Keith D

Default MK dimmers v the others

Hi,
I have just returned an MK £27 2 Gang 2 Way (single gang plate) white
dimmer to B&Q as I thought it was more than I needed. It was one that could
handle low voltage stuff but it added £15 to the cost from what I could see.
Anyway, after getting the refund I proceeded not to be able to find a 2G 2W
MK white dimmer just for mains halogen. I was a bit puzzled since the B&Q
'Varilight'? range had both options plus the soft start facility. I'm
trawling the Internet at the moment having trouble finding any sign of an MK
dimmer other than the expensive one! It has made me think of a couple of
questions : Are MK worth the trouble ? For no particular reason I've
convinced myself that I should buy MK and only MK. Also, what other brands
can the group recommend - ideally a quality build with a nice smooth action.
The varilight ones are a tad too loose. Is there such a thing as a decent
white 2G 2W single plate soft start mains only dimmer - it's not too much to
ask :-) ? ... or am I going to have to brave the crowds again and
purchase the originally returned unit once more ? Is there a website that
you guys 'n' gals can recommend that sells absolutely every switch known to
man. I've already tried TLC-Direct and no joy there I'm afraid.

Thanks for any help,
Keith

Andy Hall

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:53:32 +0100, "Keith D" munged @ munged . com
wrote:

[...]

I used MK grid type modular dimmers (4500 series) and switches for my
kitchen, one for each group of mains or LV halogens of HF mini
fluorescents as appropriate.

The dimmers soft start and the advantage of the grid arrangement is
that you can have whatever arrangement of switches you like.

I standardised on using MK wiring accessories some while ago and
rarely buy anything else - I do think that the extra cost is
worthwhile. Having said that, I don't buy from B&Q but from an
electrical wholesaler where I have been able to get them to sharpen
their pencils on pricing.

Another aspect is that the designs are around for quite a long time.
I don't trust store brands, simply because they will change vendor at
the drop of a hat, making it impossible to match existing fittings.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Keith D

wrote:

[...]

I wish I could afford to standardise on MK! They are the Rolls Royce of
electrical gear - I have to use Vymark - more like Ford Cortinas. Could be
worse, my local wholesaler has started supplying a make which must remain
nameless (we're fitting hundreds on several sites) which would give Lada a
good name!

Thanks for the replies. Is there an on-line shop that sells the full MK
dimmer range or am I going to have to go back to B&Q to re-purchase the
original over-specified dimmer :-( ? Is there a mains only downlighter
double dimmer from MK or am I going to have to buy the LV capable one ?

Keith

Keith D

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:06:01 +0100, "Keith D" munged @ munged . com
wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Is there an on-line shop that sells the full MK
dimmer range or am I going to have to go back to B&Q to re-purchase the
original over-specified dimmer :-( ? Is there a mains only downlighter
double dimmer from MK or am I going to have to buy the LV capable one ?

Keith

You can try TLC Direct, but may be able to get a better price at a
wholesaler like WF Electrical.

If you want the white plastic Logic appearance, you can either buy
them on standard plates or as Grid modules.

K1501 WHI LV 60-500W single, soft start
K1521 WHI LV 40-300W single, soft start
K1522 WHI LV 40-300W double, soft start

The above will work with mains lamps or LV via transformer and are
2way

There are corresponding K1533, K1534, K1535 which are for mains only
and no soft start.

There are versions of these in most of the main metal plate product
ranges as well such as Grosvenor, Albany, Savoy, etc.

In the Grid system, there are

K4501 WHI LV 40-220W soft start
K4500 WHI LV 60-400W soft start.

Both are 2 way. K4501 is one module wide, and K4500 is two wide.

In addition you need to buy frames and cover plates of your choice.

The one and two module plates have the same area as a standard plate
light switch, while three and four module plates have the same area as
a power socket.

If you want to go for a larger number of switches or mix them, you can
get plates of up to 24 modules. I used an 8 way for my kitchen,
which is roughly the same size as two power sockets, one above the
other.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Thanks Andy. I'll have a good look at these.

Keith

Rick Hughes

I wish I could afford to standardise on MK! They are the Rolls Royce of
electrical gear - I have to use Vymark - more like Ford Cortinas. Could be
worse, my local wholesaler has started supplying a make which must remain
nameless (we're fitting hundreds on several sites) which would give Lada a
good name!

Inteterseting - as I have had a LOT of failaure of MK dimmers - they still
work as switches but fail to dim.

Rick

Andy Hall

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:11:49 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

I wish I could afford to standardise on MK! They are the Rolls Royce of
electrical gear - I have to use Vymark - more like Ford Cortinas. Could be
worse, my local wholesaler has started supplying a make which must remain
nameless (we're fitting hundreds on several sites) which would give Lada a
good name!

Inteterseting - as I have had a LOT of failaure of MK dimmers - they still
work as switches but fail to dim.

Rick

Curious. WHich one? They do have a 10 year warranty.......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
The Natural Philosopher

Rick Hughes wrote:

I wish I could afford to standardise on MK! They are the Rolls Royce of
electrical gear - I have to use Vymark - more like Ford Cortinas. Could be
worse, my local wholesaler has started supplying a make which must remain
nameless (we're fitting hundreds on several sites) which would give Lada a
good name!

Inteterseting - as I have had a LOT of failaure of MK dimmers - they still
work as switches but fail to dim.

Yes. Had this with non MK dimmers. Candle bulbs arc over when they go
and rip the triac guts apart. Replace with bigger triac.

MK don't do electronics I think - the dimmer modules are probably bought
in by them from elsewhere.

In reality you need a 20A plus triac to control e.g. a 2A load So the
MCB trip goes before the triac, not the oher way about.

Rick

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:25:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

In reality you need a 20A plus triac to control e.g. a 2A load So
the MCB trip goes before the triac, not the oher way about.

This is just Murphys Law in action.

Section 14
Part 4
Rule 12b
"Any semiconductor device protected by an MCB will protect the MCB by
failing first."

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

IMM

Rick Hughes wrote:

[...]

Who makes the 20A triac units?

---

Christian McArdle

Also, what other brands can the group recommend - ideally a quality
build with a nice smooth action.

I use Crabtree. I would have used MK, but they don't their standard double
socket with the switches in the right place with dual earth and DP switches.
If you want Sec607/DP, you have to have the switches outboard, which looks
rank. Even like for like, I think the Crabtree ones look better than MK
anyway.

They have good action on the switches. My only gripe is that the screw
terminals are at an angle, which requires a very specifically sized and
shaped screwdriver to tighten up so that the driver doesn't foul the casing.

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

In reality you need a 20A plus triac to control e.g. a 2A load So the

This will also increase the minimum load the dimmer can dim
correctly. However, it won't increase the maximum load, which
is governed by heat dissipation, not size of triac (you will
find all dimmers are fitted with triacs which can handle much
more current than the rating written on the dimmer).

MCB trip goes before the triac, not the oher way about.

An MCB takes half a mains cycle to trip. It depends what the
prospective short circuit current is at that point in the
circuit, and if the triac can take that for half a mains
cycle. A larger one is more likely to, but it's not a dead
cert. For an (expensive) X10 DIN rail mounting dimmer, I have
put a (cheap) 3A (B3) MCB next to it. The dimmer has had no
problems, but then I don't know if it would have without the
MCB. The MCB trips in preference to the dimmers 3A fuse.
The MCB protects only the light on that dimmer -- you don't
want a B3 MCB protecting a whole lighting circuit.

--
Andrew Gabriel