Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Confusion over Dimmers for CFLs

I have heard that there are dimmers available that will work with
conventional CFLs and don't require the special dimmable CFLs, but I have yet
to find one that clearly states it will work this way.

Does anyone here know about such a dimmer?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/...Ls-303120-.htm
:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have heard that there are dimmers available that will work with
conventional CFLs and don't require the special dimmable CFLs, but I
have yet
to find one that clearly states it will work this way.

Does anyone here know about such a dimmer?

There is no confusion. You can't dim a CFL without damaging it. Been
there, done that. Life expectancy of a CFL bulb behind a dimmer is about
3-4 hours.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:07*am, (DA) wrote:
DA had written this in response tohttp://www.http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...on-over-Dimmer...
*:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I have heard that there are dimmers available that will work with
conventional CFLs and don't require the special dimmable CFLs, but I
have yet
to find one that clearly states it will work this way.
Does anyone here know about such a dimmer?

There is no confusion. You can't dim a CFL without damaging it. Been
there, done that. Life expectancy of a CFL bulb behind a dimmer is about
3-4 hours.

Including the CFL's specifically marked as dimmable? I thought that
type were dimmable, though only to like about half their full
brightness.

I've never heard of a dimmer that will work with a std CFL and don't
see how it would even be possible.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 07:23:25a, told us...

On Apr 27, 10:07*am, (DA) wrote:
DA had written this in response

tohttp://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/main
tenance/Confusion-over-Dimmer... *:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
I have heard that there are dimmers available that will work with
conventional CFLs and don't require the special dimmable CFLs, but I
have yet
to find one that clearly states it will work this way.
Does anyone here know about such a dimmer?

There is no confusion. You can't dim a CFL without damaging it. Been
there, done that. Life expectancy of a CFL bulb behind a dimmer is about
3-4 hours.

Including the CFL's specifically marked as dimmable? I thought that
type were dimmable, though only to like about half their full
brightness.

I've never heard of a dimmer that will work with a std CFL and don't
see how it would even be possible.

Actually, I'm not sure I believe it either, but I was told that by the
manager of the electrical department in a big box store. He said they used
to carry them, that as long as the balast in the CFL was an electronic
balast (he also said most of them are), that this particular dimmer would
work with them. He couldn't remember the brand of the dimmer.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 16hrs 10mins
L'etat c'est Moe. All the world's a stooge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have heard that there are dimmers available that will work with
conventional CFLs and don't require the special dimmable CFLs, but I have yet
to find one that clearly states it will work this way.

Does anyone here know about such a dimmer?

There are special fixtures for cfls that allow them to be dimmed.
On the other hand, there are special cfls that allow them to be
dimmed with a standard dimmer. You need to get the right
combination for either to work correctly.

http://www.pathnet.org/sp.asp?id=23506

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/...pact_fluor.pdf

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 08:08:26a, Robert Allison told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have heard that there are dimmers available that will work with
conventional CFLs and don't require the special dimmable CFLs, but I
have yet to find one that clearly states it will work this way.

Does anyone here know about such a dimmer?

There are special fixtures for cfls that allow them to be dimmed.
On the other hand, there are special cfls that allow them to be
dimmed with a standard dimmer. You need to get the right
combination for either to work correctly.

http://www.pathnet.org/sp.asp?id=23506

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/...pact_fluor.pdf

Thanks, Robert.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 15hrs 25mins
Evolution doesn't take prisoners.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:07 am, (DA) wrote:
Including the CFL's specifically marked as dimmable? I thought that
type were dimmable, though only to like about half their full
brightness.

I've never heard of a dimmer that will work with a std CFL and don't
see how it would even be possible.

Actually, I'm not sure I believe it either, but I was told that by the
manager of the electrical department in a big box store. He said
they used to carry them, that as long as the balast in the CFL was an
electronic balast (he also said most of them are), that this
particular dimmer would work with them. He couldn't remember the
brand of the dimmer.

Honestly, what do people need dimmers for *really*?

