Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen design: Can Dishwasher go next to stove?

I'm doing a layout of a new kitchen in a condo. One idea I had was to
put the dishwasher next to the stove, but then I was wondering, when
we put the granite countertop, where would the countertop rest on
where the DW and stove meet? Seems I would have to put in some kind of
support or filler in between to support it.
Has anyone ever done it like this, or should a base cabinet be put
between the stove and dishwasher?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 9:58*am, Mikepier wrote:
I'm doing a layout of a new kitchen in a condo. One idea I had was to
put the dishwasher next to the stove, but then I was wondering, when
we put the granite countertop, where would the countertop rest on
where the DW and stove meet? Seems I would have to put in some kind of
support or filler in between to support it.
Has anyone ever done it like this, or should a base cabinet be put
between the stove and dishwasher?

You would need support. You could do it with a piece of wood and a
small piece of vertical front. I just buy the same kind of wood as
the cabinets and stain and seal that sort of stuff myself but you can
usually get pieces to do that with from the kitchen department you get
the cabinets from. Just 2 or 3 times the price :-)

I don't know of a reason that you can't but I've not seen that
layout. The most important 3 things to work with when laying out a
kitchen is the stove, the sink, and the fridge. You want to make a
triangle out of those if possible such that you can easily move
between the three. When you are cooking that's the common travel
paths. Dishwasher is usually loaded from the sink so you want the
dishwasher close to the sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You would need support. *You could do it with a piece of wood and a
small piece of vertical front. *I just buy the same kind of wood as
the cabinets and stain and seal that sort of stuff myself but you can
usually get pieces to do that with from the kitchen department you get
the cabinets from. *Just 2 or 3 times the price :-)

I don't know of a reason that you can't but I've not seen that
layout. *The most important 3 things to work with when laying out a
kitchen is the stove, the sink, and the fridge. *You want to make a
triangle out of those if possible such that you can easily move
between the three. *When you are cooking that's the common travel
paths. *Dishwasher is usually loaded from the sink so you want the
dishwasher close to the sink.

The dishwasher is next to the sink. This is a galley type kitchen, so
I'm trying to come up with the best use of space and countertop work
area.
The gas/water/drain lines are all on one wall, so I'm pretty much
limited as to where to put the stove/DW/sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 12:13*pm, Mikepier wrote:
[...]

I have a galley kitchen at our lake house and it has sink and
dishwasher on one side. Fridge and stove on the other. I like that
division as it creates reasonable space for counter top on both
sides. It's nice to have counter top on both sides of the sink and
the stove. And on the door opening side of the fridge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

So that would mean that your kitchen would have the sink/DW/range
on one side of it and the fridge on the opposite side... The work
triangle would still be triangular in that configuration... You will
enjoy
having all the counter space above the DW between the sink and
the range... Just make sure that if you use a dish rack that you
have room for it on the opposite side of the sink to keep the counter
clear for prep and cooking on the range...

It sounds like a thick sheet of plywood 3/4" would support the
granite counter-top over the dishwasher with some sort of frame
at the top to support it which would stiffen the plywood and
brace it along the wall... As others have said you would trim
the visible edge of the support with a piece that matches the
face frames of the cabinetry...

I would finish the exposed side of the plywood on the range
side with a tough high gloss paint in a color compatible with
the kitchen OR install laminate on the sheet of plywood that
matches the color of the range -- this will make cleaning
the grease and gunk that gets down there from cooking on
the range MUCH easier and won't provide greasy wood which
pests like to eat as food if you ever have pest control issues
in the future... Leaving raw, unfinished wood in a kitchen is
just not something that should be done, especially when it
is located directly next to the major source of grease in
the kitchen...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I'm doing a layout of a new kitchen in a condo. One idea I had was to
put the dishwasher next to the stove, but then I was wondering, when
we put the granite countertop, where would the countertop rest on
where the DW and stove meet? Seems I would have to put in some kind of
support or filler in between to support it.
Has anyone ever done it like this, or should a base cabinet be put
between the stove and dishwasher?

I agree with James. You need a support but it does not need to be a killer
one. A 3/4" end panel with a 3" filler strip on the front and back to form
a vertical truss will do the job. The countertop should be supported all
along the wall with a ledger board.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 6:58*am, Mikepier wrote:
I'm doing a layout of a new kitchen in a condo. One idea I had was to
put the dishwasher next to the stove, but then I was wondering, when
we put the granite countertop, where would the countertop rest on
where the DW and stove meet? Seems I would have to put in some kind of
support or filler in between to support it.
Has anyone ever done it like this, or should a base cabinet be put
between the stove and dishwasher?

This isn't germane to your question, but have you checked out the pros
&cons of granite? I've seen negatives about staining, etc. Not
minding your biz, but sometimes an app gets popular, like granite,
and people take it for granite (bada bum bum bum).

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I'm doing a layout of a new kitchen in a condo. One idea I had was to
put the dishwasher next to the stove, but then I was wondering, when
we put the granite countertop, where would the countertop rest on
where the DW and stove meet? Seems I would have to put in some kind of
support or filler in between to support it.
Has anyone ever done it like this, or should a base cabinet be put
between the stove and dishwasher?

No countertop, granite or otherwise, rests atop the dishwasher.

The countertop must be self supporting - the dishwasher fits in a cavity
(else how would you ever replace the dishwasher). Therefore you have to
construct some sort of supporting mechanism for the countertop irrespective
of what goes below the counter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 5:28*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
I'm doing a layout of a new kitchen in a condo. One idea I had was to
put the dishwasher next to the stove, but then I was wondering, when
we put the granite countertop, where would the countertop rest on
where the DW and stove meet? Seems I would have to put in some kind of
support or filler in between to support it.
Has anyone ever done it like this, or should a base cabinet be put
between the stove and dishwasher?

No countertop, granite or otherwise, rests atop the dishwasher.

The countertop must be self supporting - the dishwasher fits in a cavity
(else how would you ever replace the dishwasher). Therefore you have to
construct some sort of supporting mechanism for the countertop irrespective
of what goes below the counter.

You need a 3/4 inch piece of plywood for an end panel, with some sort
of finishing strip vertically along the front edgo for appearances. I
can't think why you would need a 3" wide front pice except for
appearance, the 3/4" plywood should be able to support the granite
with no problems
Posted to alt.home.repair

We have the dishwasher next to the range. The counter top is Corian so not
as heavy as granite, but it has set securely over the 3/4" plywood support
for over 20 years. The plywood is not even faced. The front edge is set
back about an inch behind the front face of the countertop and behind the
front of the stove and the dishwasher and is, for all practical purposes
unnoticeable.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On May 25, 5:28pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I'm doing a layout of a new kitchen in a condo. One idea I had was to
put the dishwasher next to the stove, but then I was wondering, when
we put the granite countertop, where would the countertop rest on
where the DW and stove meet?

Is this a narrow galley with everything on one wall? Or are both walls
going to have countertop? If so, try to avoid putting them together. I
think in time you'd find it annoying.

The DW should be next to the sink. Ideal is to have the DW next to the sink
and close to the cabinets where the dishes are stored. That gives the least
amount of steps to load an unload. You want the fridge to be across from
the sink and prep counter also. If you look at kitchen designs, the goal is
to have a triangle of those three items to minimize steps. If possible, the
sink should be under a window for best lighting, the stove on an outside
wall for easiest venting.