Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall Tile Adhesive

Hi Folks,

I hope that somebody can help me with this problem.

In the bathroom of my Uncle's house 2 colums of tiles buckled and I pulled
them off before they fell. I would like to put them back on the wall as
they are in good order, except that they have the tile adhesive on the back
of them.

Is there any easy way of getting this adhesive off? I tried a bit of
scraping but I did not want to put too much pressure on the tile in case it
cracked. Is there any way of softening the adhesive?

Many thanks

Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:49:46 GMT, Jack wrote:

Hi Folks,

I hope that somebody can help me with this problem.

In the bathroom of my Uncle's house 2 colums of tiles buckled and I pulled
them off before they fell. I would like to put them back on the wall as
they are in good order, except that they have the tile adhesive on the back
of them.

Is there any easy way of getting this adhesive off? I tried a bit of
scraping but I did not want to put too much pressure on the tile in case it
cracked. Is there any way of softening the adhesive?

I had exactly the same thing happen in my bathroom the other day.
Although I have a quantity of spare tiles I thought I might try to
reuse the old ones (to save a lot of cutting if nothing else!).

I simply soaked the tiles (face down) in cold water for a couple of
hours, and the adhesive came away quite easily with a scraper and a
nailbrush.

Obviously it'll all depend on the type of adhesive.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack wrote:
Hi Folks,

I hope that somebody can help me with this problem.

In the bathroom of my Uncle's house 2 colums of tiles buckled and I pulled
them off before they fell. I would like to put them back on the wall as
they are in good order, except that they have the tile adhesive on the back
of them.

Is there any easy way of getting this adhesive off? I tried a bit of
scraping but I did not want to put too much pressure on the tile in case it
cracked. Is there any way of softening the adhesive?

Many thanks

Jack

Try soaking them in hot water and detergent for a couple of hours
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Jack wrote:
Hi Folks,

I hope that somebody can help me with this problem.

In the bathroom of my Uncle's house 2 colums of tiles buckled and I
pulled them off before they fell. I would like to put them back on
the wall as they are in good order, except that they have the tile
adhesive on the back of them.

Is there any easy way of getting this adhesive off? I tried a bit of
scraping but I did not want to put too much pressure on the tile in
case it cracked. Is there any way of softening the adhesive?

Many thanks

Jack

Try soaking them in hot water and detergent for a couple of hours

As above, soak or steam it off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall Tile Adhesive - A thank you

Jack wrote:
Hi Folks,

I hope that somebody can help me with this problem.

In the bathroom of my Uncle's house 2 colums of tiles buckled and I
pulled them off before they fell. I would like to put them back on
the wall as they are in good order, except that they have the tile
adhesive on the back of them.

Is there any easy way of getting this adhesive off? I tried a bit of
scraping but I did not want to put too much pressure on the tile in
case it cracked. Is there any way of softening the adhesive?

Many thanks

Jack

Many thanks for the suggestions guys - I should be able to try them this
weekend.

Regards

Jack

Which tile adhesive? F UK diy 5 February 20th 07 09:38 AM
Tile adhesive F UK diy 3 February 14th 06 09:56 AM
wall tile adhesive for floor tiles? [email protected] UK diy 6 August 2nd 05 12:17 PM
Which is the best tile adhesive john Smith UK diy 6 February 20th 05 10:01 PM
Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive SledgehammerSteve UK diy 12 December 22nd 03 04:16 PM