If you want the light on, turn it on, if you want the light off, turn it
off, and if you want "atmosphere" light some candles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have heard that there are dimmers available that will work with
conventional CFLs and don't require the special dimmable CFLs, but I
have yet to find one that clearly states it will work this way.

Does anyone here know about such a dimmer?

There are special fixtures for cfls that allow them to be dimmed.
On the other hand, there are special cfls that allow them to be
dimmed with a standard dimmer. You need to get the right
combination for either to work correctly.

http://www.pathnet.org/sp.asp?id=23506

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/...pact_fluor.pdf

Thanks, Robert.

Your welcome. In addition to the other information, I will give
you this;

If you invest in the special fixtures (I have been involved with
these mostly in can lights) and install them, you will come out
ahead financially. Although the dimmable on board ballasts cost
more than standard can lights, you only have to buy them once.

The bulbs that carry their own onboard ballast that makes them
dimmable are way more (about 20 bucks a piece) than standard
cfls. Since you are going to have to change them over the years,
you will save over and over by going with the dimmable fixtures.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

One more reason CFLs SUCK!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 09:02:12a, Robert Allison told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Coincidentally, that's exactly what I want to dim. I have 12 recessed cans
in my kitchen, each with a 23 watt conventional screw-in CFL. Full power
is ideal when I'm doing a lot of cooking and cleanup (which is usually at
night), but there are many times when I wish I could dim them when I don't
need that much light.

The bulbs that carry their own onboard ballast that makes them
dimmable are way more (about 20 bucks a piece) than standard
cfls. Since you are going to have to change them over the years,
you will save over and over by going with the dimmable fixtures.

Yes, I found out just how expensive when I first looked for the CFLs, and
didn't buy the dimmable units because of the price and the rumor? that they
didn't always perform well at dimming.

I suppose the best choice is to just bite the bullet and replace the cans
with dimmable models. I will have to find suitable retrofit models, as it
is a vaulted ceiling with no crawl space above to work from.

I appreciate all your input!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 13hrs 45mins
He's not dead, Jim, he's just
metabolically challenged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Actually, they are a little more ....
not $20 more or not even $20 for a dimmable
CFL. I paid about $8 for the dimmable
CFLs that I have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 10:41:48a, Art Todesco told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

How well do they work? What was your source? Are they reflector
flood/spot lights? What wattage?

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 13hrs 15mins
Schizophrenia beats dining alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In 8s1Rj.361$lc6.109@trnddc04, Robert Allison wrote in part:

If you invest in the special fixtures (I have been involved with
these mostly in can lights) and install them, you will come out
ahead financially. Although the dimmable on board ballasts cost
more than standard can lights, you only have to buy them once.

The bulbs that carry their own onboard ballast that makes them
dimmable are way more (about 20 bucks a piece) than standard
cfls. Since you are going to have to change them over the years,
you will save over and over by going with the dimmable fixtures.

Although it is true that fixtures with dimming ballasts are better in
the long run than disposable dimming ballasts in the bulbs, the latter is
getting more widely available and affordable. A month or two ago,
dimmable screw-base CFLs were about $15 at Target.

I expect that CFL fixtures with dimming ballasts and that take pin-base
CFLs are also getting more affordable, as production ramps up to meet
various energy efficiency mandates.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In 4, W. Boatwright said:

[...]

Keep in mind that fixtures with ballasts take a specific model or
limited range of specific models of pin-base ballastless CFLs.

I advise to get one that takes a more common and industry standard bulb,
such as 13 watt twintube (F13TT, AKA PL-13)
or 13 watt quadtube (F13DTT, AKA PLC-13)
or 26 watt quadtube (F26DTT, AKA PLC-26).

Any other bulb should be one that is available at home centers and is
available under the "Big 3" brands (GE, Philips or Sylvania - preferably
in the online catalogs of all 3, though model numbers may vary slightly).

Personally, I have been most impressed with CFL recessed ceiling
fixtures if they take 13 watt twintubes or doubletwintubes over 13 watts,
two bulbs per fixture, with the bulbs in a horizontal position. Also, I
have found 26 watt doubletwintubes to be nice and especially
impressively bright.

