Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Kitchen design: Can Dishwasher go next to stove?

On May 25, 12:13*pm, Mikepier wrote:
You would need support. *You could do it with a piece of wood and a
small piece of vertical front. *I just buy the same kind of wood as
the cabinets and stain and seal that sort of stuff myself but you can
usually get pieces to do that with from the kitchen department you get
the cabinets from. *Just 2 or 3 times the price :-)

I don't know of a reason that you can't but I've not seen that
layout. *The most important 3 things to work with when laying out a
kitchen is the stove, the sink, and the fridge. *You want to make a
triangle out of those if possible such that you can easily move
between the three. *When you are cooking that's the common travel
paths. *Dishwasher is usually loaded from the sink so you want the
dishwasher close to the sink.

The dishwasher is next to the sink. This is a galley type kitchen, so
I'm trying to come up with the best use of space and countertop work
area.
The gas/water/drain lines are all on one wall, so I'm pretty much
limited as to where to put the stove/DW/sink.

So that would mean that your kitchen would have the sink/DW/range
on one side of it and the fridge on the opposite side... The work
triangle would still be triangular in that configuration... You will
enjoy
having all the counter space above the DW between the sink and
the range... Just make sure that if you use a dish rack that you
have room for it on the opposite side of the sink to keep the counter
clear for prep and cooking on the range...

It sounds like a thick sheet of plywood 3/4" would support the
granite counter-top over the dishwasher with some sort of frame
at the top to support it which would stiffen the plywood and
brace it along the wall... As others have said you would trim
the visible edge of the support with a piece that matches the
face frames of the cabinetry...

I would finish the exposed side of the plywood on the range
side with a tough high gloss paint in a color compatible with
the kitchen OR install laminate on the sheet of plywood that
matches the color of the range -- this will make cleaning
the grease and gunk that gets down there from cooking on
the range MUCH easier and won't provide greasy wood which
pests like to eat as food if you ever have pest control issues
in the future... Leaving raw, unfinished wood in a kitchen is
just not something that should be done, especially when it
is located directly next to the major source of grease in
the kitchen...

~~ Evan