmers v the others Keith D UK diy 10 September 15th 03 09:22 PM