Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower Stall WALL and FLOOR Tile - Mortar or Adhesive???

Finishing up getting all the prep work done in a total rebuild of a
tile shower stall over slab in Florida block home. Picking out wall
and floor tile and being sort of new at this we have some questions.
We're going to use the MAPEI Aqua-Defense in the base and up part of
the walls to seal well and it's a base for the tile. Our main
question is which is better to use, mortar or tile adhesive for
mounting the wall tiles? We've done floor tiling but on the wall we
can see the tile possibly "settling" after some of it's up if we just
do mortar mounting. But the adhesive looks like it would leave gaps
or air space between the cement board and the tile.

Suggestions?

And any recommendations on what the best mortar/adhesive is to use for
the wall and the floor? And what about the grout and the sealer?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

GREAT ADVICE! The MAPEI Aqua-Defense is a a complete sealing coating
you put down on the base before you install the tile. It's supposed
to prevent any moisture or water the makes it's way thru cracks or
whatever in the grout or tile from getting into the foundation under
the shower. Kind of like a liquid shower liner except you can tile
right on top of it.

http://www.mapei.it/CMS/Template/_ve...LAN=EC&ID=3652

As far as mounting the tile, this is I believe what we've been using,
MAPEI Ultraflex 2.

http://www.northlandconstruction.com...ch%20sheet.pdf

We also already have a bucket of the cross plastic tile spacers but we
weren't sure if the gape (I believe 3/16" or so) was proper for shower
tiles as what was in there hardly had any spacing between the tiles.

Thanks for the help :O)