Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default new shower glass door installed- company put on a special coating on glass

I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will
prevent scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass it
will bead off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still is
a 'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is
this? is this a defect?
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will
prevent scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass it
will bead off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still is
a 'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is
this? is this a defect?
Thanks

what did the installing company say when you asked them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
KOS wrote:

I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will
prevent scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass it
will bead off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still is
a 'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is
this? is this a defect?
Thanks

what did the company that installed it say?
Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On Jun 14, 2:04*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article ,

*KOS wrote:
I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will
prevent scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass it
will bead off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still is
a 'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is
this? is this a defect?
Thanks

what did the company that installed it say?

Just had it installed.. I have not yet called them.. Anyone have any
experience with the sealer that glass companies put on shower doors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
On Jun 14, 2:04 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article
,

KOS wrote:
I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will
prevent scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass
it will bead off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still
is a 'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is
this? is this a defect?
Thanks

what did the company that installed it say?

Just had it installed.. I have not yet called them.. Anyone have any
experience with the sealer that glass companies put on shower doors?

the installer does. that should be your first call. we have no idea what
they used. we weren't there, and i can't see it from where i'm sitting.
perhaps if you hold it a little to the left?

there are many coatings this could be. glass doesn't need a sealer, since
it's not porous. there may be some coating, and that could be darn near
anything. it's 'probably' something similar to rain-x, but there's no way to
for us to tell.

what did the company that installed it say when you called them?

Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

On Jun 14, 3:34*pm, "chaniarts" wrote:
KOS wrote:
On Jun 14, 2:04 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article
,

KOS wrote:
[...]

what did the company that installed it say when you called them?- Hide quoted text -

I have not called the installer just yet... I will be doing that..
However, they did not do the coating..they, upon buying the glass,
said the company/manufacturer puts on this "sealer' or coating at the
factory
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
On Jun 14, 2:04 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article
,

KOS wrote:
[...]

if the installer bought the glass, the installer is responsible for the
product. it is their responsibility to answer your questions. if they don't
have answers for you, it is their responsibity to find the answers to your
satisfaction. if it is defective, they are responsible for replacing it. if
you are unhappy with the product, then you can either withhold final payment
until you are satisfied, or take them to small claims court.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will
prevent scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass it
will bead off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still is
a 'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is
this? is this a defect?
Thanks

Try this link: http://tinyurl.com/3qn33t7 .

I don't really know the answer, but I thought the above link was cool and
would help.

Here are three of the results that came up:

http://www.coastalglassdist.com/prod...howerguard.php

http://www.coastalglassdist.com/prod...structions.pdf

http://kitchen-remodeling-pictures.c...or-coating.htm

Hope this helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:58:37 -0700, KOS wrote:

I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will prevent
scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass it will bead
off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still is a
'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is this? is
this a defect?
Thanks

Microfiber what? You may have damaged the coating. You should only wipe
it off with a towel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 5:33*pm, Dbdblocker wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:58:37 -0700, KOS wrote:
I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will prevent
scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass it will bead
off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still is a
'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is this? is
this a defect?
Thanks

Microfiber what? *You may have damaged the coating. You should only wipe
it off with a towel.

All these hard to keep clean glass showers and doors, just create
maintence headaches

not wworth it if you ask me

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 14, 12:58*pm, KOS wrote:
I just had a new glass shower door installed... The company where I
bought the glass door said they put on a sealer so that it will
prevent scum from accumulating.. They say when water hits the glass it
will bead off like rainx..
I noticed that when I clean the glass with a microfiber there still is
a 'film' or shadow, almost looks like 'specks'.. what the heck is
this? is this a defect?
Thanks

Don't know what specs are. Shower guard? Crystal fusion?

Cost me $200 to get windshield treatment. Said it helps prevent
cracks.
The reason I had it done, I almost wrecked when a truck flung a huge
amount of mud water on my windshield. Even though I use some rainx, I
was just stunned for a few second driving down a narrow river road.

Greg