Old February 25th 11, 10:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting tile adhesive off a plaster wall

I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

Old February 25th 11, 11:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 10:36, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

The hd scraper can be pretty effective for that sort of thing. It's the
impact rather than the amount of pressure, so a tap with a hammer often
helps.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530/...y-Duty-Scraper

Nitromors should work in principle since it will dissolve the resin that
holds the adhesive together, but it might take an awful lot of it to eat
through ridges of the stuff
Old February 25th 11, 11:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:36*am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? *The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. *Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

No, plaster over it.

NT
Old February 25th 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:36*am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? *The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. *Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

You can get tile adhesive off old tiles by soaking them in water and
scraping. It might be possible to sponge it and let the water soak
into the adhesive and then scrape it off.

Jonathan
Old February 25th 11, 12:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Keefiedee writes:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

It will depend how modern a tile adhesive it is. There's pretty much
no chance to get modern adhesive off as it's much stronger and more
resilient than plaster, so the plaster will break away. Very old tile
adhesives were not as strong, but mostly they were still stronger
than the plaster. You will probably need to reskim (unless you are
tiling again, in which case small bits of missing plaster won't
matter, although large areas might).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Old February 25th 11, 12:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

It simply is not worth even trying.

Hack it off as best you can (or leave it) and re-skim.

TIA

Keith

Old February 25th 11, 12:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
[...]

What resin wiould that be?

Most wall tile adhesives are cement or gypsum based.
Old February 25th 11, 12:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:36 am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

You can get tile adhesive off old tiles by soaking them in water and
scraping. It might be possible to sponge it and let the water soak
into the adhesive and then scrape it off.

Only some cements are water soluble.

Many are not.

Jonathan

Old February 25th 11, 03:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 12:40 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

You can get tile adhesive off old tiles by soaking them in water and
scraping. It might be possible to sponge it and let the water soak
into the adhesive and then scrape it off.

Only some cements are water soluble.

Many are not.

so worth a try then...

Jim K
Old February 25th 11, 03:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:36*am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall?

Depends on the adhesive. Old adhesives are fairly water soluble,
sufficient that you can soften them with a wet sponge and scrape.

More modern adhesives are often somewhat water resistant (and these
won't soak off old tiles either, unless you use weak acid). These need
to be shifted mechanically. Tile setter's abrasive mesh is quite good,
but you need to make a wooden sanding block for it. Also a "brick
stone", a coarse abrasive block with teeth cut across its face. Your
problem here is that the plaster substrate is softer than the tile
adhesive.

Try soaking. Most tile adhesive is still usefully water soluble (it's
the grouts that are really waterproof).

Plaster tile adhesive NT[_2_] UK diy 4 August 24th 09 08:46 AM
Removing wall tile adhesive geraldthehamster UK diy 12 February 29th 08 09:16 AM
Wall tile adhesive. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 15 February 4th 08 07:27 PM
Wall Tile Adhesive Jack UK diy 4 January 9th 08 12:21 AM
wall tile adhesive for floor tiles? [email protected] UK diy 6 August 2nd 05 12:17 PM