Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adhesive for wall tile in a shower

On Jul 19, 5:19*am, Uno wrote:
On 7/18/2011 8:26 PM, gpsman wrote:

The substrate of shower walls is not the cause of leaks, or structure
movement, or settling, or a preventative measure against same.

So, gps, let me see if I understand your position, because I suspect
there is nuance that I haven't found yet.

Assumption 1) *You understand that there is no way that I'm gonna rip
out my drywall,

I suspected as much.

I'm
mortified when I make mistakes.

I hear ya.

Let me ask you a simple question: have I screwed myself by using treated
drywall in a surround 1/2 shower with no door, and with the first foot
of it being durocked, and with the transitions covered with tape and
thinset on the bottom and with exposed tape over joint compound in the
detail portions up higher?

Not yet.

You've got rock in the most critical area. A good tile/grout/caulk/
paint job ought to hold you there for 20 years, anyway.

The next weakest area, IMO, would be the drywall above the tile, due
to splashing and/or condensation. I think it's important to use a
good paint down to 6-12" below the tile line first, then tile over the
paint.

You probably won't live to see any warranty issues...

Good luck!
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 7:39*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
gpsman wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:48 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Uno wrote:
How, precisely, does everyone think this drywall will fail? Will the
paper tear off? Will the bond between the adhesive and the paper
fail? Mold? Mildew? Torsion forces as the house sway?

Water will get to it

It will get mushy

The bond of the tile to it will fail

When called upon to support your assertion, simply reasserting it
suggests you're a k00k.

And your reply suggests that you have a reading comprehension problem.

Yeah, so I'm told...

He
didn't ask for substantiation, he asked questions which I answered.

"The air got out of it" is not much of an answer to "Why did my tire
go flat?"
-----

- gpsman