Posted to alt.home.repair
ps56k[_2_] ps56k[_2_] is offline

Default CFLs and dimmers

"Red Green" wrote in message
"ps56k" wrote in
:

hi -
Just happen to stumble cross a webpage
discussing CFLs and dimmers... -
but still confused
http://www.dimmablecfls.com/index.html

We have been gradually replacing bulbs with CFLs around our house.
There are a couple situations still to be addressed - dimmable lamps -

I have seen a few "dimmable CFLs" on the market
vs the racks of "standard CFLs"

#1 - what is internally different, that makes them dimmable ?

#2 - noticed the hardware stores have "CFL dimmers"
along with "normal dimmers"
again - what's different between
these two different labelled dimmers ?

Does a CFL dimmer - dim a normal CFL,
or require a dimmable CFL ?

It might help to have a mtarix -
and maybe explain any technical differences,
unless it's just "marketing" to this new area.....

tnx for any info & education -

Dimmable CFL Standard CFL Incan
CFL Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
Normal Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1990's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?
1980's Dimmer Y/N ? Y/N ? Y/N ?

Some additional info to the Harrison reply.

http://www.lutron.com/Education-Trai...LsandLEDs.aspx

tnx for the Lutron link -
So what's different about a CFL dimmer vs the good old simple Variac
switcher ?
And what is the Lutron HED technology - not really explained, except in
consumer-speak ?