Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmers

Anyone know if a three gang switch exists where two are normal switches &
one is a dimmer?

Searched TLC to no avail.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Anyone know if a three gang switch exists where two are normal switches &
one is a dimmer?

Searched TLC to no avail.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I think you will have to go for grid switches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Anyone know if a three gang switch exists where two are normal switches &
one is a dimmer?

You can make one up using the MK gridswitch system.
Use the 3 modules in a double width box mouting frame
and facia. Won't be cheap, but MK are known for their
high quality dimmers.

Just typed the parts into a CPC order form...

PL00673 1 K4501WHI GRID PLUS DIMMER SWITCH £33.00
PL00653 2 K4882WHI GRID PLUS SWITCH MODULE - 2 WAY £2.68 x 2
PL00639 1 K3633WHI GRID PLUS - 2 GANG/3 WAY PLATE £2.60
PL00646 1 K3703 GRID PLUS - 3 WAY PLATE £1.63

CPC also do a grid system by RPP which gets 3 modules
into a single width box. I have them in my living room,
and I had to replace the switches after about 5 years
as they fell apart (and they're only switching 12V 1mA
signal wires in my case).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 23:17:34 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Anyone know if a three gang switch exists where two are normal switches &
one is a dimmer?

Slightly bigger, but MK (inter alia) do a 'double' surface box that is
exactly that - takes two single switch plates. On can be a dimmer, other
can be a double switch. Neater than two single switches but may not meet
your requirement.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes

CPC also do a grid system by RPP which gets 3 modules
into a single width box. I have them in my living room,
and I had to replace the switches after about 5 years
as they fell apart (and they're only switching 12V 1mA
signal wires in my case).

How has your reliability of switching been with the low current and
voltage on mains rated switches? I have been worried about oxidised
contacts unless say a hundred mA or so was available to keep them clean
at low voltage.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone know if a three gang switch exists where two are normal switches &
one is a dimmer?

Searched TLC to no avail.

well Ive got one like this, One of the triacs went tits up, so its just
a switch now ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred writes:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes

CPC also do a grid system by RPP which gets 3 modules
into a single width box. I have them in my living room,
and I had to replace the switches after about 5 years
as they fell apart (and they're only switching 12V 1mA
signal wires in my case).

How has your reliability of switching been with the low current and
voltage on mains rated switches? I have been worried about oxidised
contacts unless say a hundred mA or so was available to keep them clean
at low voltage.

That hasn't been an issue so far. Most of my switchs are
MK ones which have also been fine -- just that MK don't
offer a 3-module grid in a single plate size.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
That hasn't been an issue so far. Most of my switchs are
MK ones which have also been fine -- just that MK don't
offer a 3-module grid in a single plate size.

I'm not surprised. The beauty of a grid system is the variety of modules
offered - and I doubt you could offer the same range if you restricted the
width to where 3 would fit on a single gang plate. Especially with dimmers.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
fred writes:

How has your reliability of switching been with the low current and
voltage on mains rated switches? I have been worried about oxidised
contacts unless say a hundred mA or so was available to keep them clean
at low voltage.

That hasn't been an issue so far. Most of my switchs are
MK ones which have also been fine -- just that MK don't
offer a 3-module grid in a single plate size.

That's useful to know, thanks.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Jan, 23:17, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Anyone know if a three gang switch exists where two are normal switches &
one is a dimmer?

Searched TLC to no avail.

Swap two of the dimmer modules out of a 3-gang dimmer with a switch-
only module:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLSM.html

Of course you'll end up with two spare dimmer modules but these are
handy things to have as spares anyway.

I would suggest ensuring the dimmers are the push on/off type in order
to make all switches function in the same fashion.

Mathew