The more common sizes (13 watt twintube and 26 watt doubletwintube
especially) are available in different colors, though home centers
normally don't carry all available colors.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 11:24:48a, Don Klipstein told us...

[...]

Thanks for the info, Don.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 11hrs 40mins
I never remember a face, but I always
forget a name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 11:37:57a, Don Klipstein told us...

In 4, W. Boatwright
said:

[...]

Also very good information. Since I'm faced with replacing 12 recessed
cans, I may give those less expensive screw-in CFLs a try first. I'm not
looking forward to the expense and effort required to replace those cans,
especially since I have no access from above.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 11hrs 40mins
I never remember a face, but I always
forget a name.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In 4, Wayne Boatwright
wrote in part:

Also very good information. Since I'm faced with replacing 12 recessed
cans, I may give those less expensive screw-in CFLs a try first. I'm not
looking forward to the expense and effort required to replace those cans,
especially since I have no access from above.

One more thing to watch out for when using CFLs in recessed cans: Heat.

CFLs are paradoxically more efficient at producing non-radiant heat than
incandescents, despite also being more efficient at producing light.
(What CFLs produce less of is infrared - becomes heat, but mostly outside
the fixture.)

CFLs don't withstand heat as well as incandescents do. In screw-base
ones, their ballast electronics can get cooked all too easily.

If you start having screw-base CFLs not specifically rated for
recessed ceiling fixtures dying young, it's probably another reason to
get fixtures that have ballasts and take ballastless CFLs.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 12:50:43p, Don Klipstein told us...

In 4, Wayne Boatwright
wrote in part:

[...]

Thanks, Don, understood. What I have presently are 12 CFL 23 watt floods
installed in recessed cans (no covers). They're conventional, not
dimmable, and they've been in regular use for about a year and a half with
no problem. I presume there's sufficient venting to prevent the
overheating problem. Also, I would guess that since they are floodlight
configuration, they were expected to be used in can lights. The same with
out outdoor floodlights.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 10hrs 40mins
Make like a Tom and Cruise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

They don't dim well .... by that I mean
they do flicker quite a bit. If lucky, you
can find a sweet spot where they don't
flicker too much. I was using X10 to
do the dimming; a real dimmer might work
better. They were the standard
twist lamp and were pretty bright, I'm
guessing 20 some watts. I got them at the
local Menards home center.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 09:06:12p, Art Todesco told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Art. I might buy one to try, and I would be using a regular
dimmer. At least I'd learn if they were acceptable to me. I don't think
I'd like the flicker, though. I'd be getting a floodlight configuration,
but it's still a twist lamp just enclosed in a floodlamp shaped exterior.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Rogation Sunday
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 2hrs 25mins
That which is not forbidden is mandatory.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2008 9:06 PM Art Todesco spake thus:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 10:41:48a, Art Todesco told us...

How well do they work? What was your source? Are they reflector
flood/spot lights? What wattage?

They don't dim well .... by that I mean
they do flicker quite a bit. If lucky, you
can find a sweet spot where they don't
flicker too much. I was using X10 to
do the dimming; a real dimmer might work
better. They were the standard
twist lamp and were pretty bright, I'm
guessing 20 some watts. I got them at the
local Menards home center.

Reading this, along with several other responses regarding CFLs on
dimmers, makes me agree with whoever it was here who said, basically,
"Forget about dimmers; who needs them?". Hopefully in the
not-too-distant future, interior light dimmers will have gone the way of
the lava lamp and the color organ. There's really nothing that lights on
dimmers can offer that can't be done better (and cheaper) by good
lighting design to begin with.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Bit OT. CFLs revisited. Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 69 January 18th 08 12:59 AM
CFLs - switching on and off [email protected] UK diy 60 August 21st 07 12:19 PM
CFLs - switching on and off [email protected] Home Repair 59 August 21st 07 12:19 PM
CFLs Home Repair 1 January 15th 07 06:22 AM
dimmer swicthes and CFLs [email protected] UK diy 4 September 28th 05 01:22 PM