Banty

Default Kitchen design - dishwasher next to stand-alone range?

I'm getting my kitchen totally remodelled soon, and one detail to be worked out
is how to get the sink (I want a double sink) centered under the current window
opening. One thing that would work would be to place the dishwasher next to the
range. Kitchen designer says it's not done. I'll get back to him to iron out
that last details before anything's ordered to bang the rest of these details in
place and I'll pursue it again then, but what do folks here say?

Is there a reason to be at least cautious about placing a dishwasher next to the
stove. It will be an 18" apartment-sized dishwasher, if that matters.

Banty

user

On 12 Sep 2005 06:21:58 -0700, Banty wrote:
I'm getting my kitchen totally remodelled soon, and one detail to be worked out
is how to get the sink (I want a double sink) centered under the current window
opening. One thing that would work would be to place the dishwasher next to the
range. Kitchen designer says it's not done. I'll get back to him to iron out
that last details before anything's ordered to bang the rest of these details in
place and I'll pursue it again then, but what do folks here say?

Is there a reason to be at least cautious about placing a dishwasher next to the
stove. It will be an 18" apartment-sized dishwasher, if that matters.

It depends on how far away from the sink the dishwasher is. Typically it
will share the same supply/waste lines as the sink, but if they're
separated, it can be a pain to run them.

From a personal point of view, I'd rather keep them apart anyhow, as
we are typically loading/unloading the dishwasher while the other
person is cooking, and the two activities would most certainly
interfere with each other.

- Rich

SQLit

"Banty" wrote in message
I'm getting my kitchen totally remodelled soon, and one detail to be

worked out
is how to get the sink (I want a double sink) centered under the current

window
opening. One thing that would work would be to place the dishwasher next

to the
range. Kitchen designer says it's not done. I'll get back to him to iron

out
that last details before anything's ordered to bang the rest of these

details in
place and I'll pursue it again then, but what do folks here say?

Is there a reason to be at least cautious about placing a dishwasher next

to the
stove. It will be an 18" apartment-sized dishwasher, if that matters.

Banty

Your kitchen your choice. Screw the designer.

All you need is a dishwasher blank to cover up DW on the stove side. It
will be nosier this way cause there is less cabinet for the noise to be
absorbed by. This would not be my first choice. Doable none the less.

Where are you getting your 18 inch DW? manufacture, model, price? Please.

Banty

In article , SQLit says...

"Banty" wrote in message
I'm getting my kitchen totally remodelled soon, and one detail to be

worked out
is how to get the sink (I want a double sink) centered under the current

window
opening. One thing that would work would be to place the dishwasher next

to the
range. Kitchen designer says it's not done. I'll get back to him to iron

out
that last details before anything's ordered to bang the rest of these

details in
place and I'll pursue it again then, but what do folks here say?

Is there a reason to be at least cautious about placing a dishwasher next

to the
stove. It will be an 18" apartment-sized dishwasher, if that matters.

Banty

Your kitchen your choice. Screw the designer.

Sure.

But what I'm trying to find out is - what could be his motivation for keeping
the DW away from the range. Is there a heating issue or some other kind of
issue that I should be taking into account? So far, the only thing that has
been brought up is some kind of cabinet that doesn't give as much noise
buffering as other kinds.... But that is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

All you need is a dishwasher blank to cover up DW on the stove side. It
will be nosier this way cause there is less cabinet for the noise to be
absorbed by. This would not be my first choice. Doable none the less.

Where are you getting your 18 inch DW? manufacture, model, price? Please.

Sears. Maybe not sure of the size..(I'm posting from somewhere else at the
moment).

Banty

Banty

In article , user says...

On 12 Sep 2005 06:21:58 -0700, Banty wrote:
I'm getting my kitchen totally remodelled soon, and one detail to be worked out
is how to get the sink (I want a double sink) centered under the current window
opening. One thing that would work would be to place the dishwasher next to the
range. Kitchen designer says it's not done. I'll get back to him to iron out
that last details before anything's ordered to bang the rest of these details in
place and I'll pursue it again then, but what do folks here say?

Is there a reason to be at least cautious about placing a dishwasher next to the
stove. It will be an 18" apartment-sized dishwasher, if that matters.

It depends on how far away from the sink the dishwasher is. Typically it
will share the same supply/waste lines as the sink, but if they're
separated, it can be a pain to run them.

It would go on the other side of the sink from where it is now in the drawing
plan. It would go between the sink and the stove.

From a personal point of view, I'd rather keep them apart anyhow, as
we are typically loading/unloading the dishwasher while the other
person is cooking, and the two activities would most certainly
interfere with each other.

THere are two of us in the family, and it's a galley kitchen. If one person is
doing something while the other is cooking, it would be opening the fridge. And
I don't leave stuff in the dishwasher to be pulled out - it's a dishwasher, not
a dish cabinet. Although I do remember how it was living with housemates -
there are a LOT of people who use it that way. Not us

So, as long as a counterspace can go on top of it, unless there is some physical
concern with having the two appliances next to each other, I'm fine with it.
But I'm asking here what such concerns there may be...

Banty

Tom

..

[...]

That's how it's installed in my house. I've noticed no noise problem and
I've had both styles of DW, there (one with plastic tub and one with
Stainless tub.) You'll need, as was mentioned, a cabinet end panel with 1
1/2 to 3 inch spacer to support the countertop. Watch that the contractor
installs the end panel so it is solid and doesn't move when done (properly
affixed to the floor, countertop and back wall), The only place to buy an
18 inch dishwasher and get it in a reasonable time would be Sears. They
cost somewhere between $400 and $500.
Tom