Default wall tile adhesive for floor tiles?

I have a load of wall tile adhesive left over after tiling the kitchen
wall and am about to start tiling the floor. Is there any reason why I
cant use the same adhesive for the floor tiles. The container just
says it is for wall tiles, and does not mention floors at all.

I could imagine that it would not be possible to use floor tile
adhesive on wall tiles, as the tiles need to be held in place while the
adhesive sets, but wondered if the opposite were true.

Dave.

Christian McArdle

I could imagine that it would not be possible to use floor tile
adhesive on wall tiles, as the tiles need to be held in place while the
adhesive sets, but wondered if the opposite were true.

No. A quick read of the recent thread "tiling on wooden floors" will
indicate the need for a good floor tiling adhesive.

I would recommend Ardex Flex 7001 Timber System for a wooden floor, and
Ardex Flex 6001 for concrete.

Christian.

I have a load of wall tile adhesive left over after tiling the kitchen
wall and am about to start tiling the floor. Is there any reason why I
cant use the same adhesive for the floor tiles. The container just
says it is for wall tiles, and does not mention floors at all.

There are a number of issues here. Depending on the material the floor
is made of, drying out to survive foot traffic may take days to weeks.
With cement-based adhesives foot traffic will be possible within no
more than 24 hours and there at least two quick-setting adhesives which
are trafficable within 2 hours. They naturally have a pot life (time
from mixing with water to initial set) of about 30 minutes, so mix
small batches and only take breaks when you have finished a batch.

http://www.axp.mdx ac.uk/~john49/tilefaq.htm

May also be helpful. If you go to the main menu (linked at the bottom),
you will find some other FAQs which may prove useful.

John Schmitt

Thanks for the help - I guess I will have to buy some more adhesive.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for the help - I guess I will have to buy some more adhesive.

Cheers,

Dave.

The Natural Philosopher

Christian McArdle wrote:

I could imagine that it would not be possible to use floor tile
adhesive on wall tiles, as the tiles need to be held in place while the
adhesive sets, but wondered if the opposite were true.

No. A quick read of the recent thread "tiling on wooden floors" will
indicate the need for a good floor tiling adhesive.

I would recommend Ardex Flex 7001 Timber System for a wooden floor, and
Ardex Flex 6001 for concrete.

Christian.

Seconded.

how to remove cement / adhesive from ceramic tile before re-attaching it to floor Alan Home Repair 10 December 18th 08 04:38 AM
Flexible tile adhesive E UK diy 0 September 27th 04 07:09 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Tiling Shower Area - adhesive spreading and tile cutting problems JohnB UK diy 7 July 20th 03 10:43 AM